on 13 December 1998
I think this book is terrific. I've enjoyed reading it myself and aloud to my husband and my children. Its overall message is uplifting and it is not judgmental in any way, no matter the reader's philosophical viewpoint. I highly recommend it to families hoping to make some sense out of today's world. I also recommend it to people of all ages without children! It's moving and it's fun!
on 9 December 1997
If you can only buy one book on pagan parenting, buy this one! It includes several activities, recipes, and suggestions for family altars for each holiday. If you are looking for new, earth-honoring traditions for your family, then this book is for you! I highly recommend it for all parents.
on 5 December 2010
It is a nice book and does have some nice ideas in it - but it is a book that is written for and aimed at the American pagan market. The celebrations are also based on American Wicca, with some American Indian elements.
I found also that the book is probably more suitable to pagan parents with children 5+, where as my son was just 3 when I bought this book - and not a great deal was that suitable.

I am adapting the idea of a sacred cave for our Yule season table - and I do think this is a lovely alternative to the usual nativity scene.

There really isn't much new in here though - its pretty much basic wicca 101 with a few crafts thrown in.
on 20 February 1998
This is a very useful book for generating ideas for passing on your spiritual values and beliefs to your children. It can also be adapted for women's spirituality circles. There are many ideas for crafts and activities and suggestions for bringing the sacred into the everyday.
on 29 December 1997
Most definately a book that will receive continuous attention from my family. Full of simple and enriching family celebrations that touch heart and soul and guide you to gentle living. The writing is skilled! Johnson and Shaw successfully balanced the need to keep it elementary while speaking to all reading levels.

A must for homes and schools. Makes a wonderful gift for pagans and non-pagans alike and deserves its place on the bookshelf next to your Bible, Koran, Book of Shadows, or whatever your spiritual source book may be.
on 2 July 1998
I agree with the other reviews - this is an outstanding book. It will make a valuable addition to any earth-honoring person's library. I am not a parent but found the information accessible and useful. I definitely reccomend "Celebrating the Great Mother" to all who love the Mother.
on 29 May 2015
I got this for my daughter as a gift to celebrate her third child's arrival to the world. My daughter loves the book and has already used some of the ideas with her children. She liked it so much she bought one for a friend. Beautiful illustrations. Well written.
on 18 November 2009
A wonderful book which centres a parent in the busy hustle and bustle of daily life. Takes you back to basics to help you create a world for your children outside of electronics and the busy-ness of everyday life. Great reading and great tips.