5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book on whitewater kayaking technique.
Published on 1 Sep 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars An out of date poorly presented book
I suppose it does tech you a lot of rolls. Does not have a back deck roll however. Play boating moves can not really be classed as play boating moves anymore.
Published on 27 Nov 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book on whitewater kayaking technique., 1 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Bombproof Roll and Beyond: Mastering Balance and Boat Control (Paperback)
Kayaking is a very complex sport. Paul does a great job of breaking down complex manoeuvers into their basic elements, and provides suggestions for drills on how to improve skills in these areas. I have been kayaking for several years (intermediate level), but even in the first few chapters I gained insight on things I could improve. I recommend this book for any kayaker, from the extreme novice to the expert. Even if you can do the things that Paul describes....he will help you understand HOW you do them; thus begins the journey to enlightenment and improvement.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, clearly written and sensible, 21 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I can echo the comments of the other reviewers of this book. It is very well written, clear with very practical and useful drills. I am a sea kayaker so some of the material will not apply, but with that said I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to understand the forces behind a good roll and various braces and who wishes to accomplish rolls in the most efficient manner. I wish us sea kayakers could get Paul interested in longer boats, choppy seas, and beach waves. We need his expertise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bombproof Roll and Beyond: An excellent tool., 11 Jun 1998
By A Customer
The Bombproof Roll and Beyond contains some key elements on learning how to roll. I already have a bomproof roll, but reading this book gave me a few more techniques that I would not have otherwise had. There are interesting tips later in the book on hole escapes and hole rolling.
Although this book is better oriented for the beginner, the nature of the information is of great use to experienced paddlers as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me., 20 Jun 2009
Mr. C. Scott "Chris" (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, United Thingdom.) - See all my reviews
I was not sure how helpful this book would be. Written in America, I thought that there might be some use of unfamiliar terminology, and that this might prevent the book being useful. My doubts were definitely not confirmed. The language and illustrations used are clear and easily understood and the reader is carefully taken step by step through a series of stages to rolling, and beyond, to the possibilities which this skill opens up.
Largely with the help of this book I have managed to orientate myself under water and complete a roll for the first time. This is ,of course, only the first step. I have become, as the book says, skill hungry and am looking forward to developing my roll and enjoying the confidence this has given me. I would definitely reccomend the book to anyone who is having trouble learning to roll or struggling with roll reliability.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Good if you can role, exellent if you cant"., 24 Nov 1999
By A Customer
I am a good grade 4 paddler and i could all ready role this book tought me a much better white water role. it starts with the basics and ends up teaching you tricks to show of with in the pool or at you local free style event.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth buying!, 4 Oct 2013
this book is very useful reading and has made a practical difference ! I would definitely recommend it to others

4.0 out of 5 stars The bombproof roll!!, 28 May 2010
Good book for beginners and Kayak enthusiasts to master ''the roll'' and to learn fundamentals of kayaking..the book explains everything very well...Dutky's application makes it look easy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and easy to follow, 5 April 2009
Robert Macrae - See all my reviews
I had a roll that usually worked; 175 well-written pages later I know why it sometimes failed and I have half a dozen new variants to play with.

2.0 out of 5 stars An out of date poorly presented book, 27 Nov 2003