5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting end to the Terran Federation on Darkover
Published on 7 Feb 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously not pure MZB
MZB was not the only one responsible for this novel, and, sadly, it shows. Repetition, no character development (do you really expect me to believe that Giz would change so much so soon?), and romances that belong in a Barbara Cartland novel. Give me a break!
Published on 11 May 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting end to the Terran Federation on Darkover, 7 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book finally sees the terranian leaving Darkover. New leaders Marguerida and Mikhail deal with the various crises arising from inheriting the leadership of the Comyn counsil upon the death of Regis. New forms of laran, and possibly old forms, begin to emerge, opening the way for new plot devices and storylines in future books. I really enjoyed the increased number of female characters who have power, thought I must admit that Marguerida Alton has been made a weaker character in this book due to her lack of envolvement in government. Except for this weakening of her character the book was very enjoyable, because now the stage is set for a new post-terran Darkover. What will hapen now? Will the Domains become more ballanced toward women with the introduction of Katherine (from a matriarchal culture) and reformation of Gisela as powerful characters? Will the federation be back, and if so when? I can't wait to see what happens next after this excellent transition novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER GREAT BOOK BY A MASTER STORYTELLER, 2 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This exciting new novel is set 15 years after THE SHADOW MATRIX and is a direct sequel to it. While the Premier of the Terran Federation suspends the legislature of the Federation and tries to establish a tyrannical rule, Lyle Belfontaine, the Terran station chief on Darkover, plots to grab control over Darkover by force. But his plans do not remain a secret and the Comyn have their own plans to meet Belfontaines conspiracy. Regis Hastur, who suffered a stroke at the beginning of the book, is unable to lead the Comyn, so Mikhail and Marguerida take over, despite the heavy opposition of the Comyn Council. The Darkovans have to struggle hard to rescue their world, because they not only have to fight against the Terrans, but they also have a traitor in their own midst. This book is full of wonderful, engaging and powerful characters. It has a complex and interesting story (that ends with the most important historical event since the rediscovery of Darkover). It is extremely fast-paced; all the action takes place within a tenday. And finally it is a real page-turner. No fan of Darkover or Marion Zimmer Bradley would want to miss this new chapter in the history of Darkover. It's great!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best Darkover books I've read yet, 9 Dec 1998
By A Customer
"Traitor's Sun" continues the Darkover series. The story picks up several years after the end of "The Shadow Matrix". Several of the characters from the earlier books return,but the main focus of this book is on the new characters: Marguerida Alton's son Domenic, and some completely new or mostly unknown characters. This novel is anything but predictable.I won't tell you what happens so I don't spoil it for you,but READ IT! Tell you this much: it focuses less on the psi/magic
aspect of Darkover, and on a different problem that becomes DEADLY serious. A problem called the Terran Federation of Planets. For my money, this is one of Bradley's best novels so far.She ROCKS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously not pure MZB, 11 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! IT BLEW MY MIND!!!, 15 April 1999
By A Customer
I was a bit skeptical when I first purchased this book. In order for me to read science fiction, the storyline has to grab me. Well, this book definitely grabbed my attention. In the TRAITOR'S SUN, Regis Hastur has passed away, leaving Mikhail Hastur, his heir, as the new regent of Darkover. Mikhail must once again face opposition from some of the members of the domains and go against a new threat from the Terran Federation. We learn about other characters aswell, especially about Marguerida and Mikhail's oldest son, Domenic. Because I wanted to learn more about the Darkover series, I also purchased the two books before this one, EXILE'S SONG which took place fifteen years earlier and introduced us to an adult Marguerida Alton and Mikhail Hastur and THE SHADOW MATRIX in which Marguerida and Mikhail go back in time and Mikhail inherits a great power. These are also fantastic books. I cannot wait for the next addition to this amazing saga.
TRAITOR'S SUN is filled with sci-fi action and with enough of a romantic twist to keep you enthralled. I recommend this book and it's predecessors. You'll love it. Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this for my partner, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Traitor's Sun: A Novel of Darkover (Mass Market Paperback)
My partner likes this book and hasn't put it down since Christmas. So I reckon it's worth the 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars concluding a trilogy, 12 Jun 2013
B. Humphreys "Bopa" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traitor's Sun (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading the conclusion to the Margaret Alton trilogy but I'm not sure it was quite up to the best of the Darkover novels. It has the feel of being written in a hurry so I wonder if MZB was already ill when she wrote this one? There's a feeling there should be a bit more of the story to come - it's a shame she's no longer with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Traitor's Sun - Marion Zimmer Bradley, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Traitor's Sun (Kindle Edition)
I've been revisiting these books most of which I read in paperback many, many years ago. I loved the series at the time, but didn't come across this one so I was happy to fill in the gaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye to the Federation, 15 Feb 2014
M Bennett "Mazrat" (The Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traitor's Sun (Kindle Edition)
Really liked this particular episode of the Darkover series. I started reading them in no particular order, however I wish I had read them in chronological order as there is a lot going on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Traitor's Sun (Kindle Edition)
Loved the story,(would be nice to see the book before this on kindle) this would have got a 5 but annoyingly there are many typo's and incorrect spellings in the kindle copy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Traitor's Sun: A Novel of Darkover
Traitor's Sun: A Novel of Darkover by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 2000)
4.77