4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating man.
Published on 20 Aug 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars This bood should be retitled "Medical Care a la Woodstock!"
Published on 29 Jan 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating man., 20 Aug 2000
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
As someone with absolutely no connection with the medical profession I was fascinated - even inspired - by the film of Patch Adams. The book gives a lot more insight into the thinking and philosophy behind the man. Despite what others seem to think of as 60's woodstock stuff, every thing the guy says rings true. Society has a lot to learn from this man, not just the medical profession. Friendship, family, community, trust, fun, ... it makes you wonder where we lost it along the way. If these things make you a hippy, count me in - they make life work. I'd have Patch as my doctor any day over some mechanistic presciptive doctor who doesn't CARE about ME. Read the book, apply the principles, reap the benefits ... life just becomes more FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating postive images in todays society, 23 Oct 2002
K. P. Rose "kprrefocus" (London soon to be Wellington NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
This book is a must for Everyone. Read it and see. It may make you change your life.
We were so taken with the concepts in the book that we have taken, nearly all of these ideals and intergrated them into our own Wellness programme. It is not the same as the Gesundheit model, as we work in a different area to Patch and no 2 bodies can ever be alike. Patch has 20 years head start on us in finding his way, we are just starting out on the journey.
Patch Adams has created a set ideals that we should all live by. You may not feel comfortable with the way he and those at Geshundheit choose to express them but the underlying principles are valid and extremely revloutionary which is why some people may feel unsettled by the book.
Patch says that is is better to give than to always take. We as a society are used to taking and when someone comes along and tells us the opposite, then we may begin to feel unsettled, even if thier is a powerful truth in what is being said.
You may find some of the ideas and ideals expressed as some reviewers put it very 'woodstockish', this could put you off. The point of the book is not the lovey woodstocky ideals, this is the way that Patch and Gesundheit have chosen to express these ideals. Patch is saying we must find our own gesundheit, our own way of having fun, being creative but caring for the world we live in.
Patch is so true when he says we need more postive images in the media that enhance postive thinking, respect, love and creativity for ourselves and those we interact with.
READ IT AND SEE.

5.0 out of 5 stars don't knock it till you've tried it, 1 Aug 1999
READ THE BOOK, WATCH THE MOVIE AND THEN TRY THIS SIMPLE TEST ;
on a day when you have pain, place yourself into a situation that you know will make you earnestly laugh AND THEN TRY TO FEEL THE PAIN WHEN YOUR LAUGHING...Patch Adams has the right idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a textbook for Health Care students., 18 Feb 1999
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
This book is a must-read for all aspiring (and current) Health Care Professionals. If you don't agree with his political views, you hafta LOVE his methods of patient relations. If all Health professionals would take his methods to heart, we could put the "care" back into healthcare.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical book, 23 Jun 2011
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
Behind Patch Adams clown nose and jokes lies a social revolutionary who has devoted his life to transforming the health care system. In his book "Gesundheit" he shares a vision of a free holistic medical practice based on faith, friendship and fun. Adams life and work even inspired the producers of Universal Studios to make a movie titled "Patch Adams" staring Robin Williams.
Patch Adams is the founder of Gesundheit, a holistic home-based medical practice that managed to see more than 15,000 people without bills, malpractice insurance, formal facilities and paper work. Adams' vision is a wake-up call for all of us.
Like Adams I became discouraged when the art of counseling and medicine was replaced by the science of business and technology. During my 20 years of working as a children's counselor at a Mental Health Center I witnessed how mental health and medicine, the nations number one industries today, shifted from the community to the corporate level. When the loving human interchange between a client and counselor became more a business transaction, and the paperwork not the people became the bulk of our services due to fear of litigation, I decided it was time to retire.
In "Gesundheit" Adams discourages health care professionals from carrying malpractice insurance. When fear is the baseline from which to practice healing it encourages caregivers to prescribe "cookbook" treatments even when they believe them to be inadequate or potentially harmful. Fear and distrust makes physicians reluctant to explore alternate therapy and leads them to put patients through procedures and tests that are unnecessary and defensive. When professionals see patients as passive recipients of wisdom there is no room for humility or mistakes. A malpractice climate denies physicians the right to be imperfect.
Third-party reimbursement is also a problem. It has diverted medicine from a service to a business and become a circus act with many hoops to jump through. Doctors tend to over-order tests and overdo procedures when patients are insured. It's easier to order tests than provide care or comfort. Hospital supply companies, medical technology and pharmaceutical firms have become multimillion dollar moguls of medicine.
Another problem is that the professional distance ethic often leads to aloofness and arrogance. Many patients are described as diseases, lab values, or treatments. When people are called the names of their diseases other facets of the patient's life are neglected such as family, friends, faith, fun, work, nutrition and exercise. Life itself is bigger than illness, diagnosis, treatment and disease.
When touching is taboo and getting close to clients is forbidden we loose the magic of vulnerability and trust in a relationship. Healing happens in the relationship between the healer and the patient. A healer cannot offset the pain and suffering of a client without intimacy. Healers need the freedom to cry with and hug their patients. Transference is inevitable. Every human being has some kind of impact on another. A solid relationship creates a loving, human, creative, cooperative and open environment.
Privacy or confidentiality rules make intimacy difficult. Public disclosure strengthens relationships and helps develop a greater sense of support and understanding. Like 12-step programs the surrendering of privacy is the cornerstone of friendship and an antidote to loneliness. Our stories are important and listening to each other's stories provides the magic for healing. We are a tribal people and we need community. We need to move from the insurance of cash to the insurance of clan.
Progress has become synonymous with "advances in technology." Although modern medicine has made great strides in knowledge and technology, health care professionals are rarely vibrant with the joy of human service. Many doctors feel naked without their instruments and machines. Even though comfort, empathy, and reassurance-so vital to a medical practice requires no technology. Our magic as healers is not in our tools but in ourselves.
We also need to integrate humor and nature in healing work. Humor is a powerful antidote to pain and nature tops the list of potent stress reducers. An individual's health cannot be separated from their natural and human environment and wellness needs to include prevention of ecological disasters.
Adams' book "Gesundheid" is an excellent summary of how today's high-tech medicine has become too costly, dehumanized, mistrustful and grim and gives us a vision of what good health care could be. We not only need a better health care system but a healthier one. Profit, paperwork, medication, and medical procedures cannot be a substitute for time spent talking to and observing patients.
Mother Teresa's Mission of Charity has provided free services to the poor in over 52 continents since 1952. They accept donations from individuals not companies and have not only survived but thrived. Gesundheit, a non-religious modern day version of the Missions of Charity, also offers free services in faith not fear. Both demonstrate how giving is intoxicating and produce intimacy as a byproduct. Both show how fulfillment that comes from service is one of the great medicines of life.
Although most of us cannot give our services away for free we can learn from Adams' vision. Putting people before profit is a win win situation. When people are happy they're less likely to litigate and surprise, surprise the business ends up making a profit.

