Format: Cards|Change

on 5 May 2001
I bought this deck before really knowing anything about tarot, and now I wish I had chosen a bit more carefully. The pictures on the cards are very simple and are of the "pip" variety, so it is difficult to develop your own associations. Also I find I have become a little too dependant on the keywords and meanings actually printed on the cards themselves. Now I have found out a bit more about tarot, I would prefer to rely more on my own feelings about the cards, rather than just what is written on them. I've only had the deck for about 2 months, but already want to move on to a deck which "speaks" to me a bit more. I was hoping to learn the basics from this deck, but I found I still needed help from a book..... my advice, buy a book first, then choose your deck. Many beginners books include advice on choosing a deck anyway. Starting with a more traditional deck may be more complicated at first, especially as you will have to refer to a book on a regular basis, but probably worth it in the long run. Try a book like "Step-by-Step Tarot" by Terry Donaldson for example, which helps you get to know the cards for yourself.
on 15 May 1999
I use this deck with my on-line Mystery School students. It works beautifully because the meanings are printed right on the cards. No fumbling thru the little booklet, frantically trying to associate meaning to picture. This helps your mind make that association all the quicker! And for folks who do telephone card readings for their clients, there is no other deck. If you get a brain cramp, again, the meaning suggestions, like a cue-card, are right there in front of you. The artwork isn't as pretty as some of the new decks, but that's because this one is based on the oldest existing deck, Marseilles, currently in a Museum in France. The minor arcana is primitive, too, but again it's a nice kind of primitive-ness harking back to the days when all students of the Tarot had to draw, paint and create their own Tarot decks. What a job that must have been. This deck's art looks like that---created by an everyday person, you or me. (Unless you're an artist, that is!) Yet, all the symbols and colors are accurate and visible. I recommend this deck to anyone who is self-conscious or worried about their skill. You can use this deck to do readings, even play poker or other card games with as you memorize the meanings and get a feel for the Tarot. Then you switch to a more artistic, more beautiful deck with no meanings anywhere in sight---except nicely stored in your mind's library!
on 24 June 1999
My fear. when I purchased this pack, was that there would only be one or two 'keywords' but there is more than enough choice to explain your specific thoughts. I also like the way they have printed the reverse card meanings so you are able to read that section as the card is reversed.
The only problem I have is that it is all too easy to read and rely on the words and forget to take note of the actual 'card', especially when in a good flowing reading. I would still recommend it though.
on 16 November 2014
Cards are pretty,colourful and simplistic;the indications written on each card are very good and useful.This pack is much cheaper than many Tarot packs and therefore very good value.If you are confused by the myriad meanings of the cards this pack should help.
on 13 July 2015
Great for a starter pack.