5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise
As a complete beginner to cheese making, I found this book absolutely perfect. It went through each step in detail, and gave information on what each achieved.

There are a large number of recipes available, all of which are very straight forward and very tasty!

Published on 29 Jun 2009 by andymahoney

1.0 out of 5 stars Little use
I found it of little practical use for home cheese making. If I wanted to make cheese on industrial scale I guess I would have employed some one with the knowledge of cheese making rather than buying her book.
Published 17 months ago by S. Jahromy

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, 29 Jun 2009
This review is from: Cheesemaking and Dairying: Making Cheese, Yoghurt, Butter and Ice Cream on a Small Scale (Paperback)

My only gripe is that the pictures are all in black and white, which makes it a bit difficult to figure out what's going on sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheesemaking and Dairying, 16 Mar 2006
Like all Katie Thear's books this is a model of how to write a book that deals with the practicalities without a lot of fluff. It's incredibly well researched and illustrated, and deals with all the processes of making cheese and other dairy products in a staightforward, step-by-step manner. If you want to make good cheese, buy this book! It's the tops!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cheese, something missing., 18 July 2008
I would probably give this book 4.5 out of 5 if I had the choice. It is a very good guide to making my very first cheese. Lots of recipes and pictures. Most of the information is there, even if it is a little difficult to find in the book. I would have liked slightly more details, especially about sterilising at home. But otherwise I'm very pleased with it. I am about to buy a second book as I am left with a feeling that there is more information out there that would help me.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent introduction to the subject, 21 Dec 2009
This is a great book if you want to know the basics of how to make cheese, yogurt, cream and other dairy products at home. It isn't big on the recipe side of things but then I wasn't interested in recipes, I really wanted to know about equipment, procedures, techniques and basically how to be hygienic and not poison myself or my family. This is the book you need. I already know how to make ice cream, butter, yogurt and soft cheese like mozzarella, but this book covers those as well as hard cheeses so it's quite a good reference book even though it's quite small. Another review mentions the lack of colour photos and I did think this would bother me but really all the products are going to turn out in various shades of white/cream/yellow anyway, so colour photos would probably be a waste of money. I have already bought some supplies and look forward to start on my cheesemaking soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mine of information, 21 Feb 2010
Sebastien Muller (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
Katie Thear's book gives a very good overview of cheesemaking techniques. There are quantities of informations available, precise temperatures, acidities, times, pressure...

I chose this book because it covers several dairy products: cheese, yoghurt, cream, ice cream, butter... Though this broad scope suggests a beginners book, the reader is often left with a precise recipe without practical help should anything go wrong.

All in all however, a very good source of information and a good place to start. But be prepared to ask a forum on the internet if you need further help.

5.0 out of 5 stars She knows what she's talking about., 12 Aug 2009
Mr. R. West - See all my reviews
Being a keen but not necessarily adept cook, this book was exactly what I wanted to make my own dairy products. Easy to follow, no attempts to blind with science but based on the results of the recipes they are clearly all tried and tetsed before being published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 April 2009
I have previously made quite a few cheeses and was looking for more technical detail. This book is great if like me you want to know that little bit more than just recipes. Good for beginners too but for the price I don't think you can beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 6 July 2011
I have several Cheesemaking books, and have been making cheese for a while now, though whilst my other books are fairly good, this one (I feel) contains information that the other books had missing. I agree with another persons review on here, that it is a practical read, I think its straight to the point. I am very keen on making seriously good cheese and this book I reckon is going to help me achieve my goal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheesemaking finally clarified!, 20 Sep 2012
Before reading this book, I was confused about the whole process of making cheese, since it's a delicate procedure that needs close attention to temperatures and times.

Now I can safely say I've made four great cheeses, with fresh herbs, from both goat's and cow's milk, and it is extremely satisfying!

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little treasure, 30 Sep 2011
I bought this book because it was mentioned when I was looking for a recipe of cheddar on the Internet and I am very glad I did it. Very easy to follow and contrary to what other reviewers I found it very logical and very completed with tempetures, acidity, problems to overcome and the type of cultures to be used on each trecipes. I think is a very well illustrated too and the diagrams are very understandable step by step. The recipes are all in alfabethical order too. The author gives the alternative of speeding the cooling process putting the pan over another container of cold water which I always do to all my cookings. For the amount of information and research I think this book is very good value for the money. I recommend this book especially to beginners.

ARRAY(0xaf383f30)