Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 May 1997
Two years ago I purchased this book and a set of six tools. My goal was to create a hobby that was rewarding and relaxing. I can truthfully say that I have never been more satisfied with any purchase. I have found a world of enjoyment from the simple act of cutting wood. In three days, I will exhibit in my first show, The Tupelo Gum Tree Festival, Tupelo, MS. I have never been more relaxed and proud of anything I have done before. Thank you Tom Wolfe!

Dennis Renfroe
on 11 March 2008
This book is one of the first ones I bought. Being a wood carver that doesn't have a bandsaw, tree spirits were ideal to learn my trade. Now this book is well written and the pictures are fantastic. A good description and gentle guidance is always needed by a person learning to carve who doesn't have access to a tutor.
A brilliajt book and I highly recommend it for any newbies...
on 8 August 2011
This is a useful book for starting to carve wood spirits on logs or walking sticks. It gives a step-by-step 'how to' for both carvings, plus a gallery of carved objects to inspire further projects. For the price, I had expected a thicker book with more description - especially about what effects can be achieved using which carving chisels. Also would have liked some more ideas about how to achieve different expressions on the faces. However, using this as a starting point, I have now carved several wood spirits on branches, logs and walking sticks by developing my own style from the ideas in the book.
In short, a useful starting point but I expected more from the book at this price.
on 13 January 2014
I FOUND THIS BOOK TO BE FIRST RATE FOR THE BEGINNER OR THE MORE ADVANCED CARVER.
THE DETAIL IN THE PHOTOS ARE GOOD AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS WILL SOON HAVE YOU.CARVING GREAT FACES.
on 11 August 2014
This book was bought as a gift for my husband, who was over the moon with it. (I was over the moon with the fact that Tom Wolfe, author, genuinely looks like Santa Claus in his photograph - which was apt considering he sees wood spirits and carves them...Such a jolly soul)

Anyway, the book is VERY good. It Gives detailed descriptions on how to create wood spirits' faces out of drift wood/roots and how to carve faces whilst carving walking sticks/canes.

Pages 55 -65 are ideas of different woods/finishes within a Gallery of Wood Spirits and Walking Sticks and Canes.

My husband recommends the book highly.
on 23 November 2013
just what i wanted great book a very nice price
yes well happy and very quick service good for a beginner thanks
on 29 March 2011
a great book with good tips and fantastic page by page ref on carving wood spirits, a book that I will always use and not just gather dust with the rest of them on a shelf.
on 14 February 2013
Very clear instructions, good variety of choices, helpful tips. Recommended if you are already familiar with the basics, maybe not for complete beginners.
on 11 April 2016
A great book for beginners with easy to follow step by step guides. I would recommend this to anyone with an interest in whittling and carving. Loved it.
on 2 January 2016
Excellent tutorial arrived in good time and with plenty of pictures and easy to follow text just wish I could find chunky bits of wood like tom Wolfe