5.0 out of 5 stars A must for working with the Tarot
Published on 1 Nov 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars What the...?!*!
Published on 7 April 2008 by DBS72

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for working with the Tarot, 1 Nov 1999
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
The Rider Waite deck is my personal favourite. I was delighted to see that I had made a good decision in ordering them. They are not as 'giant' as you think. I am learning the Tarot for personal development. At present I choose a card a day and keep it where I can see it (on the mantlepiece). Everytime I catch a glimpse of it it reminds me what I am focusing on that day. I don't have a problem with my eye-sight, but I am amazed how much extra detail has been revealed through the larger picture. I wouldn't part with these for anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, bold and beautiful, definately makes client impression, 25 Dec 1998
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
I have had the giant sized cards for several years now, and as a classical scholar of Waite's interpretations, I have found that the large size cards allows one enough room to write the interpretations given by Waite at the top and bottom of each card. A great way to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger is definitely better!, 3 Aug 2007
Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
When I first received these, I could not stop laughing - they're HUGE!!!! But they were also my beloved Rider Waites and the only thing I am disappointed about is that I didn't get them sooner.
These cards are not much different (apart from size obviously) than the Original Riders which is why I love them so much. They have used medium card stock, and in US Games fashion, they are heavily heavily laminated which makes them durable. They also stink of plastic so need a bit of airing first.

So what are the benefits of having this size, is it just a gimmick? Definitely not. The images are much clearer because they are bigger, even my dreaded King of Pentacles - so dark in teh small cards, becomes clearer in these ones. The size of the image means that even on a brief glance - things that you've not noticed before will literally jump out at you leaving you wondering why you didn't notice that before. These are excellent for spreads like the Celtic Cross and others where the cards overlap, because they are not obscured by the crossing card. This avoids a lot of faffing around taht you sometimes get with the standard size cards. The only drawback to the cards is shuffling which for me, and I don't have small hands, can only really be done by putting them on the cloth and swishing them round in a big pool.

The images are clearer and the colours appear sharper on these cards - the 'gold' wash that is on teh standard size seems to have been corrected and you get to see the intended true yellow that they are meant to be.

These cards are brilliant for studying purposes, meditation and for reading (although you will need plenty of space), you will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars What the...?!*!, 7 April 2008
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
Now, I'm only a beginner in tarot reading and I ordered this deck mainly because I have a couple of books in which there are some really beautiful reproductions of the Rider-Waite. I admired the details and the delicacy of colours and lines appearing in those reproductions. Well, the deck I received, and now I suspect it's not the same the other reviewers are talking about, is awful! All the colours of the original have vanished into a basic juxtaposition of rough blue-red-yellow for most of the cards, with some 'delightful' unshaded black and grey in others. Not the slightest nuance, plus if I compare the reproductions on the two books (identical with each other) and the same figure on the giant size they are in some cases quite different. It looks like they made them out of photocopies of photocopies of photocopies. If you have any hint of artistic sensibility stay clear of this awful reproduction. I am still longing to find a proper Rider-Waite, quite discouraged though as the Giant ones are vile, while the reviews of the Original say they are too dark and with dull colours. If anyone can help with suggestions on where to search, please message or comment, thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for rider-waite fans, 29 Dec 2007
S. Roxburgh (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
I bought these cards after having bought the normal size original rider-waite cards. They are gorgeous! The colours contain the blues, missing from the 'original' pack.I think this giant pack is a giant version of the 'rider-waite' cards (as opposed to 'original rider-waite').

The pictures are the same line drawings as presented in Waites' book 'the pictorial key to the tarot', which I prefer over those on the 'original' cards e.g. faces on some cards do differ markedly. The size does make shuffling difficult, but that is a minor draw-back; shuffling will have to be on the table which still works.Do buy them, they come with a great little booklet and some notes on Pamela Coleman-smith. These are really great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blitz damage, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
A few people have remarked that the colour on these giant cards is not as bright or defined as they would like, the reason is the original printing plates for these cards were lost in the London Blitz. Now all the copies of the original RW pack have to be taken from a facsimile made after the war, its part of the folklore of the cards. So take the blur and misted colours, which only becomes apparent on the larger sizes, for what they are, Part of their history!

3.0 out of 5 stars The bigger the better!, 2 April 2001
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
The bigger the better? That saying definitely applys this time. They are the original Rider Waite with the original images. A must have for the modern divinist, and great for begginners too. The only thing I disliked is that the book was rather small and which meant the writing was small, but I suppose it means it's easy to carry around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 'giant' as described! (Unless you have really small hands maybe?), 30 May 2014
Loobizaz (North Yorshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
These cards are good quality - I don't know why some people have said that they are poorly printed?
I would question the description of 'giant size' as these cards were disappointingly not the largest that I have seen, and thought I was buying. Large would have been a better word to describe the cards.
They are a really nice addition to my collection of tarot cards and I would recommend them - just don't expect 'giant' cards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the falsely named "Original" set., 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
The images on this 1971 set are taken from the best surviving images and show much better quality that the Plagiarized "Original Rider Wait Tarot" that was done by a much inferior artist. The print quality is good as it the plastic / card stock. very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cards, great size, 12 April 2007
C. Downes "card reader" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size (Cards)
There's something very kitsch about these giant tarot cards which attracted me to them and I must say that they're great for readings on the floor because of their size. The classic Rider-Waite templates designed by Pamela Colman Smith are so easy to connect with, and having the images translated onto these beautiful large cards makes readings far more able to interpret. Ace.

Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size
Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Giant Size by Arthur Edward Waite (Cards - 2 Dec 1993)