TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 October 2013
I owned some of the stuff when I was a kid and thought I was well versed in the products of this company until I owned this book. There are items I never even imagined listed here, but the variations of what I thought were familiar items was the real shock.
To people who owned train sets from the age of plastic Hornby Dublo would be a revelation just from their sheer weight. Then there was the crisp detail and definition and the paintwork and transfers to consider, all superb.
The locos seemed to peerform better because their weight gave more traction, but that is enough about the items rather than the book.
I found there were variations in paint finishes as in matt or gloss listed here. There is a list of liveries that were not widely available and all pre-grouping and BR types are listed. Then the masses of variants in the trucks and owners wagons which one never saw at the time.
THe book is a little bit anorak in its coverage, but that is actually what is needed for full coverage.
on 19 August 2011
I recently started to collect old Hornby Dublo model trains, and this book is essential reading for those who want to learn more about the subject. I read it from cover to cover over a week or so as bedtime reading. it certainly increased my knowledge of this great product, but most of all it brought happy memories of my childhood flooding back, and would do so a for large numbers of people born around the middle of the 20th century. Sadly the authors knowledge of prototype railways is a little wanting, and one or two 'howlers' have crept into the book.
That said the book is nicely produced and the colour pictures and artwork generally make this a nice book to have on one's shelves.
on 3 February 2014
An essential tomb for a Hornby collector.I have learnt a lot I didn't know and much more.Very well illustrated, a must.
on 24 March 2010
I'll keep this review brief, I bought this book (based on good reviews as a present for a friend who has collected 00 gauge for years and is already quite knowledgeable, but even so, he has found it to be a riveting read, full of interesting material that he had not previously known. To be recommended as an authoritative reference volume to all interested in Dublo and a great "coffee table book" for dipping into for the rest of us!
on 11 April 2014
A definitive work on the subject. Great illustrations an added bonus.
No stone left un-turned, This book will never be bettered.
on 7 August 2014
If you want a complete reference book on Hornby Trains this cannot be beaten. This book is one of my prised possessions.
on 15 May 2012
The market for this book is the baby-boomer male, nowadays in, or nearing, retirement. As one such, I find this book very enjoyable. I spent my formative years, mid 1950's to early 1960's, playing with my Hornby Dublo, drooling over the catalogues, and marvelling at the ring field motor powered City of London pulling a rake of eleven or more coaches (unheard of in those days!) around the track in the window of Surbiton Model Shop.

This is one of my books that I get out in bed before I go to sleep, and simply look at the pictures just like I did when I was a pubescent lad. None of this worrying about the prose! Look at the pics!

I'm sure there is material enough for a second volume of this book so I would certainly like to encourage somebody to produce one. I'm afraid though that £50 is a bit on the high side for simple nostalgia for me, and I bought mine second hand for £20. For £50, I could buy a good example of a common Duchess, or half a dozen trucks or carriages, or ---

Some of the second-hand versions of the book out there came onto the market as free come-ons to take out a subscription to a book club, so I presume they can be produced more cheaply. Anyway, why not buy one for your Granddad this Christmas?
on 3 June 2015
arrived within specified time, as described, very happy.
on 25 July 2014
Excellent product, great service
on 19 August 2012
This book covers just about every product produced under the Hornby Dublo label and much
of the reasoning behind each model. I can't imagine how it could be improved upon
without including the actual models discussed. ;-) Many of the illustrations are reproductions of black and white Meccano Magazine reviews, articles, adverts etc.
Would colour actually improve those?