5.0 out of 5 stars the best for the greatest !, 8 May 2003
Jordi Vilalta Lopez (Barcelona (Spain)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
The best book for the greatest mathematician! In my near half a century of life as a math amateur and would-be teacher, I haven't seen a book more clearly written as this one! If you remember something of your college calculus (and not looking back with anger, I assume), you'd do well reading it, it's most enjoyable and just at the right level. It explores the deeds of Euler in the different fields of math, one chapter to a field, and gives the most basic insights and results. And it's not an unduly 'modernized', anachronistic book, since it's Euler (and not, say, Gauss or Cauchy) who began 'contemporary' mathematics.
If you read this and love it, please don't miss Euler works in translation, especially Prof. Blanton's for Springer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Theorem, proof, happiness., 9 Feb 2004
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
This is a fairly slim book for the cost, but the content justifies this. Unlike some of Dunham's other books, this is really intended for an undergraduate rather than a school or A-level student, though I would recommend it to someone at college who is expecting to do a maths degree. Euler's works are not readily available and this book is one rare chance to see some fully worked proofs of Euler's. Luckily for me my university has Euler's "Opera Omnia" in its library, but even for us privaleged Euler fans, the great tomes are in all sorts of languages, (Latin, German, French &c). Take this opportunity and experience some well selected theorems with proofs belonging to Euler presented by Dunham in English and with informal commentary. I have worked through one or two of the proofs in "Euler, The Master Of Us All" in detail, ensuring that I followed every step, and the rewards are massive. I was so enthusiastic about one of the proofs that I tried to learn it off by heart, (and I think I succeeded short term, but I suspect I would need to revise it now). I am a pure mathematics enthusiast, (though I won't go into my philosophical uncertainties about today's frontiers), and this is what might be called elegant pure maths before all the big fish were caught, (Euler was himself a master fisherman, and could probably fish with a rod in both hands and undoubtedly knew every kind of knot).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable overview of the work of a great mathematician, 17 Jun 2000
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
In 8 chapters Dunham selects highlights from the prolific work of Leonhard Euler, one of history's great mathematicians. Each chapter selects a topic from Euler's work, and explains some of Euler's results, putting them into an historical context by describing what was known before Euler, and how the area has been developed subsequently. All proofs are clearly and lucidly explained, and the book is completely accessible to anyone with a knowledge of high-school algebra, geometry and simple calculus.
The book is also very readable, giving a clear idea of why Euler's work was so ground-breaking at the time. Yet Dunham does not place Euler on a pedestal - there are explanations of why some his methods of proof would no longer be accepted as entirely rigorous, and a chapter on his failed attempts to prove the fundamental theorem of algebra.
Another masterpeice from Dunham, to go alongside "The Mathematical Universe" and "Journey Through Genius".

5.0 out of 5 stars A humbling experience, 25 Nov 2006
Haraldur Baldursson (Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
It is truly a humbling experience to read about the work and life of Leonard Euler. William Dunham has fully succeded in portaying Euler as the giant he was (and remains) in a very readable and plesant way. The examples displayed flow with Eulers geneous, but are presented in a way, that almost anyone should be able to derive pleasure from reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but Too Brief, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. The mathematics covered attempts to be representative of Euler's colossal output, giving the reader a flavour of his contributions to Algebra, Geometry , the beginnings of Analysis and Combinatorics. For the reader entirely unaquainted with Leonhard Euler I think it would probably succeed. However my feeling is that the book is far too short and also quite expensive considering its brevity (170 pages).I am quite sure that far more material could have been included. The book is well written with a clear level of exposition.. the proofs are well set out and easy and enjoyable to follow. This book supplements the offerings from Paul Nahin (Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula) and Julian Havil's 'Gamma' ..the latter containing rather more mathematics though.

4.0 out of 5 stars How Euler worked, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
With Euler it is always easist to write a long book. He did so much that the temptation is to give usa long text one some concept. The author here manages to give us a shorter book on Euler that exposes how he worked. Euler seemed to drain every last drop of valuable mathematics from each of his marvellous insights. I found this book gave me a view of this in action over a group of topics. An enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
This would be a very good book for students who have done the further maths A level. The book is funny in places and very entertaining, although there were a number of places where I needed to get out the paper and pencil. It would be very helpful if equations were kept on the same page as the text that describes them as I found myself having to flick between pages quite a bit. I found myself asking `how on earth did Euler think of that' quite a bit, but then I suppose he was a genius... One of the best maths books I have read, both entertaining and instructional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dunham -- Dun it again, 29 Jan 2003
S. Powell "Zteve" (Hursley, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Euler : The Master of Us All (Paperback)
William Dunham has again accurately conveyed the joy and beauty of mathematics from the point of view of the master. Here is a very good description of key Eulerian contributions, stopping short of the very deep but including sufficient to intrigue and delight the serious mathematics afficionado. Delightful reading and a definite must for anyone who wants to know what a genius does.

Euler : The Master of Us All
Euler : The Master of Us All by William Dunham (Paperback - 4 Mar 1999)
25.99