5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners
Published on 6 April 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars not enough on lawn repair
Though it deals with many aspects of lawns ,i couldn't find what I wanted on a lawn which was suffering from various problems in different parts of the lawn, better off trying searching google for a remedy.
Published 14 months ago by pedro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 6 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
If like me your new to the idea of owning a lawn then this book is invaluable. It takes you clearly and simply through the steps required to get rid of the weeds and encourage the grass. Everything is covered from garden tools to lawn seed, weeds to wildflowers. There's also a very useful garden calendar with monthly jobs laid out. My only slight criticism is finding your way around the book, but it's not a huge book so it's not that big a problem. Simply, if you want a first rate lawn buy this book and follow the instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally comprehensive, 21 Nov 2006
Martin Tallett (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
I have had this book for years and read it when I first got it. A first class reference book and "recipe" for a perfect lawn. Has sections on types of grass (how many?) weeds and pests that you get in lawns and a useful section on what to do in each month of the year. Follow this for a few years and you will end up with a beautiful English lawn. But beware you won't be doing anything else its a full time job !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but very much for the titular expert, 23 Jun 2010
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
This publication has been around since 1997, though its dated layout and graphical design reflect its part in a series of books that have been around for decades. Evidently, the author sees no reason to change a successful formula. Well, "if it ain't broke, don't mend it", they say. The design of the book is pleasing, with plenty of little sketches of plants and equipment; though to my eye the page layouts look a bit messy, with inconsistent page design, and artwork in varying styles throughout. It really could do with a revamp.

It certainly lives up to its title, with a huge amount of information on every page, covering the whole gamut, from designing and creating a lawn, to feeding and caring for it, dealing with pest, weeds, and so on. It also covers such topics as meadow creation and non-grass lawns.

Having said this, it is very in-depth and perhaps too complicated for the casual gardener. The clue is in the title, I suppose, so I `m not complaining. However, if, like me, you have an average lawn that you just want to be tidy, this is probably not the book for you. I simply don't have the spare time to dedicate to pottering with the lawn to the extent prescribed in this book. I'm not trying to win a medal; I just want a lawn that involves as little effort as possible.

While this is a really good, thorough book, if you are not interested in a lawn fit for a Wimbledon final, but just want your basic tidy lawn for the kids, then I suggest you have a look at Titchmarsh's book, "Lawns, Paths and Patios".

5.0 out of 5 stars Grass for fun or purpose, 3 Mar 2010
K. E. Lidington (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
Any bit of ground can grow grass and add to life. This book shows how to do it.
For those with lifeless lawns, where bald patches and discolouration have appeared without warning; for those with worn-out patches and overused paths; those with areas where nothing grows except mushrooms and litter: here is the answer.
Grass is fun. You can relax on it, play on it, exercise on it and sit and ponder on it. Any bit of ground will do, provided you know how to bring it to life.
This book makes it possible. No matter how unpromising the patch may look, or how disappointing an existing patch may look, here are the answers to turning it into what you want it to be.
Novice or old hand; back yard or estate: everything you need to know in one easy-to-read volume.
Beautifully illustrated and written to be understood. Buy this and you can ignore all the hefty technical tomes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 16 April 2012
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
I bought this book after asking a friend of mine who was a landscape gardener about laying a new lawn, he told me the best advice he could give was to buy this book. I read this book from cover to cover and then started preparing my site 'by the book' and then laid my new lawn with complete confidence. The results are amazing and I feel confident that with the knowledge I have learned from this book my lawn will be of excellent quality and well maintained.
The way this book has been written is very clever where the Dr starts by setting out basic knowledge then leads up to actually laying the lawn itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all lawn lovers, 24 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
Lawns cover more than half of most gardens and yet there are very few books devoted to lawn care. Dr Hessayon, in his own inimitable style takes the novice greenkeeper through all the basics of lawn management, from feeding and weed control to seasonal maintenance. All of the advice is sensible, practical and above all easy to follow. As ever, the advice is didactic but one is left with a simple, annual scheme for lawn improvement. I have used Dr Hessayon's first edition with good success and can highly recommend the second edition for all gardening enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lawn Expert, 7 Oct 2011
D. W. Stanton "Derek" (Marlow, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
I have found this book excellent. It has already helped me to make improvements to the health of my lawn and although I am not a keen gardener, I have really enjoyed following the advice given in Lawn Expert. Highy recommended for all of us who need help with their lawns.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Grass Whisperer., 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
Dr Hessayon's gardening books are very good and this one on lawn care is no exception. The book arrived very promptly from Amazon and was in pristine condition (Unlike so many at my local garden centres) and it was 2 cheaper. The book is printed on quite thick paper which makes it appear a little thicker than the content really requires but consequently the print quality is good and the pages more hard-wearing especially useful if you're reading it outside in all weathers. The technical information is top-drawer. Different types of grass, weeds, care, fertilisers are all listed and described in great detail. It is very well written, easy to understand but has plenty of technical detail. Mowing, raking, scarifying, seeding, turfing; you name it, it's all here and covered well with clear diagrams for those of us who like to look at the pictures too. For a good all round view on lawns and green areas this book is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every gardeners Bible!, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, well written and easy to understand. I bought this as a replacement for a copy I have had for over 10 years, and which had become worn out through use. I refer to it throughout the year, and if ever I have a problem on my lawn, I can usually find the answer here. There are lots of useful tips and I wouldn't be without it.If you are looking for a book to help you have a great lawn, then this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great explains everything in good detail, 3 May 2013
A. Genge (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lawn Expert (Paperback)
The only minor issue is I think some of the information is now a little dated. But I am no expert so I cannot be certain.
But for a second hand cheap book bought from oxfam on amazon. It's all win win!

The Lawn Expert
The Lawn Expert by Dr D G Hessayon (Paperback - 7 April 1997)
5.59