Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 1997
I was actually angry after dropping twenty dollars on this incoherent brochure for the Goldratt institute's seminars. The book is written in such a way that it actually manages to avoid any substantive discussion of the implementation of the Theory of Constraints - instead describing how a Goldratt trained specialist has the skills to make it work. Imagine buying a book on how to change the oil on your car - then discovering the book reads, "First take your car to our Jiffy Lube center, Next watch our Jiffy Lube expert as he expertly lubes your car in a jiffy, lastly return home in your car."
If you want to actually understand the Theory of Constraints beyond Goldratts excellent novels - pick up H. William Dettmer's book "Goldratt's Theory of Constraints." It is everything that this book should have been and more. I cannot stress enough how clearly and lucidly Dettmer explains all of the diagrams and "Thinking Tools" that Goldratt litters through his novels. Armed with Dettmer's book and Goldratt's novels you will be in good shape to apply the concepts to any situation.
on 18 December 1997
While much of this book is simply a review of concepts he has introduced in his novels, he does introduce a few new concepts that make reading the book well worth the effort. In particular, the last chapter brings together the concepts of JIT, TQM, TOC, and several others into a cohesive whole that I have not seen anywhere else. It was worth reading the entire book just for the last chapter.
I felt the non-fiction format allowed him to be more explicit about his ideas than in his novels. He uses a lot of examples from his seminars to illustrate key learning points, which I thought was helpful to illustrate the learning process he recommends his readers go through. I didn't get the impression he was simply trying to sell more seminar tickets.
Since I read this shortly after reading The Goal, I felt I learned a great deal about the Theory of Constraints and its background. He elaborates on many of these concepts in later books, so you probably won't learn much more here if you have read many of his other books. I would still recommend reading this book just to get a more complete picture of the strengths and especially the pitfalls of the Theory of Constraints.
on 24 August 1998
In this short offering (128 pages), we are treated to no less than 31 reprinted pages from previous books or Journal articles. The "new" material is pretty much limited to gushing worship of the Socratic teaching methods, a couple of lists of improvement process rules of thumb, and an analytical technique called "Evaporating Clouds" that can only be described as vaporous.
If you hunger for more, there are plenty of pitches for various seminars on Socratic teaching and cloud evaporation, conducted by the local branch of the Goldratt Institute (with a handy listing of these branches located in the book).
The Goal was helpful and well done. The successor is not worthy.
on 6 January 2016
Interesting book but not so easy to implement in real and modern life. Recommended reading, though.
on 6 July 1998
Of particular interest to me was the focusing process-- the (1) What to change, (2) To what to change to and (3) How to cause the change.
The detailed analysis and ranking of Throughput (T), Operating Expense (OE) and Inventory (I) was a good, practical summary of the fundamentals of TOC.
The last chapter effectively integrates JIT, TQM and TOC, with TOC emerging as the "verbalizer" of the other two improvement methods.
Another excellent piece of work by Dr. Goldratt!
on 14 October 1998
TOC is very well done....until you get to the the second half. Dr. Goldratt would have done better if he could have teamed with someone to offer techniques on the psycology side. His TOC is however, very well explained in the front half of the book.
on 16 March 2014
I read this book many years ago, and have it in my library still I looked on Amazon to see if I could send a copy to a friend and was delighted to see it still in print. Having read the book, I insisted my team attend too. It is thought provoking material - but as demonstrated by other reviews, you will need to work through it's application in your own situation - but then - there is no such thing as a free lunch!
on 12 May 1998
If you read books to find a nugget of very useful information, this is a very good book to help understand the importance of finding and focusing on the constraining factor of any organization. I have read several of Goldratt's books, and found this one to be quite helpful.
on 9 March 2007
You cannot ignore this work by Goldratt. Even if later chapters of the book fail to present techniques very well.

Theory of Constraints (TOC) is excellently portrayed.
on 25 April 2015
Book was intriguing and educative