on 7 May 2010
As a fan of the series, this came as a welcome addition and as usual kaminsky keeps his characters and decriptions of the period so close that you could believe you were in the world of Sam Spade / Philip Marlowe. Our hero Toby Peters deals (or so it appears in the series) mainly with well known celebs of the era - everyone from Charlie Chaplin to Bette Davis to Bela Lugosi (my personal favourite).

The characterisation of Fields in this book is down pat, you can almost hear him waxing lyrical about the injustice done to him - spoiler - someone has ripped off a number of bank accounts and he and peters are trying to get the money back.

This subsequently inspired me to download the short film of the same name (Public Domain) which I wasn't even aware of previously, but found it so funny (in a dry manner) that I ended up persuading my son to order the 17 movie box set as a birthday gift for myself. Just because they are old movies (circa 1930's & 40') and Black and White doesn't mean that they cannot outshine many of the current crop of "comedy" films.

If you enjoy well written / hard boiled heroes then the Toby peters series is for you...
on 3 April 2011
Another cracking yarn in Kaminsky's 'Toby Peters' series about a rather battered 1940s detective solving crimes for Hollywood film stars. In this one his client is W. C. Fields. If you want to read a conventional police procedural or a novel in which the solution to the mystery is the main interest, this is not the book for you. But if you think it would be fun to travel around America drinking, shooting and being shot at in the company of W. C. Fields, you are in for a treat. All in all, a lightweight but very entertaining book.
on 10 January 2012
kaminsky's 'Toby Peters' series constitute my favourite series of private eye novels, standing up there with the best of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. This mystery involves W.C. Fields but if you want to know more please buy the book and read it asap. I suspect you'll get hooked on this series of Hollywood Golden age mysteries too. I've moved on to 'Mildred Pierced' involving Joan Crawford (as you might expect.) One day very soon I'll exhaust the series and won't that be a tragedy..........