4.0 out of 5 stars A bakers bible, 8 Jun 2006
Milo's Mum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-purpose Baking Cookbook (Hardcover)
You don't grasp the vast size of this book from the details, it really is a great hunk of a book! It has such great basic recipes, and I find myself referring back to it time and time again. Just a note, as a British baker, I find the amounts a bit overwhelming and usually half or quarter the ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-round baking book, 9 Jun 2007
John J. Rynne "johnrynne" (ARANJUEZ, Spain) - See all my reviews
The book covers everything from biscuits to bread. They give a lot of useful detail and discussion of techniques. The only drawback is that it's all in "cups", which is meaningless in continental Europe. It's a good idea to get a set of American cup measures (and teaspoon/tablespons, while you're at it).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Standard In Baking, 30 Nov 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I am a fan of all things King Arthur. I live about 6 miles from the King Arthur bakery store and education center. I have been using their flour for 30 years or more. I recommend their flour and products to everyone. Their on-line website combines the best if all worlds, recipes, information, baker's blogs and helpful baking hints.

I purchased the original King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion eleven years ago, when the original cookbook was published. I have purchased this cookbook for my daughter, the baker. I have used thus cookbook for so many recipes, but the recipe that gets rave reviews from everyone who has tasted them, is the blueberry muffins. No kidding, they are the best muffins I have ever tasted, not too sweet, just right,brimming with blueberry taste.

This book was written by the bakers in the King Arthur test kitchens. This essential baking book contains over 450 recipes and variations, for all kinds of baked goods. Every recipe has been repeatedly tested; many have step by step illustrations to help you learn new techniques. There are several sections on ingredients and tools; highlighted with lovely color photographs. This cookbook was awarded the 2004 KitchenAid Cookbook of the Year by the James Beard Foundation.

The Beard Foundation lists The Baker’s Companion as one of their 20 essential cookbooks: “written by established authorities in their fields whose work continues to be valid and useful year after year.” And, boy, do I concur. This cookbook should be a standard in every kitchen.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 11-30-13

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this in your bookshelf, 27 Nov 2013
If you frequently bake, then you absolutely need to own this cookbook. It's reliable, and it covers almost anything you can think of. It's a good starting point for most recipes, and I just can't imagine not having it in my library.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the 'bakes everything' baker., 8 Feb 2014
Keeping this short and sweet since I had to return the item (let's call it a spell of baking apathy).

It's dense, detailed, visual, nearly 'fool-proof' but definitely, full of inspiration. On the other hand, it's brief since it attempts to cover the world's best known bakes, and worst, for the US cup-hating baker, full of volume measures. Now, if you're online, you'll know KAF have an excellent site, full of not only their own recipes (yes, from this very book), but also seasonally updated and reader contributed recipes. Now why would I give that up for this? My shelves are already heaving...

However, given its functionality, I would consider buying it again were inspiration for turning on the oven ever comes knocking again. For now, I'm more than happy to use their online resource with the handy conversion tool added to the majority of post-2008 recipes. How can you beat that?

Also, for the 'loves all things American' baker, this is a must.

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-purpose Baking Cookbook