Format: Paperback|Change

I have read 100's of very poor books on the Success Principles, Self Esteem, Laws of Attraction, Planning, Time Management etc, in the last few years. I started reading books about goal setting, mind control and success principles in 1985. I have used what I learnt from my extensive reading, coupled with academic qualifications, business and psychology experience, to create a consulting company, teaching seminars to corporations in strategic thinking, leadership, marketing, goal setting and business development. I also use the principles to help individuals, by guiding them as a Peak Performance Coach, teaching people cognitive methods to help goal set and enhance their lives beyond what they could do on their own. As such, I read as many books as I can, on a variety of subjects to enhance my knowledge. This is the first book I have read by an American Football Coach. Coming from the UK, although I have spent a great deal of time in the USA, on a University exchange and now working as a consultant and University Lecturer, I know nothing about American Football or Lou Holtz. I bought this book as John Maxwell, mentions Holtz a lot in his books. I therefore thought I would read a new style of book.

I must admit, some parts of it bored the pants off me, but this is only because I have virtually no knowledge of football. I did not understand large swathes of the book, when it talked about football tactics, game play or Lou's historical career.

Where this book excels is in its examination of what is needed by either a coach or player to excel. These skills are then translated into real steps we can all use in; life, business or relationships. There are some brilliant insights into what we can do to make all aspects of our lives better. It as much a sports book, as it is a success book, as it is a leadership skills book.

Holtz, points out there is a game plan we can play, to ensure a better life. He sets out 10 key points, to create more success. There is a chapter devoted to each. Some chapters are brilliant in there ability to create introspection, in what we need to do to be more successful. Following the game plan in life, will, I am sure enhance your success in whatever you want to do.

This is a very good book, and I can happily recommend it.
on 2 February 2012
Easy to read style - very similar to Bob Rotella's Golf Psychology books. If you enjoy American Football or elite sport you will enjoy reading this. If you are a teacher, coach or business person, this book gives loads of anecdotal guidance in how to make improvements and strengthen your people skills. If you play sport, it gives numerous examples of how to get the most out of your ability - whilst hard work, commitment and sacrifice seem obvious traits, Lou Holtz picks out some excellent stories to highlight how some of his athletes made it to the top. Definitely one to keep and re-read.
on 19 August 1998
In an entertaining, readable, yet challenging style, the ex-Notre Dame football head coach teaches, cajoles, and persuades you into leading a better life.
Notre Dame fans will especially appreciate his consistent use of examples from players and coaches throughout his 1986-1997 tenure at the school. He also sprinkles examples not from his life, as well as from earlier coaching stints. His treatment of Woody Hayes is especially interesting, and endearing.
And in typical Lou fashion, he mangles a few names, and misspells others! Craig Hentrich becomes Hendricks; Charles Woodson's first name is wrong. These few mistakes make the book endearing, and prove it authentic!
If you undertake a cost-benefit analysis on time spent vs. reward returned, your time spent with this book is well worth it. The few hours spent absorbing Lou's stories and wisdom will bear fruit manyfold over a lifetime. Motivating, yes. But more importantly, Lou gives normative advice on how to become a better person. His honesty as to his own failings gives his advice even more credibility.
on 4 April 1999
This is a great book. I wish I could have read it without ever having had to put it down; it is captivating. This man is much deeper and introspective than I thought when I used to see his grim face on the sidelines. He is actually quite a comedian too! As a Michigan alum, I used to view Lou Holtz as a tremendous adversary (when he coached the Fighting Irish). Nevertheless, I couldn't help but respect him for what he has accomplished in his long career. After reading his book, I now have even greater respect for Lou Holtz. The book has 11 chapters. I have little doubt that Chapter 12 will be represented by an SEC and a National Championship by the University of South Carolina Gamecocks!!!! Go Lou!
on 24 January 1999
The book by Lou Holtz was certainly inspiring, especially for anyone who loves Notre Dame football. Frankly, I was disappointed that a book devoted to the pursuit of excellence was obviously not proof read. Harper Collins Publishers seemed too anxious to crank this book out,as a result, there are many errors that even a casual Notre Dame follower would notice. Opponent's nicknames were misidentified, the first names of Holtz's players were wrong, and even some player's last names were misspelled. Time sequences in games were jumbled and confused In short, I admire Lou Holtz and his pursuit of excellence, but am shocked that he could put his name on a book thatis so poorly proof read!
on 4 April 1999
This is a great book. I wish I could have read it without ever having had to put it down; it is captivating. This man is much deeper and introspective than I thought when I saw his grim face on the sidelines. He is actually quite a comedian too! As a Michigan alum, he was a tremendous adversary. Nevertheless, who couldn't have respect for what he has accomplished? After reading his book, I now have even greater respect for Lou Holtz. The book has 11 chapters. I have little doubt that Chapter 12 will be represented by an SEC and a National Championship by the University of South Carolina Gamecocks!!!! Go Lou!
on 4 June 1999
Undoubtedly, this book is one of the best motivational books I have read. It helped me to focus on my goals and how to achieve them. In one word, EXCELLENT!.
on 5 September 1998
I got this book mainly because his appearance on the Charlie Rose show. He is very unassuming but passionate. I don't follow college football and only learned about Lou Holtz from Harvey Mackay's book.
The book has many annoying mistakes but they actually add to the setting if you imagine Lou speaking those words, mistakes and all. Not a literary standout but the message is clear--don't be a spectator, participate. I'm going to put my TODO list together, too. Maybe I'll get to complete a marathon afterall.
on 26 January 1999
I am a guy who doesn't read as much as I should but I couldn't put this book down. His stories are very motivating and delightful. I have begun to use the Coaches ideas in my professional and personal life. I have established a WIN attitude and I can't stop writing goals for myself. Thank You Coach for your words and enlightening approach to life. I am a big fan of Notre Dame and you but I guess I'll have to stock up on my Gamecocks gear now ! Good Luck and God Bless Lou Holtz and his family.
on 23 August 1998
Lou Holtz, in my mind, has to be ranked in the Top 5 college football coaches of all time. Not because of his number of national titles, which equals two, one at Ohio State under Woody Hayes, and one in his own right at Notre Dame. Lou Holtz's coup de grace is his motivational skills. Simply put, Lou Holtz is a winner at anything he does. Winning Everyday is the ultimate playbook for the game we call life. If you listen to what Coach Holtz has to do say, you can't go wrong!