4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and pretty easy intro to veg cooking, 13 Jan 1998
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
Definitely a fun cookbook. It's a good guide to preparing some fun and interesting vegetarian foods. The recipes are easy to follow, and not too complicated at all. It's a collection of recipes which were prepared at the Moosewood restaurant, a vegetarian collective. The book is illustrated with a series of pen-and-ink drawings and cartoons. These drawings, along with the hand-lettered text, give it a fun, friendly feeling. In the first edition of the cookbook, this feeling of cooking as fun, and vegetarian cooking as a rich and varied cuisine was enhanced by the choice of recipes, including some which weren't necessarily good for you, but ended up tasting stellar. The updated edition, unfortunately, attempts to make many of the recipes healthier, by cutting oil, cholesterol, and eliminating some of the classic tasty yet dreadfully unhealthy recipes. In my experience, the modified recipes occasionally come up short of the mark. This book is still entertaining, and certainly worthwhile to have around, but if the opportunity presents itself, try to dig up a copy of the original cookbook rather than the recent edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes have TONS of variety, simple preparation., 25 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Moosewood Cookbook (Hardcover)
I purchased the Moosewood Cookbook last summer, during one of my many attempts to revive the "health" level of my diet. I'm so glad that I added this book to my collection.
The recipes use a wide variety of ingredients. So, you'll never get bored if you cook from it on a regular basis. The variety in the collection also allows you to make use of fruits and vegetables that are in season throughout the year.
The time required to prepare most dishes is under an hour. This makes the book ideal for weekday cooking, a time when most of us should be eating better, but don't due to busy schedules. I made the vegetable chowder for dinner last night. I needed about an hour total. The result was a delicious, healthy, lowfat meal in a bowl. Perfect for a hectic Wednesday.
Finally, I'd like to say that everything I've cooked from this book has tasted FABULOUS! I haven't missed the fat. I love the fresh ingredients, particulary the use of herbs. And I love the fact that I'm eating healty food that also tastes wonderful.
Hats off to Mollie Katzen and the Moosewood crew. This book is a godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm neither an experienced cook or a vegetarian but using this book I've cooked some great food that people have raved about. The recipes are easy to follow and in such beautiful language that it makes other more modern cookbooks look dull in comparison.

I'd recommend this book to bachelors, students, families and experienced cooks alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vegetarian cookbook that's not just for vegetarians, 15 Dec 1998
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
I've been a vegetarian for many years now, and I love this cookbook - it has heaps of recipes for healthy, delicious, interesting vegetarian food. But what I think makes "The Moosewood cookbook" stand out is that non-vegetarians love its food too : my "meat with every meal" parents praised its Spicy Tomato Soup recipe, my "steak-and-boiled-veg housemate" praised its Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche. And my prawn-loving boyfriend thinks that its Indonesian Gado-Gado (steamed and fresh vegetables, fried tofu, and boiled eggs under a spicy peanut sauce) is superb. Oh, and my omnivorous-and-vegetarian friends adored the Creamy Mushroom Bisque. This cookbook has something - well _several_ somethings - for everyone. Follow the instructions carefully, and you're bound to get plenty of compliments for your cooking !

4.0 out of 5 stars better than some uk books, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
This book contains a selection of delicious recipes, but be warned, you will need to search online for a comprehensive list of foodstuffs and their weight in USA cups! I found a couple which I printed off and tucked inside the book. One word of warning, beware of buying a second hand one from Amazon marketplace sellers - my book stinks to heaven of a damp musty cellar, has writing on most of the pages and some pages bent and torn. World of Books are to blame! Will avoid in future.
Otherwise, treat yourself to a good vegetarian book with confidence, Moosewood is worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
Everything about this book is attractive. It appears to be hand written with illustrations also by the very talented author. It makes for a very good read too - the presentation is so good that you find yourself immersed in the recipes and the details - before you have even got to the oven! The ingredients are not difficult to source and she does not resort to over-spicing things which a lot of the more modern vegetarian cook books sometimes tend to do. This is a good all round every day use cook book and I wish I had discovered it years ago. It was well worth the small amount I did pay for a second hand book, and better value than some of the more glossily illustrated ones on today's shelves!

5.0 out of 5 stars food for the soul, 9 Jun 2011
Ms A. Cameron (argyll, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
Having orginally used this book during my 90's health kick/vegetarian lifestyle when I lived in Paris...I was extremely pleased to have another copy as I lost the original on my travels. The recipes are as tasty and tempting as they were back then...and have stood the test of time. Good wholesome food for the soul :-) <3Moosewood Cookbook Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Dec 1998
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
Now that so many of us are incorporating meatless meals into our diets, every cook needs to have more vegetarian recipes at the ready. This wonderful cookbook is just the ticket, with its delicious, classic recipes ... detailed down to their prep time. You'll savor the flavors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious..., 21 Nov 1998
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
I live in a kosher college house, and we use Moosewood weekly. It has great vegitarian recipes, healty and delicious. Yum.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, warm-fuzzy vegetarian, 25 Oct 1998
This review is from: Moosewood Cookbook (Paperback)
try the samosas and spinach-rice casserole. options for vegan variations. never tried a bad recipe from this book!

The Moosewood Cookbook
The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (Hardcover - Jan 1986)
Used & New from: 3.49