on 6 August 2002
This book is a classic introduction to the contempory practice of classical greek medicine. A tradition as much today alive as that of the medicine of the Chinese and the Hindus (ayurvedic). This book is based on Greek medicine as understood and some what improved by Avicenna (born 980 AD). The word for "Greek" in Arabic/ Urdu is Unani, and Unani medicine continues to provide relief for millions of people throughout the Asain sub continent and Middle East.
Gain insight in to the holsitic energetics of health and disease by reading this book. Understand the role within the body of the Four Elements Earth, Water Air and Fire and the Four Humours Blood, Phlegm, Yellow Bile and Black Bile. These constitue a truely holistic perspective not just a mix a of differing traditions and modern science. This book brings back to life that which was implicit in the best of the traditional western physicians such as Culpepper.
The author has written many books but the is really his best. He has split his book into three sections, the principles of traditional healing which also includes an excellant section on food, giving recipies as well. A formulary which gives recomended treaments for about 400 conditions and a Materia Medica of about one hundred plants.
As with most of these types of books they describe treatments that can only really be implimented by people trained in the relavant speciality, but in this case a least it still make interesting reading. A book with much to recommend as it covers adequately a wide range of subjects. Well worth the money.
on 30 December 2010
When I started researching Medieval medicine, I found there is an absolute dearth of books on the subject, and certainly very few written by someone who has seen it working. This book has filled that void. It is written by an Unani practitioner in a very readable style, aimed at a Western reader who knows nothing of the subject. A very important contribution to Medical research.
on 15 April 2012
Very happy indeed with delivery time and immaculate condition of book. The book itself is an eye opener and recommened read for all those interested in natural health.
on 2 June 2016
It's a great book. I keep revisiting. Bought it nearly 30 years back when first published . I did the Detox regime, I endured it in the spring time for several years
Last time I detoxed was 10 years. I always felt very strong and real benefits. I feel so well, buzzing, energetic, any lingering health problems go away or reduce. But always life style pressures put me back on the wrong track.
I have done it again this month and extended the programme with careful consideration to healthy diet , exercise and life style changes.
Feel stronger and younger at 67 than I did at 57.
An arthritic problem has reduced greatly and I have stopped anti inflammatory and pain killers.
Side effects of medication have gone away
Modern society has so many pressures bearing on people and without discipline in my life, good friends and a daily interest in varied pursuits including healthy lifestyles. Without this base I can easily slip back into an indulgent lazy way of life
The book describes how just a few days of doing the Detox , it becomes an ordeal!. Very very true. It is not for faddy people. I actually felt the ripening toxin effects in my right kidney. Quite uncomfortable for 36 hours
Approach with care. If you are on essential medication. You cannot do it. I feel so much better 6 weeks into my new regime.
on 3 July 2013
Good book, with great info, worthwhile for any herbalist, I bought this as a medical Astrologer as it on elemental medicine, (Fire,Air,Water,Earth). A Good book to invest your money/energy into.
on 2 April 2013
need to read it completely
but looks very interesting so far
k thx for the publishers to make such treasures available on amazon
on 28 July 2015
Amazing healing handbook, gives you a breakdown of the different types of problems of the human body and what foods can counter act these diseases and issues, very enlightening for anyone who wishes to study herbal healing techniques
on 25 March 2016