5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published on 12 Jun 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read of a difficult if not tumultuous jorney.
Scott and Kimberly Hahn have provided a guide to the turmoil that a conversion of faith can cause an individual, family and friends. This book maps the jorney of each partners struggle to a truth that they knew would eventually overwhelm their lives and livelihood. After reading this book I think back to their trying times and commitment to God often and with great...
Published on 2 Nov 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 12 Jun 1998
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
By reading this book you can clearly see the Lord working in the lives of the Hahn family. The book is easy to read (I read it in a day) and gives good views of what the Catholic faith is all about. However, this book does not go into much detail. It merely explains what the beliefs are and some Bible references to back it up. It is definitely not a book that will explain all the answers, yet it certainly does make you think and want to read and discover more. I have had the great opportunity to meet Mr. Hahn and I must say that that I was even more impressed with him than I expected to be. The book clearly shows his personality and the love that he and his wife have for the Lord. A definite read for all Catholics and non-Catholics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and hard to put down, 30 Jan 1999
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
I read this book in one day. It is so interesting I just couldn't stop. People of all religions should read this book. Searching for the truth is not always easy but this book gives all the reasons why the Catholic Church is the one true Church. Anyone who has questions about Catholics beliefs or practices, can find answers here in this easy to read book written by the Hahn's.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Process Faith Through Our Intellect, 5 April 1999
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
As a convert to Catholic Christianity from evangelical Protestantism, I could relate to the Hahn's experience on a strictly sympathetic level alone. However, there are a multitude of issues involved with a conversion, all of them springing from the fundamental('scuse the pun!) issue of faith. Like the Hahns, my basic desire to know God more personally and deeply, and to be forgiven more personally and deeply, led me to question the doctrines taught by various churches, doctrines which--like it or not--express where we are coming from on the deepest level of faith, as long as we make full intellectual assent to these doctrines. To dismiss the Hahn's conversion as nothing more than legalistic wrangling is naieve at best. To divorce faith completely from intellect is an outright denial of the human condition. The struggle of the Hahn family toward what they believed was God's best plan is touching and I, for one, was pleased to know that others can make conversions based on choices that reflect the whole, marvelous range of human experience--including but not limited to the intellect! Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking, inspiring and humbling book for anyone., 16 July 1998
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
The journey of two highly intelligent bibilical scholars from protestant beliefs to Catholicism struck me as an incredible journey. The personal struggles as they came to grips with what their heart told them as true was touching. What is more important is how they used their expansive knowledge of scripture and christian doctrine to affirm Catholicism. It makes casual Catholics fell pretty humble in light of their struggle and appreciate what all there is out their to understand.
Great book for Catholics and non-Catholics!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb and inspiring read., 24 Dec 1999
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
I find the sort of Bible punching, blind faith, muscular Christianity from whence the Hanes started their journey deeply unattractive, as I suspect do many. It is the face of the Reformed faith which I believe has contributed much to the collapse of formal religion in the West. As the Irishman said when asked the way to Dublin, "If I was going to Dublin, I wouldn't have started from here."
However, I made a similar journey to the Hayns forty years ago, starting from agnosticism. I have not once in those forty years regretted my decision to become a Catholic.
In spite of my reservations, I found this book an absolutely compelling read and finished it in one day. Once I had picked it up, I could not put it down. It has left me with a deeper appreciation and love of my Catholic faith, for which I am grateful to Scott and Kimberly. I can't wait to get my hands on some of their tapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good discussion..., 14 May 1998
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
Set this book aside only if you may be afraid of certain ideas... and a man's search for truth. Logical in its progression, rational in its arguments, this book provides food for thought for anyone who desires to see and understand all sides of Christianity. There will be those who shoot arrows at it merely for its premise... but most, I think, will delight in the challenges or affirmations it might give to their faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the heart of the the Roman Catholic Church!, 5 Sep 1997
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
Rome Sweet Home is an inspiration to Catholics and non-Catholics alike. An encouragement to those afraid of a committment to the Church, and a source of education for Catholics who want to learn more about their faith. In the practice of highlighting important and inspiriational sections of a book, I almost highlighted the whole thing!! They (Scott and Kimberly Hahn) are a blessing to us all!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was a turning point in my spiritual life., 5 Sep 1997
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
"Rome Sweet Home" is one of those rare books that inspires the reader to prayer and devotion to our Lord as well as educates the reader in Catholic apologetics! This is a great book for anyone who has had their Catholicism challenged and was wondering why they believed. It will give Catholics inspiration to be re-excited about their faith, the gift of the Eucharist and Mary's role in our spiritual lives. For non-catholics, it will help readers understand the Catholic faith through the eyes of a learned, Protestant Seminary Professor who, in seeking truth through scripture, saw that the Catholic Church was THE church of Bible-believing Christians. This book shows how a young Protestant couple initially struggled intellectually and socially with "Turning to Rome", but how the Holy Spirit worked in their lives to lead them Home. It's easy to read and entertaining. I've bought at least 12 copies to give to friends and family, and my friends and family have typically read the book and been so impressed that they have passed it on to others. This book helped me (a life-long Catholic) to more fully appreciate the aspects of my faith that I had previously taken for granted, and it continues to inspire me to Scripture reading, prayer and devotion to the Lord.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful and inspiring reading., 21 Feb 2006
Mr. J. M. Ginebra Serrabou (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
Conversion seems to be as much about a change in intellectual convictions as a change in life convictions. This book captures the couple's journey through both. It shows us that even with a clear intellectual conviction, it is the perfectly acceptable "small" things in life such as our family, our partner, our friends what makes conversion very hard. Like wolves in sheep's clothing.
While the book is interesting for non-catholics, it is a must-read for catholics that need to revamp their religious life. It reminds us that conversion should happen everyday and if we are not fighting, we are going backwards.
A delightful and inspiring reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 8 April 1998
This review is from: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (Paperback)
This book is truly fantastic - a beautiful description of how, first, Scott, and then his wife Kimberly, came to understand the truth of the Catholic Church, and all the difficulties they endured in this journey. I would recommend this book highly to Catholics and Protestants alike.

Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism by Kimberly Hahn (Paperback - 1 Oct 1994)