4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, but a bit complex to pick up.
Having just completed the book, I will start out by saying I did read the whole book, and I did enjoy it.
Published on 21 Nov 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars The fire died out-I couldn't finish this book.
Published on 17 July 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, but a bit complex to pick up., 21 Nov 1997
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I would caution readers that if you are like me and haven't read the first books, it might be better to start there. As previously mentioned in another review, there are a LOT of relationships discussed in this book. I felt a little overwhelmed (and almost started drawing diagrams) trying to keep track of all the characters! There are at least 19 names encountered after going through the prologue and first five pages of Chapter One (and there are many more introduced later....).
There are many references that I presume are to the previous books, which sometimes left me trying to puzzle out what happened and how it related to the current book. Some things were never really explained, with inferences merely by the number of references including Gestalt (a noun, telepath gene mutating virus perhaps), the nature of the Terran/Sholan governments and the exchange program, the 'Alliance', time travel, and so forth.
I was also frustrated in several loose ends that did not conclude within the book, clearly to be taken up by yet another in the series (which does not appear to exist yet).
The current book does have some thought provoking looks at various situations. A few situations are just plain frightening if you really consider what you are reading. While there is almost no actual combat in the book, there is a war going on and some truly horrific choices are made. The frightening part is that it is so plausible. The tone of the book is softened by the bulk of day to day interactions which don't involve the military neccessities.
A lot of the conflict that occurs in the book is a result of various relationships. Some working out better than others. Most of the relationships have considerable thought, insight, and character decision wrapped into the story. But there are exceptions. I was somewhat reminded of Elfquest and the 'recognition' that Pini's elves have in that some of the relationships are thrust on the characters as a result of the telepathic abilities they possess.
There are lots of little culteral differences between Sholan and human characters, but their similarities to humans outweigh their differences. The Sholans we are presented with in this book seem to have adapted to humans overall (a comparison would be humans and vulcans from Star Trek, they are different but not truly alien or all that incomprehensible).
Many of the characters are likable, with distinct variations and personalities. Throughout the two evenings I read the book, my interest was maintained in many of the core characters (and the host of additional characters making appearances).
I would recommend reading the book AFTER reading the first ones. I enjoyed the book, but I think it will all be much clearer when I am done with the first ones.
Dale Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book by the author of Fire margins, 5 Mar 2004
Mark E. Cooper "Fantasybooks" (STANFORD-LE-HOPE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
The fourth instalment in the Sholan Alliance series finds Carrie and Kusac Aldatan on Shola after the birth of their daughter. Kusac is now clan leader of the newly created En'Shalla clan and is busily arranging matters at his estate in readiness for an influx of mixed leska pairs (sholan/human). The Valtegan General, Kezule, is being interrogated, and matters are underway to rescue the team sent to Jalna to discover what the Valtegans found so interesting. Everything seems to be going fine.
But...
Kaid is still not entirely well. He is having visions of the future that do not bode well for Carrie and Kusac, and what's more, his faith in his god Vartra has been tested to the breaking point. Although all the characters we love are here in abundance, Razor's edge is Kaid's book.
Learn all about Kaid and his obsession with Carrie. Watch him pull away from her, damn his god, and even try to burn down the temple of Vartra! Kaid is at the breaking point, and no one can save him... only yes they can! Time for Noni to step out of the shadows and reveal a little more about herself and the people called the guardians. :)
Buy this book and you will not want to put it down, but that's okay, because you know the feeling from the previous three in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book in a cross-genre series, 4 Nov 1997
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Only the strongest of the strong can survive the taboos of a cross-species relationship. Carrie (a human telepath) and Kusac (a Sholan telepath) are getting the opportunity to test this resolve as they must stand up to both of their people, who try to manipulate or destroy them. The other member of their unique Triad is Kaid. The trio are struggling to come to grips with their unique arrangement, but also with what they have learned from their travel through the FIRE MARGINS.
