5.0 out of 5 stars The language barrier

Published on 3 Feb 2010 by Mrs. C. Callaghan

5.0 out of 5 stars The language barrier, 10 April 2009
Mrs. Stephanie Beal "Poirot" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I have bought two of these over the past year for friends. One was from Australia and the other from Lancashire. Whenever we conversed I would automatically slip in one or two Yorkshire slang words and they didn't understand me so I bought them each this book so they could translate the slang. They were both highly delighted with the book and it helps spread the word that Yorkshire is a diverse, rich place to live or visit as well as giving a small insight into our heritage. It's pocket size, so easy to carry around as well as being interesting to read. Even I used it to look up a word or two - and I'm a Yorkshire lass through and through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire English, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I have to say there are a lot of words and sayings in this book that I have never heard of ... I'm born and bred in York itself and was hoping for a few more local terms also it is smaller than I expected. However the ones we use that are in the book, are written well, and it does bring a smile to your face. I never realised before really how we put words together and make one long one ..... e.g. What's up with her? = supwier? LOVE IT!! At the back of the book are sentences I have to say this is my favourite part as it's funny and very true. This book is definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
Bought this as a socking filler for some American friends that came to visit for Christmas. Went down really well and they kept reading it all day and asking lots of questions about Yorkshire expressions. This was well received, nice glossy cover. Very slim and small format but a super gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
This book is quite small, but great fun. Its full of phonetically written Yorkshire quotes, with the English translation written next to it... a great gift for your bestmates new in-laws form Lancashire

5.0 out of 5 stars yorkshire book, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
as i come from yorkshire i found it so true all the sayings but now some yorkshire folk don,t talk as broad as that any more maybe some older folk

4.0 out of 5 stars Overseas Verdict, 17 Jan 2011
N. Hunt "nicolamill3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I bought this for Friends in Australia who are coming to the UK this year. They were very impressed. As a Yorkshire person myself, I thought some of the translations were a bit 'Off', but then Yorkshire is so big, some words differ from area to area.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect gift for anybody new to the yorkshire dialect!, 13 Sep 2009
A. GLEW "artist and reader" (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
i bought this as a fun little gift for my boyfriend. he's irish, and usually finds things about my yorkshire accent comical. He still appreciates this little gift months down the line... he had a good time reading and quoting the content from the book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Jubley!, 8 Dec 2009
A. Jewitt (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
A rate book- A book to be well and truly proud of...even if you have lost your yorkshire roots!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire English, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
It's a laugh and very enjoyable. I'm glad to have this as I always hated the way my town was removed from Yorkshire with no ones consent. Thank goodness we've been put back in.

3.0 out of 5 stars YORKSHIRE ENGLISH - WELL SOME OF IT ANYWAY, 3 Feb 2010
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
THIS LITTLE BOOK IS OK BUT I WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT SO MANY WORDS WHICH I THOUGHT TO BE OF COMMON YORKSHIRE USAGE, ARE NOT INCLUDED. ALSO I FOUND ERRORS IN SOME OF THE TRANSLATIONS, UNLESS THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT MEANING IN OTHER PARTS OF YORKSHIRE TO THE ONES I KNOW THEM TO BE. I INTEND TO CONTACT THE AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK IF I AM ABLE TO DO SO TO QUESTION SOME OF THE TRANSLATIONS AND TO INFORM HIM OF THE ONES I FEEL COULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED. THIS BOOK COULD QUITE EASILY HAVE HAD MUCH MORE CONTENT SO I AM RATHER DISAPPOINTED BY THIS FACT.

Yorkshire English
Yorkshire English by Edward H. Johnson (Paperback - July 1990)