5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly brilliant, simple, logical and powerful.
Published on 19 Oct. 1996

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
A little weird to tell the truth. Only got half way through.
Published 1 month ago by Freedom

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly brilliant, simple, logical and powerful., 19 Oct. 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness (Paperback)
One of only a handful of books I have ever read that carry its case in such a powerful manner. I am a retired academic and have read several hundred books of quality on philosophy, metaphysical propositions, quantum mechanics, etc. Few of them offered anything approaching a really new or viable approach to the dynamics of consciousness. This book is as unique in its approach to the subject matter as George Gamow's seminal work "One, Two, Three, Infinity". It is simply astonishing, to me, to read such a erudite presentation of such a challenging topic, produced by an, essentially, academically untrained intellect. Bentov was a priceless mind. I am saddened I will never have the opportunity to engage him in direct conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informitave theory of the workings of consciousness, 13 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
One of the best if not the best book I have read on the theory of consciousness. The Author takes the reader through the web of complications involved in nature, the universe and consciousness with great clarity. A book that should be easily understood by anyone with an interest in the above matters. I read the book about sixteen years ago and the thoughts have never left me. So much so that I want to read it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unusual And Interesting Book,, 21 Dec. 2003
Itzhak Bentov was born in Czechoslovakia and moved to America, he became an inventor and specialized in the creation of new medical instrumentation. He died shortly after writing this book in a flying accident.
None of which prepares the reader for the model of the universe which Bentov proposes. This is a fascinating book and will be of interest to all who study psychic matters and are interesting in a “model” of reality which reflects their own experiences.
Bentov says: “I am attempting in this book to build a model of the universe that will satisfy the need for a comprehensive picture of ‘what our existence is all about.’
In other words, a holistic model that encompasses not only the physical, observable universe that is our immediate environment and the distant universe observed by our astronomers but also other ‘realities’ as well.”
Referring to psychic phenomena, he says that he will try to explain the underlying mechanisms and explain how they may work.
Bentov adds that the general underlying principle in all psychic phenomena is an altered state of consciousness. He says that these altered states allow us to function in realities that are normally not available to us, in our waking state of consciousness.
Bentov says that when taken together all these realities form a large hologram of interacting fields. He notes that the theory of relativity emphasizes that no matter what we observe, we always do so relative to a frame of reference that may differ from someone else’s, that we must compare our frames of reference in order to get meaningful measurements and results about events that we observe.
He says that our reality is a vibratory reality, and there is nothing static in it, that our senses can only appreciate the differences in vibrations.
He claims that the electrostatic fields around our bodies can, during mediation resonate with the electrostatic fields of our planet.
Bentov also claims that ‘tangible reality’ exists for us only as long as there is movement; and that when the movement stops, matter and solid reality become diffuse and disappear.
Regarding time, he claims that in our reality objective and subjective space-time normally coincide, but that under altered states of consciousness these become separated, allowing us to be clairvoyant.

Bentov then describes the quantity and quality of consciousness; he sees all consciousness as evolving to the ‘absolute’ which is the source of all consciousness.
Matter, being made of quanta of energy, is the vibrating, changing component of pure consciousness. The absolute is fixed, manifest, and invisible. Ours, then, is a vibratory reality – from sub-nuclear to atomic, to molecular to macro-levels – everything is producing “sound”.
Realities are relative, dependent on the position and state of the observer.
Bentov says that we all know the human reality, but most of us do not know that human consciousness can be taught to expand and learn how to interact with the whole spectrum of realities. He says that he hopes to show that realities are states of consciousness.
He describes a set of bodies (astral, mental and casual) made of higher harmonics than the physical body which interpenetrate our physical body, and which allows us to interact on different levels of consciousness.
Bentov also says that our brains do not produce thoughts, but are devices for amplifying thoughts. He says that our soul or psyche acts as a bridge between the material body and the spirit, we also have a higher self which is the spiritual us, and that all higher selves are connected and are in constant communication.
Bentov also describes a model of the universe as a closed universe that forms an elongated hollow torus. He says that human psyches form an interference pattern with psyches of all other consciousness in the universe.
Our physical bodies are four-dimensional electromagnetic holograms, which change in time and they are the end products and the result of the interactions of our subtle, non-physical ‘information bodies’.
Bentov concludes by saying that the goal of the creator is the evolution of consciousness, that she uses the opposing forces of good and evil to stimulate evolution.
This is an unusual and interesting book, one that you will need to read a couple of times to completely grasp, but one which will help to make sense of our confusion with the world we inhabit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum Logic, 6 Jan. 2006
This book is brilliant, a must read for anyone who is interested in the higher state of reality and the science and mechanics that govern the manifestation of metaphysics and consciousness in the external world.
This book is based on quantum logic, postulated by Max Planck in late 19th century early 20th century.
Anyone with a interest and understanding in theoretical physics will understand the infinite potential of nano technology and super symmetry used in science today.
God Bless

