5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Illustrated
I love these original stories and pictures. So much more enjoyable to read. At this price don't think about. Buy it.
Published 5 months ago by Alan Merredew

3.0 out of 5 stars Steady
Published on 28 Sep 2009 by Blackbeard

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Illustrated, 27 Mar 2014
Alan Merredew (Wareham, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: 37 Short Stories and a Novel from the "Strand Magazine" (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars Steady, 28 Sep 2009
I'm not sure what other editions are available, but this one includes The Adventures, The Memoirs, and The Return of Sherlock Holmes, as well as The Hound of the Baskervilles, all taken directly from "The Strand" magazine where they were originally published. I think I liked the "novel" best, because it was longer and more detailed, but I found all of the stories enjoyable to some degree. One thing can certainly be said about this author, and that is that he was steady. Even though some of the cases vary greatly, the style and structure are consistent and formulaic throughout. Some of the mysteries can be fairly easily solved by the reader if he or she pays attention, while some of them are impossible to solve because the essential clue is witheld until the end of the story. I found it interesting that Sherlock Holmes used cocaine regularly, which is something I had either forgotten or didn't know, and it made me wonder if he would still be considered a hero in today's unforgiving world. One thing I didn't like about this volume was that, about halfway through the book, there suddenly appeared full-page illustrations of some key or deciding scene of the next story, which often gave the whole thing away, and took away some of the pleasure of reading it. There are the original illustrations throughout the whole book, but they are placed inside of the stories where they belong, and it is only the full-page illustrations that are "misplaced". I don't know if there are other stories about Sherlock Holmes than these, but there are certainly more than enough for anyone (I would think), and I must admit that I was glad to have finished. I think that this type of book may be better to read at intervals than straight through, as the stories are good in themselves, but the structure is too repetitive.

9.09