5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering
A word of warning - if you like Ben and Jerry's ice cream, you'll find they taste even better when you make them yourself!
I've owned this book for a few years now, and it is definitely my favourite ice cream book. Even simple vanilla ice cream is amazing. It's fun and interesting and makes ice cream making seem really easy (and it is!)
Yes it is all in american...
Published on 6 Mar. 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but quite American
Plus
-Lots of great recipes
-Fun style, with lots of facts and info. about the company
-Recipes are easy to follow

Cons
-Calls for raw eggs in most recipes
-Lots of 'American' ingredients

Overall OK, but not much better than googling recipes. If you google 'how to make Ben and Jerrys recipes without raw eggs' there are lots...
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering, 6 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book (Paperback)
Yes it is all in american measurements, but nearly every kitchen shop sells cup measures nowadays, and it's usually not too difficult to find the UK name for an ingredient (or a good substitute!).
In fact I think I might go and make a batch right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gospel According to Ben & Jerry, 27 Jan. 2008
I love this book! I got it as a birthday present along with an icecream maker a couple of years ago, and the recipes really taste just as good (if not better,) than the store bought tubs of Ben & Jerry's, plus there are a whole host of flavours in the book that aren't sold in Britain (at least I've never found them and I am a massive Ben & Jerry's fan!) and therefore would never have gotten to try without this book, for instance, Pumpkin, Eggnog, Vanilla Malt Chip, Kiwi, Mint Oreo Cookie (my workmates' favourite), and my all time personal favourite, Banana Peanut Butter. They also include the recipes for lots of different sauces, and different ideas for sundaes. The fact that I have to halve the recipes isn't any trouble at all, and for the most part finding substitutions for American ingredients isn't too much trouble and often it's easier to find the exact products than I first thought it would be, Oreo Cookies are readily available in Supermarkets for instance, along with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Even better, it usually turns out cheaper to make a batch of icecream than to buy a tub, and you get more in one batch than you do in a tub too. Just about the best birthday present ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!, 9 May 2012
Once again spring is here, and my ice-cream maker returns to it's rightful home in my freezer.

There is a reason that Ben and Jerry's is so widely loved - good quality ingredients and great texture, so to be able to make it yourself, for a much more sensible price, and amending recipes (and making up your own), has to be a really good thing. If like me you are fed up with nearly every tub in the shop being chocolate based, then being able to make up your own flavour combinations is perfect (and of course you can moderate the sugar and content too).

This book is full of the B&J story and makes what is a book of really good ice-cream recipes, much more enjoyable.
There are no pictures (apart from cartoony line drawings), but as we all know what ice-cream looks like, it's no big deal.
What counts is content, but just bear in mind that this is an American book, so all the measures are in cups, and there are plenty of references to Hershey Bars etc. It's no big deal (just buy yourself a set of cup measures when you order this) as the main thrust of this book is knowing about ratio, quality of ingredient, and above all adapting things to just how you like it.

It's easy to follow, there is nothing too complicated, and every recipe I've tried so far works really well. Yum!
The only bad thing... your diet may suffer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab tasting and easy to make, 20 April 2006
Whitey (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Great ice cream and the recipes are really easy to follow, once you have made the conversion from US cup sizes.

There is a "base recipe" which seems to be the cornerstone of 95% of the ice cream recipes and it is far simpler to make than working with a custard base, as a lot of recipes do that I've found in other books.

Others have complained that some of the ingredients are difficult to find, but I think they are missing the point in slavishly following the recipes - that is what R and D is all about. Have fun and experiment - you won't be disappointed, after all, this is only about making ice cream! If you feel you really have to, a little research on the internet will enable you to order some of the less well known ingredients, or give you the UK equivalents of them

A word of warning, however: American ice cream makers must have double the capacity of my English one, so unless you want to make enough for about 10 people, halve the quantities given in the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but..., 29 July 2008
R. Winchester (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Great book, loads of delicious recipes, and explains how ice cream works. Also has a good (if belt-busting) section of cakes and biscuits (presumably so that you can bash them into bits afterwards and add them to your ice cream). The beginning of this short book is a history of Ben and Jerry's which was interesting but a bit twee.

My only complaint is that all quantities are given in the rather vague US 'cups' rather than millilitres or grams (or even pounds and ounces). So you're told to put a quarter cup of this, with a half cup of that.

