on 17 October 2012
This is an excellent book when trying to explain stranger danger to young children.
Good example of problem without scaring the child.
on 21 July 2014
Well written, perhaps a little too wordy but certainly gets all the concepts across. I bought for my four year old, at the moment he is more interested in Cathy's brother and school, and the fish in the story than the actual incident with the stranger, but it will keep reading it to him and hopefully the concepts will sink in!
on 24 August 2010
UK reviewer.
I bought "Not Everyone is Nice" 2003/2009 (hereafter called NEIN) along with "Who Is A Stranger And What Should I Do?" 1985 and "It's My Body" 1982, to help teach a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old with mild autism about personal safety when out and about.
The only disadvantage of NEIN for us was the American vocabulary e.g. mommy, kindergarten, crossing guard, curb, sweater, candy bar, pet it.
The illustrations are in colour like the cover, and every other page is an illustration, so the text does not dominate.
There is a list of tips for kids and a list of tips for parents and guardians at the back.
We found this a nice simple introduction to the subject. The analogy of the lion fish and sea anemone not being what they seemed worked really well with both the 5- and the 7-year old.
Once we got over the vocabulary problems, I think it was useful and well worth the money.
on 5 December 2013
I read reviews about this book and decided to buy it as my partner and I were mildly concerned that our daughter was a little over trusting of strangers. We sat down and read it together with her old brother (she was just 4 and he was just 7). I found the situation in the story a little unlikely (i.e. that a child of who appears to be approx 4 would be left to wait for her mother outside her nursery on a street corner) but that wasn't really an issue as we talked about situations where they might be out of our sight briefly for example at the park. The book was a good starting point for a discussion about how grown ups might try to be friendly and invent things they have in common with you to make you feel comfortable around them but how they could be lying and you should not accept anything from them or go anywhere with them and it uses the idea of things that look nice being dangerous. We think that there is a small risk of harm for our children from stranger danger (compared to traffic and road safety which we have spent a lot of time talking about) but that we wanted to gently introduce this topic to them and this book was excellent in this respect.
on 3 December 2014
I've given 4 stars because the book arrived quickly and was exactly as described although I was disappointed as id failed to realise it was americanised. I ended up confusing my daughter with words she was unfamiliar with.
Teaching children to be cautious around strangers cannot be stressed enough. This book does an invaluable service in helping parents address issues of what to do if approached by a stranger and safety steps the children can take. It is NEVER too early to teach children about safety. Sadly, in some worst case scenarios, the point becomes moot. This book is a good preventive tool.
The story focusses on a little girl who is nearly kidnapped by a stranger. She is easily misled into thinking he is a nice man. The book provides parents, educators and others with a forum to discuss why not everybody is nice and preventive steps one can take to stack the safety odds in their favor.
Making safety talks a regular part of one's lives and routines will ultimately save a lot of lives and also provide tools to build a safer world.
on 4 August 2014
This book really helped both my 3 & 4 year old under stand strangers & danger would recommend
on 8 May 2016
I have been talking to my daughter about stranger danger for a while now. Having purchased this book for her has helped drum this into her head. She loved the book and was able to understand what I been saying to her whilst reading the book.
Definitely worth the purchase. Thumbs up.
on 26 May 2015
I thought that this book was a good example of how to help a child understand safety outside of the home, it is quite a long story, so make sure you have the time to devote to it.
on 4 December 2015
Great book at helping those little ones learn about stranger danger, which can sometimes be tricky to explain without frightening them too much.