5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 14 April 2009 by H. Voysey

2.0 out of 5 stars Conned
I was very disappointed in this book. I had not realised it was written 2008 and although the tips are useful the illustrations are sooooooo dated but not in a good way. This book should not be classed among recent books giving the impression it is also recent. I am terribly disappointed in it and its too heavy to pay for the shipping to return it. For the first time on...
Published 4 months ago by Dolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 April 2009
H. Voysey (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
I bought this primarily to help with the fabric choice and making of my niece's prom dress and was not dissapointed with the content. Every fabric you can imagine is described in detail with in-depth information on how it should be laundered, sewn, stored and pressed. There are lists and charts detailing needles, linings, interfacings etc along with their uses and how to deal with them. Along with basic sewing techniques there is one section which explains the 'burn test' to discover any fabrics fibre content. My 'fabric stash' is now in the process of being assigned to actual projects.
If you are a novice sewer or have years of experience, this book is the one title you can't live without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be without this., 29 May 2011
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
I've been working with fabric all my life, including making wedding dresses for family and friends, but this is the first textbook I wish I'd bought years ago. It begins with fabrics themselves, what they are, how to handle them, why they behave in certain ways and how to choose your fabrics for different uses. Sections on sewing techniques combine the very simple with the more complicated explaining clearly why and where each technique should be used giving accounts of personal experience throughout so you not only know it's all tried and tested, but you feel encouraged and enthused to try things yourself. Definitely worth buying for yourself if you can or putting on a birthday list for someone else to buy you if you can't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really informative but no Table of Contents on Kindle, 7 Aug 2013
I got this book on Kindle because the first book I wanted about fabrics, Fabric Savvy, wasn't on Kindle (yet!) and I hate lugging books around with me when fabric shopping and there's always the risk of me leaving the book behind I'm a little absent minded sometimes! But my iPhone and iPad come everywhere with me! This book has everything I was looking for with one huge exception...there's no table of contents! Surely for a reference book this is a must? I'm sincerely hoping this is an oversight of the publisher and soon we will have an update to add this essential feature to our purchased Kindle books?

I would have given this book 5 stars if there was a Table of Contents, but as I'm having to go through the book myself and bookmark every chapter (tedious!) I'm giving 4 stars. I'll return and edit this review if and when a Table of Contents appears! Shame really as this book really does merit 5 stars for the depth of information the author gives. If the author does see this review, maybe she could push for the ToC to be added?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic buy, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
Fabric choice makes a garment, I believe that this book will revolutionise your sewing time. Worth the buy but not something you read cover to cover as too much information but I would start every sewing project by referring to this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful general beginners book, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
Excellent book, with lots of tips and helpful information in general. I would have
Inked more specific info about the harder -to-deal-with fabrics but this one of the best beginners books I've seen, thanks Claire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great detailed fabric guide, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
This book is a fantastic guide to all different kinds of fabric. I'm new to dressmaking and it's great for finding out how to choose, sew and care for fabric types. It also goes into a lot of detail about different sewing techniques which I'm sure would be very useful for more advanced dressmakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I thought I knew - and discovered I didn't!, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
Brilliant, wonderful, educational, well-written, informative - need I say much more. This book is 'glued' to my work table. Go buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 6 Mar 2012
W. Wiggins (Stoke on Trent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
This is such a useful book for anyone interested in sewing, whether you are a novice or experienced. It give examples of what you can expect to use each of the different types of fabric for, along with relevant images.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest, 16 May 2014
Mary Lizzie (Olney, Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
This is by far the most detailed and comprehensive book on the subject I've seen in sixty years of sewing. So well and clearly written too. I endorse all the positive comments made by others so no need to repeat them. It's suitable for everyone from beginners to very experienced. Just get it - you won't be disappointed. Shop around for a good price and quick delivery, though, as this varies a lot. If you can't afford it, Fabric Savvy is very good, but only skims the surface by comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabric Book, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide (Paperback)
This is an excellent book - Claire Shaeffer is a very knowledgeable woman and I find the information in this book excellent support. If you really want to learn how to sew and solve problems effectively, and increase your knowledge of fabrics and sewing skills this is definitely the book to buy.

Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide
Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide by Claire Shaeffer (Paperback - 30 Jan 2009)
34.99