5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic - pleased it is still in print., 24 Aug 2010
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Life with the Leica (Hardcover)
I love this book. I initially read it about 15 years ago and re-read it again recently. Its the reason I bought my first Leica and since then I have had several.

The book is well written informative and a great biography. To be frank I love Cartier-Bresson but his writing is pretty paltry compared to this.

If you buy one book about Leica or photographers which use one, then I would recommend this as the best book I have ever read on the use of one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Leica Book, 13 Mar 2010
P. Wendes "zen machine" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life with the Leica (Hardcover)
A charmingly written account of the author's involvement with the Leica camera. With some excellent photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a biography, 18 May 2014
This review is from: My Life with the Leica (Hardcover)
if largely forgotten today, Walther Benser was the foremost advocate of the Leica for many years. This isn't a comprehensive biography, it's more a collection of sketches of passages in his life, many of which were more than a bit fraught. He was an employee of the Leitz company, and travelled extensively extolling the Leica. He gave illustrated lectures in several languages; and it's amusing to learn how he accomplished the apparent fluency in Italian and French.

An entertaining series of sketches; you won't learn much that you didn't know about Leica—though his initial interview with Hr dr Leitz is unusual, and quite upsets the stereotype of the patriarchal head of the typical Germanic firm.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'My life with the Leica' book., 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Life with the Leica (Hardcover)
A very good read. Takes you through most of the life of Walther Benser from the very earliest days at Leitz, through WW2 and his photo agency in later years. A large percentage of his life was also spent touring giving slide shows/lectures. Do not expect a book on Leica cameras although, of course, he used various model Leicas exclusively throughout his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Nov 2014
most informative

My Life with the Leica
My Life with the Leica by Walther Benser (Hardcover - 8 Oct 1990)
Used & New from: £4.60