5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering
A word of warning - if you like Ben and Jerry's ice cream, you'll find they taste even better when you make them yourself!
I've owned this book for a few years now, and it is definitely my favourite ice cream book. Even simple vanilla ice cream is amazing. It's fun and interesting and makes ice cream making seem really easy (and it is!)
Yes it is all in american...
Published on 6 Mar 2005 by J. Ricketts

3.0 out of 5 stars I like ice cream
This book is OK but there are better books relating to ice cream on the market, you are paying for the name and not the content
Published 12 months ago by Twingo69

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering, 6 Mar 2005
J. Ricketts "Jane" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book (Paperback)
Yes it is all in american measurements, but nearly every kitchen shop sells cup measures nowadays, and it's usually not too difficult to find the UK name for an ingredient (or a good substitute!).
In fact I think I might go and make a batch right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab tasting and easy to make, 20 April 2006
Whitey (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Great ice cream and the recipes are really easy to follow, once you have made the conversion from US cup sizes.

There is a "base recipe" which seems to be the cornerstone of 95% of the ice cream recipes and it is far simpler to make than working with a custard base, as a lot of recipes do that I've found in other books.

Others have complained that some of the ingredients are difficult to find, but I think they are missing the point in slavishly following the recipes - that is what R and D is all about. Have fun and experiment - you won't be disappointed, after all, this is only about making ice cream! If you feel you really have to, a little research on the internet will enable you to order some of the less well known ingredients, or give you the UK equivalents of them

A word of warning, however: American ice cream makers must have double the capacity of my English one, so unless you want to make enough for about 10 people, halve the quantities given in the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, 4 Jan 2010
L. Wilkinson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just got this to go with the Magimix 1.1 ice cream maker I received for Christmas. Its a great little book! Yes the quantities are in cups etc and I was too eager to test it out to go out specially to get some cups so a quick conversion on the internet is all you need!
The ice cream book I recieved for Christmas had awkward recipes which all involved making a custard then chilling for 6 hours THEN making ice cream. Most recipes in this book are based on a 'Sweet Cream Base' which is just eggs (no separating which is music to my ears!) sugar milk and cream and whisk together, then you can add your other ingredients, However it does not say to CHILL the mixture but I would advise to I only chilled mine for 30 minutes and made the Peanut Butter ice cream which was SO yummy and worked perfectly .
Seriously for under a fiver you can't go wrong!
Oh and if like me you like to watch whatever you're making whether it be ice cream, cakes etc their is a nice story of how Ben and Jerrys started to keep you entertained!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive to making ice cream, 19 July 2005
By A Customer
Got Ben & Jerry's book a few months ago going off the reviews. Family consists of mainly grown ups and one little 8 year old. Since making this ice cream they will not have anything but. Vanilla ice cream seems to be the main one at the moment, tried putting in crunchies, toffee crisps, bounty etc. Even tried the buttered Pecan recipe which we tried whilst in America recently, very nice!
Just ordered myself an ice cream machine, fed up with putting the bowl in the freezer everyday, which takes up quite a bit of space. Hopefully this machine will churn out even more?
Hoping to try one or two of the recommendations that have been made by previous purchases of this book. Highly recommend this book, no cooking and straightforward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 26 Oct 2004
By A Customer
We bought this book about four years ago, I think, and it has been VERY well used indeed.
Other reviewers have complained that many of the ingredients are hard to find, but I think this is ignoring the book's main strength: it has the very rare virtue of being non-prescriptive. Once you've mastered the main principles, which takes about ten minutes, off you go!
We've made Cherry Garcia; then we decided to put more cherries in than they suggest; then we did it with chopped up peanut brittle instead of chocolate... We've made the raspberry ice cream; then went on to reducurrant; decided to try mango but the mangoes were off so ended up making prune and cinnamon...
Not only is this a recipe book which gets used time and again (I recommend Ben's chocolate ice cream), it is also a book which gives you the confidence to INVENT your own stuff. Our copy is well-scribbled-on, with records of all the different ideas we've tried, and I bless the authors with all my heart. So you can't find Oreos (which I assume are a kind of biscuit)? P-p-p-pick up a Penguin instead! As Ben and Jerry say, there's no such thing as a bad batch of home-made ice cream. Regard that as a challenge if you like, but go ahead and do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any ice cream fan!, 4 Mar 2009
Ms. Claire E. Elliott "claire_a_belle" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I received this book along with a kenwood ice cream maker at christmas. I must say, at first I thought- theres no way that this book will help you create ice cream as good as the ben & jerry's that you buy in the supermarket. I was so wrong! The basic 'sweet cream base' recipe is so simple as it involves no cooking, and the end result is amazing. The ice cream is lovely and creamy and I'd even say it is better than what you can buy! Even the non-ice cream recipes (like the superfudge brownies) are brilliant.
The only downside are the american measurements...I find it very difficult to measure ingredients in cups! There are also quite a few american ingredients that I hadn't heard of but there is usually an english equivalent!
Overall this is a great buy, it has certainly saved me a lot of money as I don't have to buy expensive ben & jerry's anymore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!, 9 May 2012
Once again spring is here, and my ice-cream maker returns to it's rightful home in my freezer.

