4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Read
Published on 27 May 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars not too keen
Not nearly enough stories on actual possessions and exorcisms that the author had dealt with, just snipets. The most interesting bit in the book for me was the possession case reported by the victim, that, I found, very interesting.

Published on 10 May 2010 by Lotus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Read, 27 May 1999
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
This is a surprisingly quick read considering how much information is in this book. Fr Amorth discusses multiple cases and reveals the many different types of evil activity that the exorcist may encounter, and how to deal with each. I found myself wishing for a lot more detail and a list of reference books. What will strike the average reader most is that all the grimness you expect in exorcism accounts, such as The Exorcist film or Malachi Martin's work, Hostage to the Devil, is largely absent. He presents the reality that the power of Jesus Christ is more than sufficient to overcome diabolic activity and protect the exorcist as well. I recommend the book wholeheartedly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Divine Combat - A warrior reports from the front-line., 23 Jun 2001
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
Extract 1: One day Father Candido ( the author's teacher ) asked a (possessed) thirteen-year-old girl, "Two enemies, who hated each other all their lives, hated each other to death, and both ended up in hell. What is the relationship that they will share now, since they will be with each other for all eternity?" And this was the answer: "How stupid you are! Down there everyone lives folded within himself and torn apart by his regrets. There is no relationship with anyone; everyone finds himself in the most profound solitude and desperately weeps for the evil that he has committed. It is like a cemetery."

Extract 2: At the end of the most difficult exorcisms, when I am confronted with total demonic possession, I pray the christological hymn of the Letter of Paul to the Philippians (2:6-1 I). When I speak the words "so that all beings in the heavens, on earth, and in the underworld should bend the knee at the name of Jesus", I kneel, everyone present kneels, and always the one possessed by the demons is also compelled to kneel. It is a moving and powerful moment. I always feel that all the legions of the angels are surrounding us, kneeling at the name of Jesus.

The above two extracts give a sense of Fr. Amorth's book. He comes across as a saintly man who, unlike many other priests, has no fear of evil, and sees exorcism as part of his ministry, just as hearing confession, saying masses, etc. He points out that today the Protestant churches, particularly the Pentecostals, have taken the lead in casting out evil spirits ( demons ) - the Catholic hierarchy & theologians tending to deny their existence .

My only wish is for more of the above anecdotes - actual encounters with evil forces, instead of the very extensive background on the current "state of play" in the Church, coverage of spells, curses, witchcraft etc. Fr. Amorth states that his own faith has been immeasurably deepened by these living encounters, despite his initial sense of inadequacy, and I feel that they are indeed the most inspiring parts of his book.

Perhaps he will write a follow-up, to include more of this "divine combat".

1.0 out of 5 stars not too keen, 10 May 2010
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)

There is too much in this particular book aimed at witchcraft, spiritism, black magic etc. At one point, I could have sworn that the author was saying that unless we pray daily, we will get possessed! I am sure he didn't mean to say that, but that, for me, was the way it came across.

I think it is wise to stand back and take stock of things, balance is what is needed, because without balance, the scales will tip one way or the other and both are fanatical.....

5.0 out of 5 stars possesion is 9/10th of the law, 10 May 2011
Finbarr J. Smyth (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
This book is exactly what I was looking for,
It is not sensationalist, hollywood movie stuff.
I am not interested in newage style books and this is not one of them,
It is the story of an Exorcist as the title says.

And reads as if the person were speaking with you.

All in all an easy read, and informative.

3.0 out of 5 stars An eccentric little book, 14 Jun 2008
Aquinas "summa" (celestial heights, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
Fr Benedict Groeschel hits the nail on the head in his introduction when he says that Fr Amorth speaks of "a world that vacillates between severe rationalism and wild speculation." Inconsistency, a certain wildness and an unintended humour must also be added to the list:

"It is often said that the cat is an animal who "absorbs spirits" and that evil spirits assume the resemblance of a cat to go undetected. For certain warlocks and some forms of magic the use of cats is fundamental. I want to make it clear that this is not the fault of this charming house pet." (page 127) I admit that this last sentence made me laugh aloud.

He also gives useful plumbing advice: "Nothing must be thrown into the toilet or sink; when this happens, often the entire hourse is flooded or every drain becomes plugged" (page 135)

For an example of wild speculation, see pages 160 and 161 on sorcerors: "I will mention again that healings can occur through demonic intervention possibly under the guise of extraterresterial beings or guiding souls"

Nonetheless, notwithstanding these faults, Fr Amorth's testimonies are in line with the Word of God and sacred tradition. We would be foolish to ignore his warnings concerning the real activity of fallen angels in the life of the world; until the end of time, Satan remains the Prince of this World. Only blindness can prevent us from seeing this fact.

I would recommend his second book; it has more balance and less wildness. I would also recommend "The star of Satan", a dark novel by George Bernanos (cited by Paul VI in his famous 1972 allocutio on the existence of a personified evil)and noted in Amorth's second book. Note that it is not in print and thus a second hand copy will need to be obtained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a ghost story, 9 Aug 1999
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
When anyone asks if I believe in ghosts, I say no. But when I then tell them I believe in demons, they are surprized: either that I'm so medieval in my mindset, or by their own sudden realization that, whether they believe in ghosts or not, there are worse things. I do not believe in the "supernatural" but angels, fallen or not, are part of the created world we inhabit. This little book is an excellant primer on demons -- who they are and what they want. They are fallen angels and they want our damnation, in the same way Samson took as many people as he could out with him. Although written plainly, without gimmicks, without shock, the book slowly horrifies. It's a must-read for anyone who cares about what we're up against. But it is also a book of hope, for the demons are defeated by Christ, though yet powerful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wake up call to the simplicity of evil., 26 Jun 1999
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
A fascinating expose of the simplicity of evil in our everyday experiences. Clarifies our understanding of "The Fall" and the helpfulness of good angels as opposed to the nastiness of fallen ones. I have a much better understanding of the source of peoples unhappiness...A very helpfull book although sometimes repetitive. An excellent guide as to how better to pray for ones own protection and for others - A very well worth read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stark reminder of the activities of the evil one, 19 Nov 2005
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
A book which challenges those today, even in the church, that view the need for exorcism as redundant in the face of modern day science. Here a faithful priest imparts an earnest desire to renew the school of the exorcist in each diocese throughout the world. You will be shocked, surprised and maybe even empathise with his accounts following many years as an exorcist. If you are a Catholic priest this book will assist discernement. If you have lost belief in the work of the evil one then be renewed and be challenged. Written in the early 1990's it paints a sad picture of the devils ability to encourage catholics, including many if not most of the hierarchy, in westernised countries to deny his existence.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exorcist Tells His Story, 20 May 2010
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
A very readable book with prayers at the back. As I currently live in a house widely reputed to be haunted with numerous sightings over the years, I found the prayer against evil of particular help.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exorcist Tells His Story, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: An Exorcist Tells His Story (Paperback)
Fr Amorth grabs your attention!
This is a 'must-read' - I believe it begins to explain why the world is in such a mess today. The sequel is even more enlightening.
So many changes in the Church - in hindsight mostly to our detriment (in my opinion!) were introduced during the 60s and 70s. How we have suffered since then.
Powerful prayers that we said during attendance at Mass were discontinued and are rarely said today. Look at how the world has changed!!
Are we any happier? Are we any richer?
Read a good book and you will definitely benefit by it! This is one of them!!
Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

An Exorcist Tells His Story
An Exorcist Tells His Story by Nicoletta V. MacKenzie (Paperback - Mar 1999)
9.89