5.0 out of 5 stars great book to get you started
its normally to late when you read a book like this as you've wasted all your money on things you don't need .great starter book
Published 13 months ago by george smith,george smith

Published 12 months ago by Daniel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but more aimed at the American audience and dcc control, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Garden Railway Basics: From Concept to Construction to Upkeep (Garden Railway Books) (Paperback)
I liked this book as it gave good hints and tips about what to consider when planning to build a garden railway and practical tips on how to construct one. If you are interested in track powered electric trains with a leaning towards American outline, I think you will get more out of this book that I have. The language and item names are also American, eg switcher instead of point and advice is based on the assumption the reader will use American chopper couplings where by some of the advice it gave we're not applicable to a hook and chain type which I use. I personally have an interest in British narrow gauge live steam and battery power. Live steam has a brief mention (about 1 paragraph out of 95 pages) and I felt put a negative slant on live steam by saying it was messy, time consuming and expensive which I disagreed with and may put newcomers off this type of power. Also, there was a small amount on radio control but this is not much more than live steam to be honest. There is a big bias towards track powered dcc with several chapters covering the subject. So a big part of the book was not of use to me unfortunately.

However, not every book can cover every subject and satisfy every reader. Overall a good book with good advice and it will have a place on my book shelf but I don't think it was necessarily towards my area of interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars A VERY HELPFUL GUIDE TO GARDEN RAILWAYS, 22 Jun 2013
John Prescott "Twojags" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book for those starting in the wonderful world of garden railways. Most topics are covered although I did feel that some could have been expanded upon a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book to get you started, 8 Jun 2013