5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still trembling...
Published on 19 Jun 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a serious book in the literary sense: merely a yarn
I do not wish to be a dissenting voice but this book is not a serious book in the literary sense. I got the book because Peter Kreeft had described O'Brien as like Dostoyevsky. And, thus my comments must be seen in light of that: I was expecting some outstanding literature. Sorry, Peter, but you are way wide of the mark.

This is simply an apocalyptic yarn. The...
Published on 28 Jun 2008 by Aquinas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still trembling..., 19 Jun 1999
This review is from: Father Elijah (Paperback)
O'brien manages to write a book unlike any other I have ever read. Fueled by a profound faith in orthodoxy, he paints the modern culture wars in a blazing light. I began hesitantly, afraid that it was another consrvative with a chip on his shoulder, but O'brien is far from limited in his faith; rather, his characters pulsate with the same love for beauty as dostoevski's Brothers, with that wry wit of Chesterton's most developed characters, and with the relentless faith of so many martyrs. His vision of our times may seem incredible, but what gives the novel life and voice is that it is so absolutely tied to reality; the all-encompassing tolerance of the president disguising a distinctly intolerant and damning view of the Church, the daggers in so many men's eyes, the dismissal of natural law in favor of a doctored humanism, the violence of the anti-population movement-- all resound as terribly telling signs of our times. Aside from the remarkable sense of telos and faith, O'brien's work is astoundingly literary, with textured hints at Tolkien, Chesterton, Dante, Dickens, St. John of the Cross, Dostoevski, and even Teilhard de Chardin. It is a wonderful novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Catholic answer to Philip Pullman?, 18 Nov 2002
F. Roberts (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Father Elijah (Paperback)
I did not like the look of this book. I am prejudiced about North American apocalyptic literature - religiosly and historically illiterate nonsense usually. And I didn`t like the dialogue as I skimmed read the first few pages [actually I still don`t like a lot of the dialogue]. But the cover review from Stratford Caldecot and the fact that it camre from Ignatius won me over.
Thank God.
This is one of the most extraordinbary books written in recent decades. As Lewis said of THE LORD OF THE RINGS, this is lightning from a clear sky. Partly Dostoyevsky, partly Williams or Lewis, imagine if you can a novel written by von Balthasar or Adrienne von Speyer. This in a way - though too difficult for most children - is the Catholic reply to Philip Pullman`s "war in Heaven" in HIS DARK MATERIALS. I want everyone I know to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best novels of this genre, I have read., 30 May 1999
This review is from: Father Elijah (Paperback)
I started to read this book during a retreat, and I simply could not put it down. The author not only tells a good story, but brings out the compassion of our Lord Jesus Christ in the person of Holy Mother Church. While this book is fiction, there is an element of truth that tells me that what he decribes could happen in the near future. I certainly want to read more of Mr. O'Brien's other works. Deacon John T. Cretaro

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable blend of fiction and theology., 27 May 1999
This review is from: Father Elijah (Paperback)
In Father Elijah, Michael O'Brien has reinstated my faith in Christian literature. A well-paced, referenced, and cultured yarn setting the stage of history's last days, and remaining within the context of the Biblical testaments, Old and New.
O'Brien's Catholic orientation should not offend other beliefs, but instead humbly purports the importance of remaining true. Truth is not only worthy of making a stand, but we separate ourselves from it if we don't.
His ability to portray real Virtue is refreshingly counter-cultural to our Western lifestyle today.
A wonderful story of the Day, of Love, of Adventure and Journey. Although one might find reason to edit or critique a select character or tangent, Father Elijah contains literary greatness that provokes and inspires. Again, my faith is renewed!

5.0 out of 5 stars An exemplary novel!, 21 April 1999
This review is from: Father Elijah (Paperback)
An exemplary novel of living the Catholic Faith with an overhanging chill of apocalypse, Father Elijah inspires a deepening of faith. This novel, while not the best written literature, provokes a multitude of thoughful questions. It asks the reader to consider God's ways, to delve one's self into spiritual warfare, to return to a more conservative Catholic viewpoint (however, conservative and liberal are not good words when dealing with faith), and to examine our lives "For you know not the moment" of his return. The novel makes the human-spiritual struggle more real. HIs writing style is unique, in that the words take on symbolic and literal emaning simultaneously. His satirical comments and his devout faith makes the novel more enjoyable. This novel has increased my faith and has encouraged me to pursue my own goals in writing. I recommend this book highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars sometimes as good as Dostoyevsky, 7 July 1998
This review is from: Father Elijah: An Apocalypse (Paperback)
A very good Catholic novel. At its best, reminded me of Dostoyevsky. A monk, a former Jew who escaped from the holocaust, is given the commission from the pope to witness to the man who is on his way to become the anti-Christ, seeking the salvation of his soul. Some spy-novel kind of intrigue and, sometimes, fast-paced action. But the dialogues are profound, devout, inspiring, and marvelously written. In some ways like a Roman Catholic Frank Peretti, but written with the skill of a true artist and a the soul of a pious mystic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "couldn't put it down because it made me think" novel., 21 Aug 1997
This review is from: Father Elijah: An Apocalypse (Paperback)
Because of its true-to-life characters and relevance to the state of the world today, "Fr. Elijah" was hard to put down. My only disappointment was that when the book was over, the story wasn't. The book, however, is complete and can be read with no prior knowledge of the author and his works.

While the term "apocalyptic" can properly be applied to this book and its themes, it's not at all a "scary" book, one meant to frighten, like so many "end of the world" books. This book made me think, made me look around and look within. If you've read any "apocalyptic" literature, including Biblical texts, you'll find "Fr. Elijah" much easier going, much closer to the real world, while still remaining challenging and accessible. I can't wait to read more by Michael O'Brien.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best novel I have read with a Catholic background, 3 May 1997
This review is from: Father Elijah: An Apocalypse (Paperback)
This is at last a serious,well written book that ranks right up there with the best literature. It contains well delineated characters and it makes a lot of commentary on our society today with a sense of urgency. This is without question the most refreshing book I have come across in the 90's. I understand the book's appeal might not be so great for people who don't have a Catholic background, but this is must read for anyone who doesn't understand what is wrong with our modern world. It is also scary reading as anyone who is a serious thinker has to wonder how far are we from the events described in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CATHOLIC NOVEL EVER WRITTEN, 1 Mar 1997
This review is from: Father Elijah: An Apocalypse (Paperback)
If you want to know what is going on within the Church RIGHT NOW then read this wonderfully well written book! Set against the backdrop of the time of THE Antichrist, which, as we know from Church Fathers, and approved sources, cannot
happen until after a yet to come Age of Peace, this book has
some frighteningly accurate scenarios. READ IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, exciting, uplifting...., 25 Aug 2011
This was a real surprise. A compelling and well written book, full of warmth and hope. The only disappointment was that it didn't last longer as I was truly bereft when I had finished it... it was my new best friend for the three days it took me to read it.

What's it about... well, it's about faith, light, darkness and love... with the triumph of love.

Just be advised that you should read it...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Father Elijah: An Apocalypse
Father Elijah: An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien (Paperback - May 1996)
Used & New from: 3.68