Format: Cards|Change

on 11 March 2005
I took up tarot after a reading that pretty much said I should take up tarot. There is a myriad of titles out there but for some reason I was drawn to these and i'm glad I was. In the pack you get a book explaining the cards, the cards and a chart for doing the celtic cross divination pattern.
The book itself goes into the history of tarot before approaching each card and telling you why it shows the picture it shows along with it's meanings when used in divination. It was written in 1910 and so mixes a tiny amount of latin and french in places, nothing to worry about and it is clear to understand if you take your time. it includes details of the celtic cross as well as 2 other patterns, I find the cross works fine for me, but it's good to have the others.
The cards are beautiful, well made and feel good when you are doing a reading. They come with a little booklet for interpretation which is not nearly as useful as the book.
The chart is fine if you are taking this as a game, if you are using it more seriously, you will learn the pattern and all it's positions before embarking on readings and will not need it.
It's a lot to learn so anyone thinking they can become an overnight prophet is in for a shock, you need to be willing to take your time because a card can mean so much in relation to where it comes out in your divination pattern.
As for being used as a divination tool, I did my first reading for a friend without any prompting from him until I had completed it and summerised all my findings. I was right on every single thing I had said including things that had happened to him that morning.
For me the book is what makes the difference, without it the little booklet the came in the cards just doesn't go into enough detail and I wouldn't have been as accurate in my readings.
If you are thinking of starting out, then this is for you. If you are already an experienced reader and just want another deck, you might be able to find these cheaper on their own but you could do a lot worse than have the book for reference.
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2009
The cards in the Pack are of good quality with great detailed imagery which is exactly what I was looking for as my previous set were very hard to identify. The pack came with a celtic cross spread layout sheet with all the explanations written by the side, which I loved. The only downside was the book, which was very wordy and went into great detail about the origin of the images but gave only brief interpretations, which if you are trying to build on your skills isn't very helpful. I got better interpretations off the internet which I use in conjunction with my cards now. Overall though, it's a nice set.
on 18 August 2005
The Universal Waite cards are simply the best cards EVER to learn to read tarot with. Full of symbolism, beautiful colours, illustrated pip cards....they are my favourite deck.
However, the book they came packaged with is an archaic 100 year old book by A E Waite which is not particularly helpful in learning the cards, in my opinion. Tarot has moved on SO much since that book was written. The book is written by a Victorian and is well past its sell by date - tarot card readers have moved on in leaps and bounds since he wrote this book.
Buy the cards, however, together with a REALLY good book for learning the tarot - Tarot For Your Self by Mary K Greer, which has helped me go in depth into the cards in a way no other book has.
on 22 May 2005
This set is equaly wonderful for the learner or the more experienced reader. With beautiful, clear and colourful illustrations they look and feel very nice.
This set is made of a good quality card that wears well and the accompanying book is also good quality and easy to read and understand.
A very pleasant, traditional deck that is a joy to use.
on 29 December 1997
I am a first-time Tarot diviner, but found the set very easy to use. There is alot of information made available, and the pictures are very beautiful. This is the only deck I have ever used, but I really like it alot. So, even though I don't have alot to judge by, I would reccommend this Tarot set.
on 19 October 2009
Great set and value for money, I had previously used the original Waite Tarot Deck and as great as they are too, the colours in this universal pack are much nicer and easier to see especially the small details which can be hard to see in the original pack. The details and colours are often refered to when you read the Tarot books, so this will make a difference when learning the cards.

I am sooo pleased with my new deck.

Enjoy!
on 1 June 2010
I was given this set as a gift some time ago. I must confess that I never really had much of an interest in Tarot reading, but the book that comes with these cards is written in such a way that it grabs your interest very quickly. There is a chart included with the set, which allows for basic card reading.
The cards themselves though are the star of the show. They are beautifully illustrated, and very clear.
I'd recommend this set to anyone who's curious about Tarot reading, and who'd like a nice gentle introduction.
on 22 June 2011
There is a mini book accompaning the cards and bookset, it is a small reference book, however although it small it is comapct and allowed you to explore what the cards mean. I think that if you would like to understand the cards more you would need a more comprehensive book, the one that is supplied is very helpful with the cards discription but not the meaning behind them.
The atcual Cards are beautiful.
on 25 January 2013
We didn't expect to get such a high quality product.We bought something similar a while ago but no comparison can be made between them products. My niece is well chuffed about ir.Thank you very much.Silviu
on 24 July 2012
Being a beginner/novice, I am pleased that I picked this traditional set for its reviews and design. Having the additional book with them was also helpful as is the little leaflet that you get anyway.