1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical and different, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Ray K. Metzker: Landscapes (Aperture Monograph) (Hardcover)
RKM's images in this book have more than a passing resemblance in their occasionally high key and bordering on abstract style to Lee Friedlander's 'Mexico' but are less harsh) and also to some of Gabreil Orozco's images for their dreamy quality). An original thinker, these are not yer typical 'landscapes';)

There is also enough text to provide a good read, so it's not purely a portfolio of images.

Here, clearly, is a master at work. I'd never heard of him before I visited the Photographers gallery and by chance they had a book about RKM (not this one) and I was surprised I had to date missed this great photographer out from my self-education about photography. As soon as I looked through this book I had no hesitation buying it.

Wonderful, lyrical and different.

Reproduction is also better than LF's Mexico which is the closest book I can compare to) but not as high as some of the very best books on photography.

I'd give it 3.5 stars if possible as I reserve 4 and 5 stars for absolute must have books so this is close to a must have. EDIT: correction - looking back - this is a must have book, because it is one of the essential 'different' books on photography.

Ray K. Metzker: Landscapes (Aperture Monograph)
Ray K. Metzker: Landscapes (Aperture Monograph) by Evan H. Turner (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2000)
Used & New from: 27.09