Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2008
I was desperate for some more music to play on the piano and bought this book without really checking that it had what I wanted.

I'm very glad I bought it though! The 150 pieces in the book range from about grade 3 to grade 5 (though I'm not an expert). Not having seen all the classics, I didn't recognise all the music but love every piece! Film soundtracks, songs from musicals and well known tunes, this book has them all. Including "Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music, "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's, "Fly Me To The Moon" and "What a Wonderful World".

Definitley worth buying, I recommend it.
on 24 July 1998
I found this book at the public library and checked it out. Loved it so much I kept it overdue until I could have bought my own copy several times over. So glad I finally added it to my library. It has fast become my favorite.
This collection contains too many great songs to name them all, but my favorites include "Chances Are," the Johnny Mathis love song, "Can't Smile Without You," Barry Mannilow's hit, and Gershwin's "Love is Here to Stay."
You won't find much rock 'n roll, jazz, or country & western in this volume, but you will find enjoyayable, singable songs from almost every decade of this century.
This book draws heavily from musicals ("My Funny Valentine" "Memory"), big band ("Sleepy Lagoon"), Hollywood ("Manhattan" "When You Wish Upon a Star"), ballads ("I Left My Heart in San Francisco" "Smile") and of course love songs ("Till There Was You"! ; "Where or When")
You do not need to be an accomplished pianist to play these, but they are not for beginners either. As Goldilocks would say, they are "just right!" I play piano casually and can sight read about half of these and play the rest with a bit of rehearsal.
Well, I've sold myself again. Time for me to cut this review short and return to playing from "150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever."
0Comment|169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2009
I don't consider myself anything like an accomplished pianist, but I was able to sight read about 10% of this collection of sheet music. That's a dozen or so songs and worth the price alone. What I didn't expect was how many other songs I was able to adapt to play on my keyboard. Every song I wanted to play had the chords printed above or below the staff; I'm sure even the most complete dufus would find it hard not to enjoy playing such showtunes. I commend it to the house!
on 29 August 2009
I bought this coming back to the piano after an absence of 24 years, having previously been up to Grade 6 level. This book was an excellent buy - out of the 150 songs, there are about 30-40 that I recognised and could with some success by sight. With a few months' practice, I have worked some of these up to a point where they are sounding acceptable to the family! The arrangements are good - unlike some of the "Easy to play..." type collections, these are all songs that work very well on a piano - some of the chords will stretch you and your fingers, but there are some tunes (e.g. Fields of Gold, When you go away), that are easier to tackle.

The bulk of these songs come from old musicals and films, but there are a few more contemporary ones (well, from the latter third of the 20th century!). However, you will recognise many of these songs (even if not from their original context, for example the theme from Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, which some may know as the intro on BBC Radio 1' "Our Tune"), and that makes picking them up and playing them at the right tempo a little easier. Sometimes as I wade through this book I feel like a bar pianist with a cheesy repertoire - but who cares? it's fun to dip in and lose yourself in some really beautiful music.
on 26 June 2009
I purchased this book to play the songs on my piano. It was everything I expected it to be and I have had many happy hours playing the tunes. I would certainly recommend it to anyone with some playing experience but not for an absolute beginner. The book is well presented and excellent value for money.
on 23 February 2015
You have to accept that someone else's idea of 150 "Beautiful" songs is unlikely to be as you would choose. Do look at the contents list before buying. My criteria was that I would like about 30. After all 30 songs of sheet music at £17 must be a bargain. In fact I was familiar with. at least 60 so I'm very pleased. It includes songs from shows, films and singles, the earliest from 1924 the latest from1996.
At A4 size the music is easily readable. The book is a bit bulky but opens and sits comfortably on my piano. If you find it bulky, you could break it up At this price it's does it matter? I would have liked a better index but I can accept that. If this is a bit old fashioned for you, there is a sequel quoted "a further 150 ...... ".I've not looked at it but must be worth doing so.
on 23 September 2011
The is an excellent book with such a variety of songs. I liked it so much I showed it to a friend of mine who is a professional musician who was so delighted with the contents I had no alternative but to give it him for his own library and buy another for myself.
We have already performed one song from this book.
Tremendous value.
on 25 March 2010
could be the only music book you'll ever need, great choice of songs from country and popular show standards. perfecet for progressing ex karaoke singers and keyboard jocks.
on 15 November 2014
This book was a disapointment for me. The book is very fine, but the songs are to old. The most of them are from before 1970. If you are a Sinatra-fan you will find the book usefull, but if you like Diane Warren or music from the last tre decades you should not buy this book.
on 14 July 2014
Good value for money but was not as easy to use the chords as I had hoped. being a Keyboard player and not a professional but there were many tunes I did not have in my collection and very happy that I was able to learn how to play them.