5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!
Published on 8 Aug. 2003 by Victoria

1.0 out of 5 stars Shabby spine
Speedy delivery but the first time I opened the book the spine came away. As it was an Xmas present and I had no time to return it I had to glue the spine back on myself, very dissatisfied.
Published on 20 Jan. 2013 by lucy

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!, 8 Aug. 2003
This book i thought was going to be full of incoherent mumblings about fathoms and linear models but instead of a physics lessons i got very in depth, easy to comprehend information about waves. this helped me, as a surfer, understand the waves and which in turn brought my surfing to a whole new level. I fully recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in the sea, whether you are a surfer of just a gazing out to sea kind of person!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book for understanding waves, 19 April 2007
This review is from: Surf Science: An Introduction to Waves for Surfing (Paperback)
after surfing for many years i have a fair knowledge of weather and how waves are created but this book really helped me take a step up in my understanding. Easy to understand and a must buy for anyone interested in wave creation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relevant Science for Surfing, 1 Nov. 2009
K. L. Hermanson (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
I like this book. It gives a good introduction the science behind waves and their formation and transformation as they travel towards the coast. Good for anyone who fancies starting to find their own breaks and make their own forecasts from buoys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surf Science: An actual decent book for Surfing, 9 Jun. 2010
This books has been one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long while on a technical subject. Really well structured with enough simplification to make it accessible to all but there is still the background detail such as equations provided in separate boxes, should you be feeling keen.
The title is self explanatory, it provides an excellent overview of the hugely complex mechanisms at work to provide us with waves we can surf. I thought that the authors did a great job of building up the story and explaining the various components that combine to provide the weather patterns necessary to produce waves. They also explain how the waves tend to travel and organise after being generated, so you understand when the best waves may reach your break from a given weather system. There are also chapters explaining what happens as the waves get closer to the coast and how the shape of coastline and seabed will dictate how the waves ultimately break.
If you want to understand when the next good swell should be coming and why, get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, 2 July 2010
I'm just 19 years old, and one of my A Levels was Geography. I had a solid base of Geography and how the world works from this point; nevertheless, this book has deepen my knowledge in the subject and put everything that I knew together, gaining a clear and global view of the formation of the waves and how everything works and how it's interconected, starting from the Sun heating the Earth in different ways and even building a strong knowledge on prediction.
I highly recomend this book to anybody interested in Surfing and that isn't content to just surf the waves but is willing to understand how, why and when they reach the coast. It is even usefull for people that don't surf or that are doing A Level Geography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense Surf Science Book!, 26 Mar. 2010
Mr. V. Bull "VFMB" (UK) - See all my reviews
Hi Guys

For one, if you're interested in surfing and how waves/forecasting work, definitely buy this book.
As far as the company goes, I had a quick and painless delivery and the book arrived in good condition, plus I believe that I got a really good value for money deal.
I'll leave the decision to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 10 April 2012
This book is realyy intresting for learing about waves and weather in general it give you a really good understandinng of how our planets weather systems work as well as how wavesa are made and it helps you understand when there will be waves etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good condition 2nd hand book, 26 Dec. 2013
Arrived promptly and in excellent condition for a 2nd hand book. Was expecting to see writing and markings in the book, however it is completely devoid of anything. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars surf science book, 1 Dec. 2013
i knew this particular book was what my nephew wanted as he is very interested in surfing and paddle boarding - it's going to be a great Christmas gift for him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book about waves, 2 Jan. 2014
I find it an interesting book about this phenomenon essential for surfing. But I don't think it will help me surf better.
Still it's worth the money.

Surf Science: An Introduction to Waves for Surfing
Surf Science: An Introduction to Waves for Surfing by Rick Grigg (Paperback - 27 Jun. 1905)
Used & New from: £0.80