5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Foot Recovers Shelley For The Revolution, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: Red Shelley (Paperback)
I have waited for an affordable copy of this book for many years and I was not disappointed. Foot weaves the poetry of Shelley brilliantly into the social and political struggle of the early nineteenth century. He shows convincingly that Shelley was aware and had sympathy for the struggles of ordinary people. Like Foot, Shelley turned his back on his class and supported the campaigns for social justice by the emerging working class (and this was before Marx!).

I read *The Revolt of Islam* in 1966; I was seventeen years old and had been banned from school two years before. My teachers had not told me anything about this guy's poetry. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the poem was not about Islam but about the consequences of the French Revolution and the role of women in those consequences. I wish I had absorbed this more fully.

One small gripe is that there are several typos but these did not spoil my great enjoyment reading this book.

Finally, I wish to add that I met Paul Foot several times and he was one of the funniest people I have met. He died in 2004 and is sadly missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Red Shelley" - the Real Shelley, 23 Oct 2009
Emily Weissang (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Shelley (Paperback)
This incisive analysis of Shelley's political work was a truly inspirational read! The driving force is the idea that Shelley has been misinterpreted since his work was first published, by conservative and reactionary scholars who refuted Shelley's strong, often radical political messages - atheism, feminism, republicanism (each examined in detail) - because they offended, or opposed the idea of Shelley as the "ineffectual angel" of Romantic lyricism. It presents a far more exciting aspect of Shelley's poetry, who was more philosopher than perhaps all of his popular contemporaries.

Having just started A Level English Literature, i had a limited experience of literary criticism aside from the recommended Leavis (who is held to account by Foot for his savage attack on Shelley in his "Revaluation") However, this book opened my mind to different viewpoints in literary criticism, and how a critic's political viewpoints can seriously skew their views of writer's works.

The analysis is backed up with plenty of relevant historical context (ie. reactions to the French Revolution), and is written in an extremely readable style - so i would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in Shelley, be they a student, or a poetry fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shelley WAS Red, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Red Shelley (Paperback)
I first read this book many years ago and remain grateful to Paul Foot for rescuing Shelley from the condescension of the romantics, who tried to ignore what he felt was his more important thoughts. His thinking is being rediscovered again, and this is a thundering good introduction

Red Shelley
Red Shelley by Paul Foot (Paperback - 6 Jan 1995)
5.77