Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 January 2009
An excellent introduction to the GSM network.

Provides a thorough overview of the GSM network and its beginnings with some good detail about the exchanged data & methods of communication between the networks components.

Not a complete "one stop" guide, but exactly what it sets out to be: a good introduction with references throughout for further reading and, as other reviewers have said, a really good reference book for when the reader is done.

Highly recommended for novices and new engineers.
on 25 February 2000
I think this book is really a must read for anyone who starts looking into the GSM architecture or who needs a quick reference. The various facets of layers 1 to 3 are explained in plain English and are cleverly visualised throughout the text using a descriptive image of a freight train to show a parallel on how information is transported in the GSM system. It provides a good introduction on what the layers are all about and how they relate to each other. I would definitely recommend it.
on 16 January 1997
We are an engineering group that interfaces with new customers and our managers have selected this book as being an excellent initial source of information for both new engineers and new customers. The concepts involved are presented in concise and easily understood terms. We would like to purchase 5 copies to keep in our library. Please do let us know if they are printed again! Mike Scurlock, Sr. Manager, PCS1900, Northern Nelecom, Richardson, Texas 972-684-8284 Email mike_scurlock@nt.com
on 23 April 1999
Although this book gives the reader much useful information on GSM, the style is poor and and needs editing by Artech House. when I first read the book I got out my marker pen and delated large sections of useless text. The explanation of Channel Coding and Signalling, 5.14.4, started by saying 'The passengers (user data) in an airplane may have all paid full fare, the plane may be safe, and the accomodations exceptional, but nobody is going anywhere without the a pilot and crew (signalling data). The book is still in my bookshelf as it is a handy reference manual on GSM, but I am sure there are better books on GSM out there.