VINE VOICEon 29 December 2009
If there is one book to inspire and introduce the art of both proggy and hooky mats(rugs)then this is it. There are basic instructions on how to make the two different types of mat and tools and materials required but the main focus of the book is to give a history of the rugs with many fantastic examples that have been donated to Beamish - the North Of England Open Air Musuem. I have some tools handed down through the family and have been to identify what they are for and even who made one of them from this book. This craft is great for the current climate of reuse/recycle all that we can.
on 27 April 2013
This book is lovely. It has loads of peoples' memories about how rug-making was a part of everyday life. It plumps out the visions we have of the times, in a warm and cosy, domestic way. Poverty and thrift has inspired so many beautiful crafts!
Part of my family emigrated to Australia from Northumberland in the 1850's and so I feel a bit chuffed with discovering this heritage. The lives (as I imagined) of my great-great grandparents have a new dimension to them now.
The book simply and helpfully lays out the methods. I am able to make a frame and set about with my own rugs without too much ado. I just need a bigger kitchen!
It's not an expensive book, and the history of the area (and the craft) is delightful to read. It's well worth buying!
on 3 June 2013
I have made rag rug for many years and have all sort of books on the subject from the UK and USA but this is the best. I would recommend this to anyone who has the slightest interest in crafting rugs. It gives instructions for several methods as well as an insight into just how important the craft has been to earlier generations. I want to visit Beamish Museum now to see the rugs in situ.
on 12 May 2013
Very clear descriptions and well presented. I have enjoyed reading it and have made use of it to make reames etc.