5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Design Book
I have a large collection of books on all aspects of planting, gardening techniques and design theory but this book is outstanding amongst them.

Published on 1 Jan 2012 by Kev the Greenman

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was very excited when I read the first pages of this book on the 'search inside' feature, so immediately bought it for the design ideas I expected it to contain. The idea of plants grouped into their shapes was very interesting to me, and potentially very helpful in relation to designing my garden. (I am an amateur and need all the help I can get.)
The first...
Published 21 months ago by Dee M

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Design Book, 1 Jan 2012
This review is from: Gardening with Shape, Line, and Texture: A Plant Design Sourcebook (Hardcover)

For me, the most useful part of the book are the introductory chapters which are an exposition of a subject which can be something of a black art even to the most experienced of gardeners. The author explains clearly what she means by example and underpins this with sound theory. Straight after I read this book I went out and put her ideas into practice and produced a new bed which looks superb (even in mid winter) and which I know I wont be changing as I often do. I'm currently "editing" all my other borders using the principles from this book resulting in a vast aesthetic improvement throughout my garden.

I've been gardening for over twenty years and I do it for a living and it's not often I find a book this good which elevates my knowlege base and raises the bar by so much. Money well spent, a good source book and a book which will repay re-reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 4 April 2013
The first chapter is excellent, and lived up to my expectations. From page 39 to 271 there is no further design information. Instead there are descriptions of plants. A chapter is devoted to each of the 'shape' categories: horizontals and tiers, verticals and diagonals, arcs and fountains, clumps and mounds, clouds and transparents. There are lovely pictures and descriptions of each plant - I suppose they are useful in themselves, but I have loads of books which describe the features of plants. I was looking for a book about designing with plants, combining the groups, proportions of each in relation to the other, etc.. Perhaps I need my hand held but I expected more from a book described as a 'Plant Design Sourcebook' than one chapter on design. There is also no indication from the 'search inside' feature that the brilliant design information will stop after chapter one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 11 Feb 2011
I love this book. Lin has a great gift for describing plants as well as huge knowledge. The beginning of the book sets up the design process in a way that I find inspiring (Leonardo and divine proportions etc) and then the way she categorises the plants, as well as the selection, is appealing and invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good solid source book, 23 May 2010
D. Bevan "deano1406" (Sussex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
An excellent plant source book, covers America as well as Europe. Broken down into Architectural features of the plants, so ideal for finding plants for your design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shape, 8 Jun 2012
Barneys mum (Chobham, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I gave this book to my daughter who is doing a garden design course. She looked at it briefly and said that it ticked all the boxes, no other book gives plant profiles in this way. The pictures are good too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mophead, 11 Feb 2013
I am revamping a border this year and will be using this is a valuable source of reference for the planting. It's broken up into sections on various layers of planting, ie horizontals, verticals and tiers for example. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug 2014
Great book arrived promptly, thanks!

Gardening with Shape, Line, and Texture: A Plant Design Sourcebook
Gardening with Shape, Line, and Texture: A Plant Design Sourcebook by Linden Hawthorne (Hardcover - 15 Nov 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available