5.0 out of 5 stars I simply loved it, it kept me turning the pages.
Published on 3 Dec 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire
Published on 19 Feb 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply loved it, it kept me turning the pages., 3 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This book is one of Marion's best, I was tempted to read it all in one night. This book has an ever-twisting plot that keeps you turning the pages. Margaret Alton is suddenly informed on a past she never new, and seemingly foolish ways of the Darkovans. Mikhail Hastur, her lover, is a lovely figure to read about. He is sent off to test young children for the Elhaylin throne, and finds something terribly wrong. In all I love this book, and would read it again anytime.

4.0 out of 5 stars MZB Darkover series has been renovated., 4 May 1998
By A Customer
At last! The Darkover series has beem brought back to life by MZB with this and her last book. It was getting a little bit tiring to read antholigies and revisited history in her books. New characters with new plots being aimed at. She points toward new books in this story. I found it refreshing to have some new characters being active in the series. The characters are not completlely fleshed out yet, but that is why you have a series. You learn about the people in the story as they grow in the series. I look forward to the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy's best=Marion Zimmer Bradley !!!!!, 12 July 1999
By A Customer
Dear readers and fans of Mrs. Bradley, I'm writing from far Italy only to let you know that my heart beat 1000 times faster when I saw that in the bookshop there was a new book of this wonderful writer "the shadow Matrix". You may pardon my opinion, but to really appreciate this work I'd suggest to first read the entire "saga" chronologically, beginning with (you will excuse me if the titles are not perfectly correct, but I'm used to the Italian ones) "The heritage of Hastur", followed by "Sharra's Exile", "Return on Darkover", "The exile's song", and then "Shadow matrix", in order to understand the "historical" facts and the characters better. The thrilling adventures of beautiful and intelligent Marguerida and of intrepid and handsome Mikhail really captured my mind...the more I read the more I wanted to read about their story. When I arrived at the end of "The Shadow Matrix" I was so sad (perhaps I'd better say hungry), because I didn't know if there was a follow-up (let's call it like this)...you can perhaps imagine my joy when I discovered that in fact there is one, "The traitor's sun". But unfortunately is has not been translated in my language yet, and I'd be really thankful if somebody could help me. To those who write that Mrs. Bradley's masterpieces are honeyd or like "Barbara Cartland's" romances (I once read one and I found it really empty), well, I respect their opinion, but let me add that no other author (and I really read a lot) made me fly on the wings of fantasy and made me enter in this world of romance, magic, love, chivalry as if I was a character myself... I just wanted to let you know this little thought of a passionate and faithful reader from far Italy. (hope you'll excuse my English mistakes) If there is someone who would enjoy sharing my feelings and thoughts through e-mail, I'll be glade to chat a little..... ciao ciao

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire, 19 Feb 1999
By A Customer
What happened? Can this really be the same MZB? I know her health is failing and she wrote it with someone else, but still.... It's like Mills & Boon! I love the Darkover series - but this one is trite, with shallow characters and a far cheesier style of writing that usual. The characters are inconsistent with the other books (Lew Alton and Regis Hastur, for example, seem to have undergone a mutual personality transplant) and the usual Darkovan politicking is garbled. Plus the unspeakably naff way Margarita and Mikhail get sent back in time to be married by Varzil and Evanda.... Please, bring back the Marion Zimmer Bradley who wrote "Heritage of Hastur" and "Thendara House", and pray that the sequel isn't this bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Shadow Matrix (Darkover S.) (Mass Market Paperback)
my son enjoys reading these book and so he was very happy to receive this book as a Christmas present

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 21 Oct 2013
I love the whole concept of Darkover and the series and have many of the books in both paper copy and on my Kindle

3.0 out of 5 stars Later books started to get boring., 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Shadow Matrix (Darkover S.) (Mass Market Paperback)
I read all the series, up until the later ones. Once her health started to fail so went to books I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebirth of Darkover continues..., 2 Mar 1998
By A Customer
The Rebirth of Darkover, which started in EXILE`S SONG (1996), continues in this exciting and wonderful sequel. Margaret Alton and her lover Mikhail Lanart-Hastur not only have to fight for their love, but they also have to defeat a dangerous enemy from the past: Ashara Alton, Margaret's nemesis. Be sure to expect a wonderful story with lots of swashbuckling and romance. This book is really hard to put down. I recommend it to everybody, who has read (and liked) one of the previous Darkover novels), but be sure to read EXILE`S SONG first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ( I have read Exile's Song too), 22 Jan 1998
By A Customer
I bought this as soon as I saw it for sale! I rarely buy books, particularly hard backs (I usually use the local library), but I loved Exile's so much that I had to read The Shadow Matrix the instant I found it. I can't wait for the next installment. Admittedly I am a Darkover fan, having read most of the Darkover novels years and years ago. These new novels have made me start reading the older ones again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 4 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This book was a great sequel to Exile's Song. I loved how Mikail had to deal with his uncle sending him to find a new heir to the thrown. This book keeps a good pace, not really having any dull moments. I couldn't put it down, espescially when Margaret and Mikail met Varzil the Good. Again, a great book.

The Shadow Matrix (Darkover S.)
The Shadow Matrix (Darkover S.) by Marion Bradley (Mass Market Paperback - 28 Jan 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01