4.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire English

not what i had hoped
Published 2 months ago by Wendy Lord

4.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire English, 19 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I have to say there are a lot of words and sayings in this book that I have never heard of ... I'm born and bred in York itself and was hoping for a few more local terms also it is smaller than I expected. However the ones we use that are in the book, are written well, and it does bring a smile to your face. I never realised before really how we put words together and make one long one ..... e.g. What's up with her? = supwier? LOVE IT!! At the back of the book are sentences I have to say this is my favourite part as it's funny and very true. This book is definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The language barrier, 10 April 2009
Mrs. Stephanie Beal "Poirot" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I have bought two of these over the past year for friends. One was from Australia and the other from Lancashire. Whenever we conversed I would automatically slip in one or two Yorkshire slang words and they didn't understand me so I bought them each this book so they could translate the slang. They were both highly delighted with the book and it helps spread the word that Yorkshire is a diverse, rich place to live or visit as well as giving a small insight into our heritage. It's pocket size, so easy to carry around as well as being interesting to read. Even I used it to look up a word or two - and I'm a Yorkshire lass through and through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
Bought this as a socking filler for some American friends that came to visit for Christmas. Went down really well and they kept reading it all day and asking lots of questions about Yorkshire expressions. This was well received, nice glossy cover. Very slim and small format but a super gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
This book is quite small, but great fun. Its full of phonetically written Yorkshire quotes, with the English translation written next to it... a great gift for your bestmates new in-laws form Lancashire

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect gift for anybody new to the yorkshire dialect!, 13 Sept. 2009
A. GLEW "artist and reader" (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
i bought this as a fun little gift for my boyfriend. he's irish, and usually finds things about my yorkshire accent comical. He still appreciates this little gift months down the line... he had a good time reading and quoting the content from the book too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overseas Verdict, 17 Jan. 2011
N. Hunt "nicolamill3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
I bought this for Friends in Australia who are coming to the UK this year. They were very impressed. As a Yorkshire person myself, I thought some of the translations were a bit 'Off', but then Yorkshire is so big, some words differ from area to area.

5.0 out of 5 stars yorkshire book, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
as i come from yorkshire i found it so true all the sayings but now some yorkshire folk don,t talk as broad as that any more maybe some older folk

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Jubley!, 8 Dec. 2009
A. Jewitt (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
A rate book- A book to be well and truly proud of...even if you have lost your yorkshire roots!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire folk may raise a brow, but non-Brits will appreciate, 10 May 2015
Nicola_1202 (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
As a born and bred Yorkshirewoman, some of the phrases/translations are ones that my Grandad may have heard but are unheard of to me. However, I bought this as a jokey gift for an American friend, who finds some of my turn of phrases highly amusing, and they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's the ideal gift for a non-Brit.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book to read, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Yorkshire English (Paperback)
the book Yorkshire English is a very imformative read as well as well written and amusing book it gives a insite in to the great laugwich I would highly recormend the book a great read

Yorkshire English
Yorkshire English by Edward H. Johnson (Paperback - 1 July 1990)