50 PIC Microcontroller Projects: For beginners and experts
Price:£36.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 October 2010
I've had this book about a month or so and have found i to be excellent so far. It took me a good while to get started because I bought all my own parts and ended up spending loads of time pratting around and getting myself confused. Getting the WISP648 programmer to talk to my laptop was a particular ball-ache but this was mostly down to my own stupidity and I got there in the end.

I decided to buy this book rather than the previous (and currently cheaper) one because I wanted to be able to get relevant parts (particularly the programmer) as easily as possible. With hindsight, I think I probably made the right decision. I would definitely advise anyone thinking about buying this book to have a good look at the website and price out all the necessary bits though. This project has become a lot more expensive than I originally anticipated. I'm happy to have spent the money for what I'm getting out of this but I guess others might feel differently. I should also say that most of the necessary stuff can be bought from the "voti" link in the book description page on the pubishers website.

As for my background, I'm a confident programmer but know practically nothing about electronics. This books approach has suited me well. To be honest I don't think I'd have struggled had I been a novice programmer either. Happily I'm also finding the book to be quite readable. I suspect that the same can't be said for some others in this field.

In conclusion, I whole-heartedly recommend this book to everyone, but suggest that any potential buyer spends a little time considering the overall costs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 14 July 2012
If your into pic programming using Assembly language like me, then dont bother with this book as its useless.
It only uses JAL, which is no use to any user who uses pics in their own assembly code.
It has been written from dutch into "American English". Only uses the 16F877a pic, dosen't use MPLAB, uses some other editor called Jal Edit, which you have to install from their web site.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again