Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 September 2010
Robert Adams has been photographing the American landscape for more than 40 years, and his body of work will be regarded as one of the greatest of any 20th-21st century photographer. He has published many collections; buy any of them, and give yourself time to enjoy and be moved. Better, look at his original prints. They are breathtakingly good. He is also a very fine writer- that was his background- and no other photographer has captured so well for me the reason we take pictures. It's like having an opportunity to sit and listen to a master talking about what makes him want to do what he does. "Beauty in Photography" was his first set of essays. Both are remarkable works; brief, elegantly written, moving and life-affirming. Don't miss out
on 12 February 2013
As a professional photographer I have asked myself the question many times, why do I do this? This book was recommended by a fellow pro and after the first chapter I was hooked. The paragraphs about money made me laugh and the comments about trying to justify ones existence through taking photographs struck home deeply. Even if you don't agree with everything Robert Adams says it is still worth every penny of the asking price.
on 6 December 2015
A thoughtful and thought provoking little book with not very well printed illustrations. I found the first section engrossing. The second, which is made up of reviews by the author and previously published, interesting and informative and the last section on the changes in the American West frankly irrelevant unless you live in the US. Worth a read and a place on the shelf.
on 18 September 2010
One of the most interesting books about photography I've ever read, written in a language accessible to everyone, but touching very serious matters.
I would certainly recomend it!!
Fernando Brito
on 8 April 2016
Very little insight into the motivation of the photographers studied, which is the whole point of the book, if you believe the title. the writer bemoans books on photography which have few photos to illustrate the points, then goes on to commit the same error!
on 19 March 2014
This is a marvelous, thoughtful, sensitive, wise book, like so much of Robert Adams's writing on photography - and indeed much of it applies to art more generally. Roughly a third is made up of essays on particular topics (e.g. writing, teaching, humor in relation to photography), a third of essays on nine different photographers, and a third on the nature of, and photography in, the West. His intuitions enhance our understanding of what photographs, and art more generally, do, and why we photograph. His perceptions benefit from his wide reading - before quitting to photograph, Adams taught English.

As in other of Adams's writings, there is an undercurrent that the real use of art is to affirm meaning, and thus "to keep intact an affection for life". It is possible that those whose approach to photography is very largely conceptual will find this book less stimulating than I did.
on 30 September 2014
I want to repeat what I have written about Robert Adams in reviewing his essays on 'Beauty in Photography'. Robert Adams is such a human and engaging writer! Add to this his wide and deep knowledge and insight into matters artistic and, in particular, photographic, and here you have a set of essays to enjoy, to be stimulated by, and to read over more than once, because Adam's writing is beautiful in itself. He has much of worth to say, not only in the realms of art and photography but about life and the values that may uphold and guide each of us.
"Why People Photograph" Is a joy to read. It is edifying (in the best sense) and therefore nourishing, and in a gentle unobtrusive way, illuminating. Like a great photograph, somehow Robert Adams manages to speak directly, heart to heart, through what he says and how he says it without getting in the way of what we may take from his writing. How rare is that!
on 30 May 2016
A remarkable set of essays. Short of time for a longer review, I can't but leave here my full five stars shared by the amateur photographer and the teacher of essay writing (in Portugal) that I am. Robert Adams is precious for both of me - if I'm allowed the bad grammar.
on 6 May 2014
An absolutely fantastic book, perfect for photography students. Really easy to understand and relate to.
Great service and fast delivery, product was as described.
on 16 January 2013
I bought this for my photography course and has helped me understand and view photographers work, well written and interesting.