5.0 out of 5 stars A Flawless and Compelling Reading of the K.J.Version
Published on 1 April 2008 by Mr. Archibald Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but poor sound quality
This would be a 5 star review had the manufacturers not spoiled the recording by trying to fit too many audio files on too few discs. For example: The entire new testement is on a single Mp3 cd! I am surmising that the low sound quality on the discs is due to overly high compression on the audio files. Otherwise the reader is fine though not overly remarkable. The bible...
Published on 16 April 2011 by Simon W

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Flawless and Compelling Reading of the K.J.Version, 1 April 2008
Mr. Archibald Brown "archiefrewbrown@hotmail.... (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
Scourby's voice is rich and deep, and, while presenting God's Word with appropriate gravity, is compelling, even breathtaking, in its clarity. I find myself sitting for hours, absorbing the timeless truths, read from a version I had thought to have left behind me in my youth. How could any Bible-loving believer decline to be drawn by such an offer? I was, and am most gratefully blessed as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage and Excellent, 14 July 2010
M. Maxwell-carr (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
First of all, I recommend this product to those who have at least some aquaintance with the Scriptures. This is because the translation is the Authorised Version and it can therefore be difficult to follow at times (although it is not as difficult as people generally make out, because Scourby's reading is just so good). The listening is not for those who desire indepth study of the Scriptures (anyway, you would probably use a printed Bible for that). But what this product does promise is great aid to the person who seeks to get to grips with the whole Bible - an aim which is greatly to be desired, especially today. Many Christians are very poor when it comes to reading the whole word of God. We tend to select bits we like and neglect huge portions of other parts, mainly the Old Testament Law and Prophets. As a result, we have become deficient in biblical doctrine and our knowledge of this God whom we claim to worship. However, as one listens to Scourby's reading, one cannot ignore the fire of God's holiness and justice, His hatred of sin and rebellion, and His general majesty.

The Old Testament in particular comes alive through this reading of the Scriptures. It honestly feels like an epic journey, which you want to repeat again and again. You feel like you are there. As Scourby goes through chapter by chapter, you find yourself drawn to listen to just one more chapter, until eventually, you have finished the book and want to start the next. I was most astonished when I listened to Leviticus. I said to myself: "Forget detail - just try to get to grips basically with what is going on." And I got through Leviticus in just 2 nights! And it was not a burden; it was a great joy. I have always liked Leviticus since. Sometimes I think that you will be frustrated that you cannot follow what is going on. But do not be troubled. Ask God for guidance. Seek to be more familiar, at least, with all of God's Book and He will bless you greatly and use you to build up His people.

The product is actually very good. I have put it all onto my Ipod. They are not CDs though; they are MP3s. So you will need to upload them onto your computer and either listen from that, or transfer them to your MP3 player or Ipod. At the price this is being sold for, it is an absolute bargain. It is by far the cheapest version of Scourby's reading that I have seen. Plus, the quality is superb, considering it was done around the mid-20th century.

Alexander Scourby's reading of the Bible helped me so much in my early Christian experience. His reading is excellent and totally original. So many audio Bibles have been produced now, but this one is the classic version of the Bible being read out-loud right the way through. It deserves to remain respected as such. Scourby's voice has been called: "The Voice of the Bible" - once you listen to it for a length of time, you will know why. It has helped many people, including myself, and I thank God for this man and his voice. Whether he was a believer or not, God can use anyone He pleases. And it just so pleased God to use this man in the reading of the Holy Book. Of its kind, this is a product which is very difficult to surpass.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is classic, 18 July 2010
Jia (MANCHESTER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
Pros
(1) This is a classic record of Bible. Voice was deep and authentic. Good pace, fast but not rushing.
(2) The sound quality is excellent. All files are in MP3 format, sample rate is 128 kbps. This is a clear recording.
(3) No soft music whatsoever. Brilliant!!! Exactly what I am looking for.
(4) Price is very affordable.

