4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Buy
I was desperate for some more music to play on the piano and bought this book without really checking that it had what I wanted.

Published on 15 Aug. 2008 by Madeline Felbridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you're a big Rogers and Hammerstein fan.
Bought this book after the reviews and the title description sold it to me. There are some good classics in there but I was disappointed with the amount of Rogers and Hammerstein that filled up a lot of the book - assuming this is because of cheap copyright costs(?!). If you're a fan, you're in for a treat, if like me not so much, I'd probably opt for something different.
Published on 4 Sept. 2011 by jen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Buy, 15 Aug. 2008
This review is from: 150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever (Best Ever) (Paperback)

I'm very glad I bought it though! The 150 pieces in the book range from about grade 3 to grade 5 (though I'm not an expert). Not having seen all the classics, I didn't recognise all the music but love every piece! Film soundtracks, songs from musicals and well known tunes, this book has them all. Including "Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music, "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's, "Fly Me To The Moon" and "What a Wonderful World".

Definitley worth buying, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Blend of Standards, Pops, and Show Tunes, 24 July 1998
By A Customer
I found this book at the public library and checked it out. Loved it so much I kept it overdue until I could have bought my own copy several times over. So glad I finally added it to my library. It has fast become my favorite.
This collection contains too many great songs to name them all, but my favorites include "Chances Are," the Johnny Mathis love song, "Can't Smile Without You," Barry Mannilow's hit, and Gershwin's "Love is Here to Stay."
You won't find much rock 'n roll, jazz, or country & western in this volume, but you will find enjoyayable, singable songs from almost every decade of this century.
This book draws heavily from musicals ("My Funny Valentine" "Memory"), big band ("Sleepy Lagoon"), Hollywood ("Manhattan" "When You Wish Upon a Star"), ballads ("I Left My Heart in San Francisco" "Smile") and of course love songs ("Till There Was You"! ; "Where or When")
You do not need to be an accomplished pianist to play these, but they are not for beginners either. As Goldilocks would say, they are "just right!" I play piano casually and can sight read about half of these and play the rest with a bit of rehearsal.
Well, I've sold myself again. Time for me to cut this review short and return to playing from "150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever."

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of piano practice; beautiful arrangements, 29 Aug. 2009
I bought this coming back to the piano after an absence of 24 years, having previously been up to Grade 6 level. This book was an excellent buy - out of the 150 songs, there are about 30-40 that I recognised and could with some success by sight. With a few months' practice, I have worked some of these up to a point where they are sounding acceptable to the family! The arrangements are good - unlike some of the "Easy to play..." type collections, these are all songs that work very well on a piano - some of the chords will stretch you and your fingers, but there are some tunes (e.g. Fields of Gold, When you go away), that are easier to tackle.

The bulk of these songs come from old musicals and films, but there are a few more contemporary ones (well, from the latter third of the 20th century!). However, you will recognise many of these songs (even if not from their original context, for example the theme from Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, which some may know as the intro on BBC Radio 1' "Our Tune"), and that makes picking them up and playing them at the right tempo a little easier. Sometimes as I wade through this book I feel like a bar pianist with a cheesy repertoire - but who cares? it's fun to dip in and lose yourself in some really beautiful music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for piano, 7 July 2009
Mr. David C. C. Beattie (London, United kingdom) - See all my reviews
I don't consider myself anything like an accomplished pianist, but I was able to sight read about 10% of this collection of sheet music. That's a dozen or so songs and worth the price alone. What I didn't expect was how many other songs I was able to adapt to play on my keyboard. Every song I wanted to play had the chords printed above or below the staff; I'm sure even the most complete dufus would find it hard not to enjoy playing such showtunes. I commend it to the house!

5.0 out of 5 stars 129 of the Most Beautiful .............., 10 Sept. 2010
Excellent value for money. Inevitably if you have a number of music books already there are bound to be repeats, usually, but not always, with the same arrangement. This said there are quite a number of pleasant surprises as you go through - particularly if the titles don't immediately strike a chord. (No pun intended). I also love the way the book stays open with little effort. Most refuse to do so without breaking the binding!

Downside, despite being a semi-professional pianist for almost 50 years there are a good number of pieces that were completely unfamiliar accordingly I would question their inclusion - and hence the title of my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars 150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever, 26 Jun. 2009
A. Brown (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book to play the songs on my piano. It was everything I expected it to be and I have had many happy hours playing the tunes. I would certainly recommend it to anyone with some playing experience but not for an absolute beginner. The book is well presented and excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars 150 of the most beautiful songs ever, 25 Mar. 2010
P. Humphries - See all my reviews
could be the only music book you'll ever need, great choice of songs from country and popular show standards. perfecet for progressing ex karaoke singers and keyboard jocks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you're a big Rogers and Hammerstein fan., 4 Sept. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars 150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever, 23 Sept. 2011
The is an excellent book with such a variety of songs. I liked it so much I showed it to a friend of mine who is a professional musician who was so delighted with the contents I had no alternative but to give it him for his own library and buy another for myself.
We have already performed one song from this book.
Tremendous value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very classic evergreens, 15 Nov. 2014
This book was a disapointment for me. The book is very fine, but the songs are to old. The most of them are from before 1970. If you are a Sinatra-fan you will find the book usefull, but if you like Diane Warren or music from the last tre decades you should not buy this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever (Best Ever)
150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever (Best Ever) by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation (Paperback - 10 Jan. 1987)