However, rest and absorption are not on the menu for this intrepid threesome. They travel to the planet Jalna in an effort to rescue Sholans and humans being held prisoner. None of the trio are prepared to meet the dangerously insane people who have incarcerated members of their races. Unknown to any of them is that the natives are long time plants from their enemy, the Valtegans.
The fourth novel in Lisanne Norman's "Sholan alliance" is a fascinating science fiction work that provides in-deptg insight into various species inhabiting the universe. To Ms. Norman's credit, all the species seem very authentic and the story line is fast-paced and fun to read. Fans of cultural exploration of otther worlds will enjoy this entire series.
Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Forward To The 5th Book In The Series., 23 April 1998
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Lisanne Norman's books are a recent discovery. Luckily, I began with "The Turning Point", the first book in the series. It's the typical theme of "boy meets girl" handled with imagination. The boy is a handsome alien feline who crash lands on the human girl's newly colonized world; a world that has been recently conquered by a race of alien reptiles. I could hardly put the book down and was eager to see how Carrie and Kusac would handle the challanges that awaited them on Kusac's home world of Shola in "Fortune's Wheel", the sequel. I was not disappointed. "Fire Margins" and now "Razor's Edge" were even better than the first two books. With each new book, Ms. Norman continues to develop believable characters who show personal growth in complex situations. Add to that the detailed descriptions of the Sholan world in which they live combined with an epic story line and you have a great adventure series. Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars The fire died out-I couldn't finish this book., 17 July 1998
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Lisanne Norman's series had a high and a low point for me. Somehow I treaded past the first book Turning point and went on to the more interesting book after that, Fortune's Wheel. But, about 3/4ths of the way through Razor's Edge, I put the book down and never picked it back up. I was kind of sick of Leskas and when 3 person Leskas began appearing that was it for me. I guess I'm just a two-person traditonalist. Plus, the abilities of the telepaths are kind of hazy-you don't really know what they can do, exactly. I know that even they don't know all they can do, but still...Was it me or did Norman's writing get a bit mechanical? Carrie seemed to lose most of her personality. Overall, the series died out, going from interesting to tiring. Maybe her next book will lift it out of the dredge.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 15 Jun 1998
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read every single book in the series and I loved all of them. My only regret is that Carrie is not shown to be possesed of any offenssive talents(ie. telekinesis, pyrokinesis...). Her mani talents all seem rather useless in any combat situations. Perhaps Ms. Norman will develop more hidden talents in the next book in the series. Also as with her other books in the series the complex relationships inherent in the storyline did become somewhat tedious and only minorly detracted from my enjoyment of the book
On a different note Ms. Norman has posted a message on her webpage saying the next book will be called Dark Nadir and she is in the process of writing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 25 Jan 1999
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read some of the other reviews on this book and was really shocked! Well here it is! I loved the charactors and the plot.So many times I read a book and think, "Is this all there is? What happened to-Whoever or whatever? Very few authors have the Guts to carry a storyline this many booksand still have me pre-ording the next one as soon as it comes out!-and rereading the prior books to more enjoy the new book! Lisanne- Please keep the books coming! These books in your Sholon series reminds me of the phrase,"Where do you want to go today?" They are a lovely escape for a quiet moment to relive stress and bring a smile! Keep Up The Good Work!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not beliveable, what so ever., 25 Mar 1998
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Romance and science fiction are fine together to a certain point, but I found that every one of Norman's books were pointless and stupid. It was like she was looking for length and got nothing but a bunch of loose ends and mundane plots. Human telepaths are not real, this "Carrie" chic was even less real. There was a war going on, but I saw no fighting. There was no science, just a bunch of bloody romance! The "Turning Point" was alright, it should have ended there though. I suggest for Norman to give it up! Somebody has to tell her that her writing stinks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Men beware, the whole book is about relationships., 7 Nov 1997
This review is from: Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't want to get into a men vs women thing here but this whole book is about relationships and most men (being the insensitive brutes that we are) will be bored to tears. I couldn't finish it. It is rare that I can't finish a book.

Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction)
Razor's Edge (Daw Science Fiction) by Lisanne Norman (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Dec 1997)