5.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative view of the Universe, 8 May 2007
I thought this book had some fantastic and original ideas about the reality we experience and the universe as a whole and the ideas were nicely interwoven into the author's theory.

I particular like his repeating big bang theory in which he says the universe originated from a white hole (the opposite of a black whole)which spewed out matter in the form of the big bang. This matter then spread out much like a fountain would and as it fell back around the other side of the white whole it was sucked back in at the opposite side to the white whole which is of course a black whole.

The diagrams in the book describe this and other theories much better than I could here. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at large!, 11 Nov. 2011
Itzhak Bentov seems to have been a man who could really did think outside the relationship of ideas we call The Box. Academic guys like Steven Pinker and Dan Dennett are very good at moving the jigsaw around, but this is mere playing with appearances or successfully playing inside The Box. Itzhak Bentov glimpsed what was happening outside of appearances. I don't claim to have grasped, or even understood, half of what this bloke was on about. I can't make heads or tails of his ideas because Bentov seems to have been a genius and his mental symphony is definitely beyond my level of intelligence, but I did get the odd glimpse of understanding here and there. And hey, you don't need to be a Mozart to appreciate Mozart, so I suppose we can get something out of a genius.

I only wish that I had discovered this man in my younger years, when the child's brain is more alive and ready for inspiration. This book feels like a springboard for a teenage prodigy somewhere out in the wilds. So if you come across a confused child genius, be it in an asylum or languishing at the bottom set in school, then you should give him this book. The scribblings of a gifted thinker is a priceless gift to another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it, 28 Oct. 2013
S. Bayreuth - See all my reviews
This book might be hard to take serious for people with fundamental materialist philosophic backgrounds. Since this is nowadays (well for over 150 years) the prevalent paradigm, it is save to say that the book is not main stream (more new age). However, it uses a 'down-to'earth' approach in proposing a model of consciousness in a clear and direct language that makes it all quite reasonable in my view. I can think of at least 4 different models of consciousness rooted in materialist understanding of the world which make less sense to me than Bentov's approach (see Rupert Sheldrake, 2012, Science Delusion).
One thing I noted was his talk about the Kundalini Syndrom that arises from long term meditation. He mentions various side effects that come along with the "opening" of channels, etc.. People trying this stuff should be aware of Taoist meditation practices (in particular a proper grounding and the Microcosmic orbit meditation) that deal with this kind of adverse effects (see, e.g. Mantak Chia, Healing Light of the Tao).

5.0 out of 5 stars the fusion of illusion, 4 July 1998
By A Customer
this is the sort of book that along with its companion "a cosmic trip" by the same author simply and eruditely cuts to ribbons the very fabric of the newton/cartesian paradigm of existance upon which western civilization is based. Stalking the Wild Pendulum can be understood and appreciated by the dumbest teenager - should be a secondary school text book. Frees the mind from nonsense and dogma with humor, compassion, and a highly evolved intelligence. No wonder Mr. Bentov was taken out ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The scientific side of occult philosophy, 13 Jun. 2009
This book to me trod the line between modern physics and occult philosophy.It is very clear concise and readable,though the diagrams could have been better.
Too often books on these subjects plunge headlong into the abyss of mysticism,faith healing and ranting Utopian ideals,this however is a much more serious effort at explaining the mechanics of consciousness.It is an enlightening book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 21 May 2014
If ur looking fora plausible scientific explanation of spirituality that has been well written with simple lecture style diagrams then this is it. It puts the meaning of life into terms one can understand. Highly recommended.

Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness by Itzhak Bentov (Paperback - 1 Feb. 1988)