1.0 out of 5 stars This bood should be retitled "Medical Care a la Woodstock!", 29 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I am a RN who specializes in special needs pediatric nursing. When I went to see the movie "Patch Adams" I feel in love with a doctor who I felt had found the root of the black abyss that today's modern medicine has found itself. Politics and monetary gains have taken over, what in reality, should be altruism and compassion. The children I work with are constantly denied medical care and services under the guise of not medically necessary, cosmetic, not severe enough to warrant continual care, etc. Each day I wish that I were 20 people, 100 people, more, so that I could grasp these special little ones out of the claws of bureaucracy and give them the care they need, and deserve, without politics or price tags.
In Gesundheit I thought I had found that Oasis I had so longed for. I even told my family that if I merely disappeared one day they would know where to find me. I searched the Internet for information about this eutopia and was looking forward to my clown nose as I entertained the idea of donating to the Institute fund. But, alas, I read Patch Adams' book and I have found a fossil of the '60's. A physician who has misptaken free love for free medical care. Many of his theories of the Neroism of today's medical care are correct. But his approach to the correction of these problems are too Woodstockish.
I can say that after listening to the tape in its entirety, I can honestly report that I only came away with one truly new insight in regards to my approach to working with families. His theory that the actuallty of dying is the mere minutes of hypoxia that is the catalyst to death. That all other time is living. That no one is "dying" of cancer, but living with it, and should be treated as such by those around them. That medicine can not cure death, for death is inevitable for all living things. But medicine can postpone the inevitable and that we, as practioners, must accept this fact. Through this acceptance, and only through this acceptance, can we, with fullness of heart, treat our patients with the optimal of compassion, empathy and altruism as is afforded us.
For this point I thank Dr. Adams. For the rest of his book's theories and analogies I say...put away your love beads and realize that medicine is a profession. I think that Robin Williams actually best summed up the problem with our medical system when he played Mork. He once told the "great one" that we humans pay the physician to care for us when in reality the physicians should be paying the patients to allow them to practice their profession.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 13 Jan 1999
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
For all those patients who are suffering with your HMO and all those doctors who are wondering if medicine will every be a joy again, read this book. Dr. Adams puts forth some very radical ideas that would truly revolutionize our health care system.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for everyone to read., 29 Dec 1998
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
I think if this book and these ideas were put into focus in our world, we would all be laughing, living and learning from other people. It ranks with Bernie Segal's philosophy on treating the whole person in this society.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what the synopsis says it is!, 2 Feb 1999
This review is from: Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) (Paperback)
Except for a brief introduction, this is not the "hilarious story of Patch Adams" as the synopsis says. It is a long commentary on the benefits of communal living and of caring medical treatment. How many ways can you say "care about your patients"? I found it repetative uninteresting after a short time. **** This is my second submittal. Are you going to post it?? ****

ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)

Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.)
Gesundheit! (Patch Adams M.D.) by Maureen Mylander (Paperback - 1 April 1996)
11.69