Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 December 2009
I'm currently studying a Ba(Hons)Photography Degree & this little gem of a book is on my reading list. I've had it out so long now it's time to get my own copy!! Yes it's only a short piece but Bressons' continued influence on modern contemporary photographic practices cannot be ignored. This book is inspirational. Many times when I reach "Photo Block" I pick this up & just read snippets of random pages. The more I re read this book the more I feel the personality & thinkings behind Bresson & how he produced such Iconic images. So, don't let this gem fade into history, get a copy & I hope it influences your own practices as it continues to do so in mine!!
on 26 August 2004
Although this book is perhaps on the short side and you'll finish it very quickly, it is still a very good book. It gives an insight into what H C-B himself thinks of photography and his views on it. He also describes the places he went to and how he went about taking photos in different situations.
Although you will finish it quickly, I found it a great read and I highly recommend it for those who have an interest in photography and photojournalism.
on 5 June 2014
So let's balance out some of the 5-star reviews of this little book.
Firstly, I am a big fan of Cartier-Bresson and since seeing a recent exhibition of his work I wanted to learn more about him. Well, this is not a place to start. Given that I already have the books The Europeans and The Decisive Moment, his introductions to those books represent about half of this, and they are both a little dated and not particularly revealing about HCB.
The rest of the book - a handful of other introductions, tiny descriptions of other photographers and artists - only demonstrates that HCB was not a man of the pen and not very concerned with teaching anyone else his craft. The one short passage where the book comes alive describes his trips to China, quite a compelling section that gives some insight. But if you've read any reportage written by, say, your average Granta-published journalist, you will find the lack of historical detail and background and personal insight disappointing.
I would save a tenner on this book and put it towards one of his photo books, which remain the best way to learn about him and his work.
on 10 June 2013
As always Bresson's snapshots are on target. Already a big fan of his photographs this is a fine book of short pieces from a master photographer.
on 8 February 2016
I love this book. Love, love love. If you're into Photography, you have to read what Bresson has to say.
on 22 April 2016
Excellent insight into how one of he great photographer thinks.
on 18 January 2015
Hate this book. I thought it wouldn't be amazing to read the insights of a master. I can't read it and I can read everything, more like his diary of things he did than revealing his thoughts on photography. Really disappointed as I love his work.
on 4 March 2016