5.0 out of 5 stars As it turns out, we've all met one.
Published 13 months ago by Wintatron

3.0 out of 5 stars same book as The Empathy Trap
Very disappointed as I ordered The Sociopath at the Breakfast Table and it is the same as The Empathy Trap so have basically got two books the same under a different title. Bit of a cheek really. The book is good but the titles are disceptive rather like the sociopaths that it hi-lights!!!
Published 11 months ago by LizC

5.0 out of 5 stars As it turns out, we've all met one., 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Sociopath at the Breakfast Table: Recognizing and Dealing with Antisocial and Manipulative People (Paperback)
Sociopaths aren’t just crazy, dangerous, even darkly glamorous folks you read about in books or see in movies, and often they are not a thing “that only happens to other people”. After reading this, I am pretty certain I have encountered my fair share of them: people without empathy or conscience, charming perhaps, but cruel, manipulative, seemingly taking joy in inflicting pain on others, or at least not care if they do, as long as they get what they want. They don’t have to be of the scale of Hannibal Lecters or Patrick Batemans.
Identifying them as what they are is half the battle, and then knowing to remove them from your life like a nasty because there is nothing you can do to save or change them. The only thing you can do when encountering a sociopath is run for the hills.

However, this is easier said than done when said sociopath is a member of your family, or in other ways intrinsically linked to you. It’s even harder when you’re still a child and are completely at their mercy. This is where this book comes in. With the help of lots of case studies, it explains and illustrated the way sociopaths interact with their targets, how they are enabled, how and why they choose their victims, what type of person is most at risk, how to deal with complex family situations and how to remove yourself and your loved ones from their influence, as well as how to emotionally cope with the aftermath.

A compassionate, but honest and direct, and very accessible and useful read, I found myself highlighting lots of passages and taking notes. Can only recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - MUST READ, 20 Mar. 2014
BLUE FISH (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
WOW What an impact this book had on me and yes I have been down that road interacting with a sociopath down to control and manipulation. This is a cracker of a book which everyone must read as you really dont know what you are walking into when you have a sociopath in your life. They try to control, manipulate, bully, knock your self esteem and self confidence and it takes a very strong person to come up against one and walk away. I was able to relate to everything in this book, which has in-depth knowledge about the empathy circuit in the brain and the existence of a system of nerve cells called mirror neurons and how a sociopath can hone in on a vulnerable empathic person to harass and use abuse both on a emotional and physical level.

3.0 out of 5 stars same book as The Empathy Trap, 4 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking at normal people, 3 May 2014
Reading"The Sociopath at the breakfast table",made me to understand better,what I faced,to don't blame myself anymore for what happened,looking at this as a hard but usefull experience and aware me how to recognise and deal with sociopath people in the future.because wasn't I was he,wasn't me the wrong person not being enough emotional or not caring enough ,as has been told to me,so many times,was he with mental health illnes,who likes mind games on Dating site,abusing emotional ,psyhological and sexual ,harming and hurting a lot of women. Reading this sociopath profile I found the answers at my question regarding this person and what happened in fact to me, I found I've been pass through each phase beginning with assesment and finished with abandonment. I realised how Ill I've been (PTSD),but in the mean time how lucky to understand something strange was happening ,to check for advice,to accept and follow everything what proved to be helpful for my recovery,to be enough strong and fight to get my confidence and my self-estime back. Reading this book ,I found how to keep him at bay,when he's returning to remind me I've not been forget,using the same ruses and manipulations as in the beginning. Before to read the book ,I even didn't know these cruel people exist,moving free in society and sadly being on top positions ,in different jobs. I recommended everyone who's interested this book,very helpfull and usefull and I want to "Thanks",Jane and Tim Mc Gregor for wrotte it, sharing from their clinical experience with us,thinking and caring about the normal people.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sociopath at the breakfast table., 7 Feb. 2015
I have read other books of this subject but i found this book to be exceptionally helpful and true. I absolutely cannot recommend this book enough.!!!!! It is excellent. Understand how you can become a victim of a sociopath.!! Read this book and you will be understand the behaviour patterns of a sociopath. So much information and so well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jan. 2015
Brilliant art by my supervisor & her husband, l found cognitive resonance & generally eye_opening for the lay reader.

2.0 out of 5 stars all i can say is don't waste your money on this, 3 Aug. 2014
all i can say is don't waste your money on this, it went to the charity shop after i read it. nothing in here you didn't already know.