Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 18 March 2004
This is the last book in a wonderful trilogy and to get the best of all three books they should definitely be read in order. Vanyel Ashkevron the last Herald Mage of the series title has finally found love again with the bard Stephan after years of mourning his first love. Things are not easy though as the country of Valdemar is in ever greater danger. King Randale is dying of an incurable slow wasting disease and something is killing off the herald mages. As his friends and collegues are eliminated one by one Vanyel is left ever more alone as things only get worse. This is by far the darkest book of the series and can get bleak in places, but Mercedes Lackey still manages to include some lighter touches and some warmer moments before bringing the series to a dramatic conclusion.
on 27 December 2007
I picked up this series because I was in the process of writing a fantasy novel with a gay hero and I wanted to see what other works were out there. I had never read Ms. Lackey's work, so I didn't know what to expect. I was not just pleasantly surprised by this trilogy, I was completely captivated by it and very sad when I reached the final page. The plot is interesting and the pace is quick. The characters, especially the hero Vanyel, are extremely sympathetic, primarily due to the fact that they are so flawed. Some may find the romance a bit sappy, but I'm the first to admit that I dig that kind of thing and you'll see it in my own novels as well (Orphan's Quest (Chronicles of Firma, Book One)). Best of all for me, though, was the fact that although her hero is unapologetically gay, the series does not become mired in its "gayness" as so many other works of gay-themed fiction I have read.

This trilogy gave me a great deal of inspiration to push on with my own fantasy aspirations. I owe Misty a big hug if we ever meet face to face. I highly recommend these three books. Whether you're gay or straight, you'll find them an excellent read and, like me, you'll be sorry to reach that last page.
on 24 January 2016
The 3rd book in series of 3. You must read Magic's Pawn, book 1, then Magic's Promise, book 2, before this book 3. The whole story is a very good read. Mercedes Lackey has a great skill of making the reader pick up a book and grudge and interruptions or work schedules that means the reader has to put the book down. I feel sure that most readers would enjoy this series. but do read all 3 books and read them in the correct order.
on 28 February 2013
This is the third in a linked group of stories; it would be easiest to understand the world in which it all happens if you have manged to read the previous two volumes. With the underlying theme of heroic, desperate sacrifice in the cause of good, this filled me with the kind of emotions evoked by many operas - while enjoying the artistry of the work, a kind of despair at the inevitability of the end. Great trio, though!
on 7 September 2013
I love/hate this book. I can never leave it out when I reread the trilogy but I hate the ending! Mind you it is a little bit redeemed by the epilogue. Overall this is a well written emotional read that is very much a norm for Valdemar stories, if you don't want your heartstrings pulled to pieces then don't bother starting them.
on 14 September 2010
What a great writer this Mercedes Lackey is. She maintains the pace, interest and great characterisation in her usual flawless manner. The Valdemar series is great reading about a believable world and situations. A really great series of both novels and short stories, I recommend to all Sci Fi fans.
on 29 May 2013
This is an amazing series. I read all 3 in one sitting, cried, then read them again. Would highly recommend this author.
on 11 June 2007
I really agree with Jason C. Hill's review.

It is not the plot or her writing skill (both lacking) that make this novel (and the whole series) readable but the emotional impact of the book: Ms Lackey perfectly knows how to hit someone's sensitivity, how to stir emotions, how to make her main characters endearing and even if the developing of the story is not what one could wish it is very easy to suspend any critisism.

Despite its flaws and a serious need for editorial care (so many typos and plot inconsistencies are hardly to be tolerated) this novel keeps you awake at night to finish it. Even the ending, while rhetorical, still manages to work.

Not a book I should recommend as a masterwork but a leasurable reading for sure.
on 23 July 2005
The third book in my all time favorite trilogy. In Magic's Promise Vanyel successfully defeated Tylendels uncle, purged an old wound and healed his heart.
This book is everything we expect it to be, melancholy, tragic and brimmed with sorrow. And yet it is also beautiful and tender, as Vanyel learns to love again. Magic's Price is a fitting end to this trilogy as poignant and thrilling as its predecessors yet so much more as well. im not going to give anything else away, you'll have to read it to find what happens. But you wont be dissapointed... awe the ending is perfect.
on 30 December 1999
I always laugh and cry my way through this book, I love the way Misty shows you the compassion, pain and love between Vanyel and Stefan all combined with the usual wonderful fantsy of Valdemar