There is a reason that Ben and Jerry's is so widely loved - good quality ingredients and great texture, so to be able to make it yourself, for a much more sensible price, and amending recipes (and making up your own), has to be a really good thing. If like me you are fed up with nearly every tub in the shop being chocolate based, then being able to make up your own flavour combinations is perfect (and of course you can moderate the sugar and content too).

This book is full of the B&J story and makes what is a book of really good ice-cream recipes, much more enjoyable.
There are no pictures (apart from cartoony line drawings), but as we all know what ice-cream looks like, it's no big deal.
What counts is content, but just bear in mind that this is an American book, so all the measures are in cups, and there are plenty of references to Hershey Bars etc. It's no big deal (just buy yourself a set of cup measures when you order this) as the main thrust of this book is knowing about ratio, quality of ingredient, and above all adapting things to just how you like it.

It's easy to follow, there is nothing too complicated, and every recipe I've tried so far works really well. Yum!
The only bad thing... your diet may suffer!

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious, easy recipes, 27 July 2005
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having bought several ice cream books to accompany my new machine, this one is my first choice. The style is accessible, the recipes are uncomplicated, the ice creams are delectable.
Most use uncooked eggs so if you find that problematic, make an egg/cream liaison first, chill it, then proceed as usual. The quantities yield 1qt but I halve the recipes for two very generous servings. My only picky observation is a ringbind spine is easier in the kitchen than the glued spine, but this is really immaterial. Oh, and you'll need a set of measuring cups for quantities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the real thing, 21 May 2003
Emma Stevenson (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book 5 years ago but have only recently bought the ice cream maker.
The recipies are fantastic and as a student the affordable way to gorge on the good stuff.
For those difficult to find ingredients I suggest trying a website such as cybercandy which imports sweets from all over the world and also does american baking ingredients (such as the canned pumpkin).
Definitly worth investing in this book as it has many of the classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, if rather unconventional, 28 July 2007
C. Angel (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is great fun to read, especially for the history of how Ben & Jerry's business grew from nothing into an ice cream empire. Many of the recipe combinations are fantastic and straight forward, even though British readers will need to research some of the ingredients. However, the recipes make extensive use of uncooked eggs, which may be a concern for some readers, and the methods are sometimes unconventional, and certainly not the 'proper' method used in Italian gelati. If you've just bought an ice cream machine, you may want a book with more detail about cooking techniques. This book is probably a good recommendation for your second book for lots of quirky inspiration.

Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book by Jerry Greenfield (Paperback - 28 Oct 1994)
5.59