Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 25 April 2013
This is a great book that explains the symbols on each card. I remember looking at the Thoth tarot for the first time and wanting to understand each card in detail and struggling to find material. Well this does the trick.

It concentrates mainly on the cards - especially the Major Arcana in some detail - it does not look at Crowley's "Book of Thoth" in detail. It does mention the Qabalah and Tree of Life but you will need other books for that.

There are some discrepancies in meaning of the symbols that I have found between this book and others, for example, regarding "The Star" this book says that the Globe in the background is a symbol of the Earth, whereas Duquette (in the Thoth Tarot) states that the Globe is often confused for the Earth but is really a representation of the entire heavens! However, I do find this book better regarding the symbols and depth of meaning for each card (Major and Minor) than I do Duquette's and therefore it may be useful for any Thoth tarot reader to have on his/her shelf.

For anyone new to the Thoth Tarot I would recommend this as the first book to read, then Duquette's book (Understanding the Thoth Tarot), then Crowley's book "The Book of Thoth" and then the "Thoth Companion" by Michael Snuffin. These four books re-read will give you a great starting place.

The strength of this book rests in its explanation of the symbols on the Major and Minor Arcana and is a great starting point for the beginner and allowing further individual research with the material provided. Be warned, there are some typos and the binding of the book is not the greatest but it is still a worthwhile purchase.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2011
There are a lot of interesting books on the Tarot out there, and I have some of them myself. However this is the book I really needed back in the mid-70's when I started out. Whilst this can be recommended to those coming to the Tarot, especially the Crowley-Frieda Harris deck, for the first time, there is enough depth psychology and Jungian thinking here, to be of value to more experienced readers. This is far and away the most balanced, yet detailed, direct, yet subtle exegesis of the Crowley-Harris pack that I have come across. There are works out there that are more detailed with regard to the totality of the symbolism, that deal with the Qabalistic aspects of the Tarot, the Golden Dawn attributions etc. However with at least one of these, by the time I had waded through lengthy preambles, historical and biographical data etc., I'd almost lost the will to live. This book delivers on all the important levels, not least a number of useful spreads and some well-thought out observations on how to approach the use of the cards. I cannot recommend this book too highly.
on 2 March 2016
i am a beginner to tarot but I couldn't settle for the rider Waite as it did not resonate with it. I was rather pulled to thoth tarot and so I was on a mission to find an easy to understand book that had all the information about the deck. I will break down the section below

section one : talks about tarot, how to use it, different spreads etc
section two: talks about the major arcana (4 page for each)
section 3: talks about minor arcana and court cards (1 for minor & 2 for court)

Each section goes into detail about the cards and talks about the meaning of cards in different situation (eg. Relationship, professional life, energetically, etc.)

Another thing I love about this book is that it does not sugar coat the meanings, it is very honest. It talks about harsh cards gently, in a manner that does not seem scary or frightening.

I would recommend this to anyone getting to know the Thoth deck!
on 6 November 2013
This is an extremely well written book, with all definitions and concepts well unpacked and explained. I thoroughly recommend this.
on 19 March 2001
The most amazing philosophy behind a pack of cards with a strange connection to the subconscious. Accepting and learning from Crowley's theories based on the qabala leads to an insight into human existance and a guide towards development. A word of warning - this is not for those afraid of the truth, or those weak enough to not control the cards but instead be swayed by them.
on 19 May 2014
Thanks for posting me 'The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards'. I'm giving you five out of five since I love Tarot cards.
on 8 March 2015
excellent book to accompany the throth tarot- clear- easy to understand
on 23 April 2015
good
on 16 October 2014
It is very comprehensive and possibly suitable for professionals.