5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 13 Jan. 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Laughter on the Stairs (Merry Hall Trilogy) (Hardcover)
This is the second book in the Merry Hall trilogy by Beverley Nichols, the first of which is the eponymous Merry Hall.

I enjoyed this book much more than the first one, partly I think, because I had grown used to Beverley Nichols idiosyncratic way of writing, partly because I had grown to care for the characters he paints so vividly and it was a pleasure to be reintroduced to them. I think that Laughter on the Stairs is more amusing than the first book too. I particularly loved to read about his torture by decor thanks to the late Mr. Stebbings of Merry Hall, the stained glass window in particular springs to mind. Nichols has an ability to paint miniatures in words, snapshots of his life that are incredibly vivid and a joy to read. His voice reminds me more of a pre war era, with a little of the Mitford about him perhaps. It is perfect escapism.

4.0 out of 5 stars a sequel worth reading, 25 Mar. 2013
This book contained more of, and more about, the characters from Merry Hall. I would like to see a kindle copy of Merry Hall at the same price as this. After Merry Hall's walk round the garden, I enjoyed the ramble round the house named in the first book in the series. I felt as if I was meeting old friends as I read Merry Hall some years ago. It was nice to meet them again. The book was entertaining and light-hearted, just the thing for this bleak long winter we are having. Spring seemed a little nearer after reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars laughter on the stairs, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Laughter on the Stairs (Merry Hall Trilogy) (Hardcover)
This book is an enjoyable light read taking me back to the days of austerity in the 1950s. I like is attention to detail and the delightful people he meeys while restoring his home.

Laughter on the Stairs (Merry Hall Trilogy)
Laughter on the Stairs (Merry Hall Trilogy) by Beverley Nichols (Hardcover - 15 Sept. 1998)