on 30 September 1998
This is a beautiful large-size deck. The art work by Yury Shakov is magnificent. Aparently he did each card full size with tiny brushes. The images are different than the Rider-Waite, but have many (most?) of the items on the Rider-Waite cards. For example, The Magician has the Wand, the Sword, the Pentacles, and the Cup. Shakov has expressed some of his own opinions in the cards. The face of Stalin is on The Devil. I have to agree with him. Other cards use Russian saints or figures from Russian mythology.
I've used the deck for a few readings. It gives a different mood to the reading--not better or worse, just different. I am used to the Rider-Waite deck, so it takes a little time to become familiar with the Russian deck--but it was time well spent.
It's an enjoyable and beautiful deck to work with.
on 1 February 1999
Very attractive indeed. Even though I don't usually use these cards to read, I simply enjoy owning them!