Cons
(1) Plastic case is flimsy. One hinge broke in 2 hours upon arrival. Nevertheless, it's no big deal for me. I loaded everything onto my iPod.
(2) File names were a mess. Same goes to the MP3 tags. I have to manually edit half the MP3 files to bring them up to my standard.

Conclusion
Highly recommended to everyone. This is the best KJV audio version, period.

5.0 out of 5 stars mrs E, 18 July 2009
E. NNANNA - See all my reviews
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
Its the best product i have ever bought for myself. It gives the me the opportunity to hear the word of God all the the time, especially in a time like this when all you hear around the world is negative news.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Voice of the Bible" ?, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
To be honest, I had low expectations - King James 'Olde Worlde' Version and potentially 'overwrought' reader. How wrong was I. Alexander Scourby reads this amazing version beautifully and for me, he will always now be 'The Voice of the Bible', (as it has printed all over the CD's).
There has been a lot of press recently to coincide with the 400th anniversary of the KJB and one thing I learned was that the King's main objective was to produce a very faithful translation that was designed to be read aloud to the congregation. All I can say is that it worked! The language is magnificent and thoroughly understandable to a modern ear - even the genealogies, which are difficult to read and are frequently skipped, are wonderful to hear.
I'm probably gushing a little, but this set is fantastic and at a bargain basement price.
WARNING - This version has CD's that contain MP3 files i.e. you must download them into your computer library e.g. iTunes and then onto your MP3 player. You cannot play them directly in a CD player, but it is considerably cheaper than the version that you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellente!!! Highly recommended!, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
This Mp3 Bible Audio is excellent and highly recommended. The voice is clear and dramatic. I always have a very busy week, so it helps me to listen to portions of the Bible everyday. I've already transferred it into my phone and my laptop via windows media player. I listen to it in the bus or walking in the road and I love it. The whole Bible comes alive and clear.

Be assured, the words are clear, dinstinct and no background noise or music. You need a 3.5-4.0GB memory card to get it into your phone. It features in my phone as songs, so i navigate through it with the same tools for my phone media player.

Mr Scourby reads it chapter by chapter; he introduces each book and each chapter before he reads them. So I always know which chapter he is on. If you want to learn more about the Bible especially those minor prophets of the Old testament, pls pick up this item. You won't regret it.

Don't hesitate to buy it, it is AWESOME for any Bible loving student.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best audio of The Bible!, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
What can we say? Alexander Scourby was the man for the job! I am an American, but also a Brit. I have listened to so many readings of the King James Bible and I must say that the harsh American accents available are not pleasing to me. Mr Scourby comes from Brooklyn, just like me, but what a wonderful gift of a voice he has! I always thought he was British! So soothing, so full of meaning & emotion. My husband & I have used these recordings for decades - our 5 children & ourselves would go to sleep listening to the cassette tapes. I bought this CD series as a gift to my husband as our cassette tapes finally gave up. These recordings lift our spirits & teach us the Bible like no other recording. The CD's work perfectly & are very clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!!!!, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
If you are going to get an audio bible-please buy the KJV Scourby Complete audio Bible. You would need to download it and arrange it according to the books(which will take some time-but its worth it).

Since purchasing this audio bible(a month ago)-I've read the books of Genesis,Exodus,Matthew and Mark.If I was reading it by myself-I wont have read so much.The best way to use it-while listening to him read the bible-follow along by reading your bible.

Alexander Scourby makes the bible come alive with his rich voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Mar 2012
O. Awe - See all my reviews
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
Product was as described in the advert. Really good. Useful to know you can soak up the Word even when you do not have the time to read. Great companion on the road etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a bargain. ., 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD (MP3 CD)
This has been a great buy. There were one or two comments about the quality of the recording but I have found it to be just what I was looking for. The narrator has a really nice, easy to listen to voice. The language in the KJV is also very rich, so this out ways any technically issues for me (not that I have found very many). If you want an audio bible but do not want to spend money you don't have, this is the one for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD
KJV SCOURBY COMPLETE BIBLE AUDIO MPS CD by SCOURBY ALEXANDER (MP3 CD - 19 Feb 2008)
11.95