5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic woman to woman detail that every man must read!, 24 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Formerly a Wife: A Survivial Guide for Women Facing the Pain and Disruption of Divorce (Paperback)
The approach by O'Brien, who has a master's degree in counseling was to detail the process of divorce from a woman's perspective. She shows the pain and rejection, the anger and the effect of consequence of divorce.
O'Brien lures you in by starting soft, then pinning you to the wall with detailed accounts of hard hitting real life drama that we all relate to. You will cry with her and later share her triumphs.
This book is not a self centered portrait putting the author on center stage. Rather it is an eye opening account of the author's observation of experiences that prove common to most women. It is a selfless and very healing protrayel of the steps needed for survival. This is not a 'see the duckie' fuzzy kids story. This is an 'I was eaten by the bear ... and lived' horror story, that though tragic in reality then, leads the author to show what every woman must now do, just to keep on living.
The author leads into amazingly simple but maningful steps for every woman to take to regain her life, her self meaning, her physical and emotional well being.
I however am a man. This book had a different meaning to me. I also saw the tragedies caused by my own caulousness and the devastating effect that it had on my own ex wife. Yet I saw the common survival techniques were as valuable to me as a man as they were meant to be for the woman of divorce. I also related well to Ms. O'Briens unique observation of dealing with the painful emotional waves of marital seperation ... the FEEL, DEAL, HEAL approach. Too many others have just tried to help us make the pain go away, Ms. O'Brien shows us how to face off with and conquer it.
This book is destined to become a classic on the subject of divorce, and should be required reading for any one facing or recovering from divorce, and those guiding others through it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Timely & insightful!, 27 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Welby O'Brien has obviously been there!! She gives practical advice on issues large or small that impact a life after divorce, especially an unexpected divorce. I felt like I was reading the book about me. I find that I continually refer to her book for practical guidelines as well as the great questions she poses at the end of each chapter. This is a must for all christian women who have gone through a divorce.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, especailly in the emotional area and as a godly woman and wanting to do what God wants in this very difficult time., 31 Aug 2009
This book is very helpful for Christains going through the very sad event of divorce. I found it helpful, because the author addresses the deep issues of emotions and the Bible and God.
She also voices all the little concerns that can seem overwhelming and very scary. I am in the middle of a divorce and this book has been so helpful and full of wonderful truths about God and His love and understanding. I would recommend this book not only to those facing this awful time but also for those who try to support and help.

Used & New from: 0.01