4.0 out of 5 stars Will the big ERP players read this ?, 24 Oct 2000
This review is from: Necessary but Not Sufficient (Paperback)
Another Goldratt novel, a bit more forced than "The Goal" and "It's not luck" (Yes, I am a fan of TOC) nor so gripping somehow. Still, I did read it in one session - couldn't put it down. The main thrust is how to change and implement ERP to give real TOC improvements. Although ostensibly about a software organisation the real lessons are for Industrial Production style Companies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the Theory of Constraints, 26 Aug 2003
Paul Mcgillivray (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Necessary but Not Sufficient (Paperback)
This is my first book on TOC, and I'm now hooked - Goldratt's non-fiction approach allows the theory to drift into awareness very nicely, with inspirational ideas on how to apply it along the way.
My only criticism is that is left me wanting more - too much more - I can't help feel that he could have gone into more depth on the theory side of it. That said, I agree with the last reviewer - I couldn't put it down either...

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn to be paranoid!, 24 Feb 2010
G. Fraser (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Necessary but Not Sufficient (Paperback)
This is certainly one of the great books on TOC (Theory of Constraints) and drives home the fact that TOC on it's own is often not enough to get quantum leaps in throughput.

Written in a similar style to "The Goal" and "It's Not Luck" (both of which I'd suggest you read before this book) you're taken in to the world of an ERP software company and their biggest systems integration company. Seemingly insurmountable challenges and certain doom face the teams as their core market becomes saturated - can TOC come to the rescue once again? Yes, of course, but to achieve full potential it needs a helping hand from a few other things... You'll have to read the book to find out :)

I deducted one star because once again we find retail supply chain management starting to dominate towards the end of the book and our company has nothing to do with, and does not come in to contact with, that area of business. I'm hoping that Goldratt will release a TOC book that doesn't mention, or even allude to, retail supply chain management.

ARRAY(0xa2686984)

Necessary but Not Sufficient
Necessary but Not Sufficient by Eliyahu M. Goldratt (Paperback - Oct 2000)
11.99