Don't suppose a bit more or a bit less of anything will hurt your ice cream, but slightly annoying to have to convert quantities every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive to making ice cream, 19 July 2005
By A Customer
Got Ben & Jerry's book a few months ago going off the reviews. Family consists of mainly grown ups and one little 8 year old. Since making this ice cream they will not have anything but. Vanilla ice cream seems to be the main one at the moment, tried putting in crunchies, toffee crisps, bounty etc. Even tried the buttered Pecan recipe which we tried whilst in America recently, very nice!
Just ordered myself an ice cream machine, fed up with putting the bowl in the freezer everyday, which takes up quite a bit of space. Hopefully this machine will churn out even more?
Hoping to try one or two of the recommendations that have been made by previous purchases of this book. Highly recommend this book, no cooking and straightforward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Americans!, 12 Nov. 2011
I can't believe some of the negative comments here about it being for American tastes and American ingredients! First of all it is so easy to buy some American measuring spoons and cups ( all the big supermarkets sell them cheaply). Next the book gives lots of ideas for using your imagination with ingredients.There are so many sweets and biscuits to use from the U.K. and I have tried many! I began with the basic chocolate and vanilla recipes. My kids went mad with delight and everyone says it is better than the store bought Ben and Jerry's. It is also less than half the price to make. Yesterday I made maple and walnut,last week cookie dough. I have use chopped up Thorntons chocolates , M&S biscuits chopped up fudge and brownies and creme de menthe. If you aren't sure what an English equivalent to an American ingredient is then Google it!If I don't have enough double cream I substitute milk. It doesn't seem to matter. I am not a perfect cook but have never had a failure.I also recommend the Cuisinart ice cream maker.In conclusion I think this book is fanatastic and simple to use..I don't have a problem with the layout either. If you know what Ben and Jerry's is about ( read the front) you will know that it is all an unusually caring company that has an amazing ethos. My only negative is that my husband is always coming home with double cream and asking me to make more. It's going to make us fat if we aren't careful. Buy this book and use your imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best out of 3 books purchased, 3 July 2008
Mrs. Rhonda A. Ridge "superwoman" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After buying my Cuisinart Professional Ice Cream maker I ordered three books from Amazon to help me in creating ice cream to die for!

I find that the Ben & Jerry's book is the one I use the most. I was initially put off by the use of raw eggs rather than a traditional custard base but realised that as ice cream is frozen it is not the same as using raw eggs in say a mousse or mayonnaise.

The method for making the most of the ice creams is very quick - no waiting around to chill cooked custard. I find that I can reduce the quantity of sugar slightly in the recipes with no effect on the results.

Lastly the texture of the ice cream after being hardened in the freezer for a little while is the better than the recipes in my other books.

I think this is a worthwhile purchase for anyone making an ice cream maker as Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Das and Green & Blacks ice creams are probably what you are tring to recreate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ice Cream, 6 Jan. 2012
These ice cream recipes are superb, and extremely easy (minimal cooking). Cooked custards can go wrong, these can't.

Some help for anyone worried about American measures:
1 Cup = 237ml
2 Cups = 1 Pint = 475ml
4 Cups = 1 Quart = 950ml
Of course, you could approximate 1 cup = 250 for containers/jugs you have with metric measure. I have a jug that shows US cups and mls and they are available anywhere (even in Spain, where I bought mine, and they've never heard of a pint or an ounce!)

Heavy Cream = Double Cream
Light Cream = Single Cream
Half & Half = between milk and single cream

Don't worry about making a lighter recipe with lower fats. I often substitute the Heavy/Double Cream with Single Cream, and semi-skimmed in place of full fat milk. Essentially any mix of cream, milk and sugar will come out fine. Also, if you like marscapone, substitute 250g of Marscapone per 1 cup heavy cream (particular good with Peach or Raspberry recipes).

If all else fails and you can't obtain a particular ingredient (I'd never heard of a Heath bar...) just replace it with something you like. You really can't go wrong.

Finally, unsweetened chocolate. I use sweetened chocolate (50 or 70% cocoa solids) and just reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe. For example, when using 50% chocolate: use 50% more chocolate than the recipe states and half the amount of sugar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, if rather unconventional, 28 July 2007
C. Angel (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is great fun to read, especially for the history of how Ben & Jerry's business grew from nothing into an ice cream empire. Many of the recipe combinations are fantastic and straight forward, even though British readers will need to research some of the ingredients. However, the recipes make extensive use of uncooked eggs, which may be a concern for some readers, and the methods are sometimes unconventional, and certainly not the 'proper' method used in Italian gelati. If you've just bought an ice cream machine, you may want a book with more detail about cooking techniques. This book is probably a good recommendation for your second book for lots of quirky inspiration.

Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book by Jerry Greenfield (Paperback - 28 Oct. 1994)